They propose to declare obesity as a public health problem

fer's profile photo   04/26/2008 7 a.m.

propose to declare obesity as a public health problem in Colombia

Bogotá, Apr 25 (EFE) .- A bill that studies from today a commission of the Senate of Colombia seeks to declare obesity as a public health problem, given the figures that show that almost half of Colombians suffer from overweight.

The initiative, which has already fulfilled the cycle of debates in the House of Representatives, now seeks the approval of the Senate to become law.

According to project arguments, it is "a public health problem, because it is a direct cause of heart, circulatory and colon problems, high cholesterol, stress, depression, hypertension, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, among others. "

49 percent of women between the ages of 14 and 64 and 39 percent of men in this same age range suffer from obesity, according to the initiative.

The project arguments warn that "children are also being visibly affected by these problems" and specify that "about 15 percent of children under 14 suffers overweight" in the country.

In the initiative, the State is expected to provide the total coverage of health services for the problems associated with overweight.

This coverage includes attention, medications, nutrition programs, education, healthy food and good eating habits, physical activity and surgeries in necessary cases.

Likewise, the State would promote a "food and nutritional security policy", with educational, cultural, artistic, sports and nutritional campaigns for the prevention of obesity.

It should also encourage the consumption of fruits, vegetables, vegetables, cereals and dairy to achieve a balanced and healthy diet in the Colombian population, according to the speakers of the project.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/26/2008 7 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

And I wonder if it is really necessary that the State gets into issues like this ... because it opens a "dangerous" route, if you now have kilos of more ... because not also penalize those who do not do sports? ... or those who drink more beers from the account? ... and why not control what people do on the weekend? ... Anyway, I really didn't see that this is helpful ...

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
04/26/2008 7:03 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, I am quite pissed off on this subject.

Why, instead of always penalizing the victim, in this case to the obese, the true culprits of obesity or so many other health problems are not penalized?

I explain myself: in Spain the smoker is penalized, but it is the state administration itself that, while penalizing, sells tobacco.And do not facilitate the list of the pernicious ingredients that are added to make it more addictive.

Nor is it monitored that foods are manufactured with sufficient guarantees.Additives are allowed whose side effects are unknown to us.The precooked are exaggeratedly high in fats, salt and sugars, as well as the Fast Food menus.

Television does nothing but announce for the snacks of the Bollerías Insanas, disguising them as "fun" and leaving the subliminal message that a mother who loves her child cannot leave him without such or that snack or candy.

I remember that once Celia accompanied me to the purchase, and asked me for frozen chicken nuggets, ready to fry, with a tarrine sauce.I said: "I buy them with a condition, that you first read the list of ingredients and tell me if you are willing to eat what it says"
He read it and automatically returned the box to the freezer, telling me: "Jo, Mom, so the desire is removed"

Do you really want to take care of our health?Well, the pesticides watches;and the antibiotics that give them cattle;and manufacturing processes, and so many things.

Anyway, I could continue, but I get a bad milk ...

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/26/2008 11:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.