20% diabetics loses 15 working hours every month

DiabetesForo's profile photo   06/07/2011 4:13 p.m.

one in five people with diabetes loses up to fifteen hours of work per month due to hypoglycemia

A new study, sponsored by Novo Nordisk, which analyzes the loss of labor productivity as a result of hypoglycemia, has been published in the magazine ‘Value in Health’

Copenhagen (Denmark) (8-6-11) .- Almost one in five people with diabetes is absent from their work, at least, a complete working day as a consequence of hypoglycemia.A new study, sponsored by Novo Nordisk, which analyzes the loss of labor productivity as a result of hypoglycemia, has been published in the magazine ‘Value in Health’.It included 1,404 people with type 1 diabetes and type 2 of the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and France, which had reported a hypoglycemic event during the previous month.

The main conclusions of the study were two: the average loss of labor productivity, per person and month, after an event of nocturnal hypoglycemia, was 14.7 hours, with an economic value of $ 2,294 lost in labor productivity per person and year;And hypoglycemic events usually occur during the night, and one in five people was late for work or lost the entire working day due to that night episode.

Those events that occurred during the hours of work resulted in 18.3 percent of workers who had to leave their job before or lose an entire day.

"Many people with diabetes have to regularly face hypoglycemia," explained the principal researcher and health psychologist, Dr. Mery Brod.“It is not just about the impact that it has on the patient's working life, but also increases the need for the patient to become more glucose controls throughout the day.In addition, night hypoglycemia are a challenge for people with diabetes. ”

The study also revealed that patients required 5’6 extra glucose tests to measure their glucose levels during the seven days of hypoglycemia and 24’9 percent contacted a healthcare professional as a result of the event.Among all these patients in insulin treatment, 25 percent reduced the dose of insulin after hypoglycemia.

The maintenance of adequate glycemic control levels has long -term advantages for people with diabetes in the reduction of associated complications.The symptoms of a hypoglycemic event often include palpitations, tremors, hunger, sweating, difficulty concentrating or confusion.People with diabetes in insulin treatment may experience one to three events of these characteristics per month.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/07/2011 4:13 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I don't understand what after a night hypoglycemia loses the entire workday ...: Shock:-//

I suppose that they should refer to a very severe hypo ... I think we have all had 50.40 hypos or even 30 and something ... go back and at most at 2 hours you are operational. If that happens during the night, nothing blocks me with the loss of working hours.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/07/2011 4:17 p.m.

It doesn't fit me either.

In my case, it is not a nocturnal hypo that makes me lose productivity the next day, but rather a nightlink, which leaves me balded, because one is no longer for jogging :)) :)) :))

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
06/08/2011 6:10 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

In these days I was admitted I thought a lot about this subject.I am quite afraid that some kind of discrimination may arise when finding a job ... and as things are with the issue of job scarcity and with this type of studies ...

I've been unemployed for 5 months and I haven't found anything yet and I would not like anything to denied me a job because of diabetes.

Any of you have suffered any kind of discrimination when finding a job for this topic?

Host's profile photo
Host
06/08/2011 8:46 a.m.

Host,
Do not say in the interviews that you are diabetic ... when you carry at work a few months and realize that there is nothing in you to do the job, you say it (if you want)
I have been in the same company for 4 years, and the colleagues learned a year and the bosses do not know (not hidden, but no one has asked me ...)

In a company that I was doing practices, it gave me a very strong hypoglycemia in the middle of a meeting and took sugar without anyone noticing, and when we left I told a friend, grab it to lower the stairs that I fall ... my myHe boss asked me what happened to me and told him that I had given me a downturn, but that I was fine and told me very serious that that could not happen again or would have to take action ... (haha and that was onlycharging 250 euros per month, what a face!)

tica's profile photo
tica
06/08/2011 8:58 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

My mother !!!!
I have worked for more than 10 years and I think that in all this time I have lost in total ....... 30 minutes for all the hypos I've had !!!!

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
06/24/2011 6:30 a.m.

I have gone to interviews, I have not said anything ... then the times I have worked when I had already had some time if I said it, it has not been a problem ...
But I think it can influence or not hire you, because some entrepreneurs have task and can affect articles like this.
And of course I think 15 hours is a barbarity.In total with 22 years that I have worked about 11 months in 3 different companies and I have not lost anything, just once to do the background (a few hours) and some minutillos to eat some fruit or something. (I think everyonediabetics or we have no right to snack or breakfast) ...
Regarding going to the doctor for recipes, I am lucky because my parents or sister do it to me, there you can waste more time.

roxio89's profile photo
roxio89
06/27/2011 4:25 p.m.

Hehehe, very good study.In my case, I solve them in a short time, since I carry my "kit" by hand, juice and 4 cookies, and I continue to work unless the descent is strong that I go up to the machine and buy salads or potatoes and take advantageTo take a coffee.

Now, no comparison point with the lost time of my smokers that minimal every hour loses 10 min.To smoke, when it's not every 30 min.I solve my hiccups, in my position, and sometimes nobody finds out, because I do not even do the test since I notice that I am low and I cannot at that time.

I thank you because my compis and bosses from the first moment are very affectionate and interested.I have only found a good vibes, concern and interest.
Now, it is also true that I am not publishing my illness.

IMADIS's profile photo
IMADIS
06/27/2011 6:01 p.m.

I think the question is whether it is a jeta or not ... if you are a diabetic jeta you can miss many hours, if you are a non -diabetic jet ........ they are lost.

If you are not a jeta, whether or not you diabetic, do not miss hours.

Unfortunately ..... there is a lot of jeta in all categories.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
07/07/2011 5:22 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.