{'en': 'Why does glucose get up at night?', 'es': '¿Por que se me sube por las noches la glucosa?'} Image

Why does glucose get up at night?

FOKINITO's profile photo   06/07/2011 5:06 p.m.

Hello,

It would be very grateful if someone could tell me why I have glucose over 90 and 120 and at night I get to 190 - 240.

Thank you all in advance!

All the best!

P.S.In case it serves something, I punctuate me before the meals 2 units of fast insulin and once a day 4 units of slow insulin.

Thank you.

FOKINITO's profile photo
FOKINITO
06/07/2011 5:06 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome Fokinito.

You have not said the type of diabetes you have, I suppose you have type 1 diabetes and because of the doses that you say that you are injected I suppose you are in that initial period in which there is still its own insulin that is called "honeymoon"because they seem some somewhat low doses (assuming that you are an adult person), if that is the case it is possible that the "honeymoon" is running out and therefore you may need to raise the doses of insulin you need.

You have not said either the type of insulins you use, you have only referred to fast insulin and slow insulin which is quite ambiguous ... by rapid insulin it can be understood that you use regular or fast insulin (such as Actrapid) or an action analogueFast (Humalog, Novorapid, Apidra) in the same way by slow insulin can be encompassed both Insulate NPH and Levemir and Lantus.
As you said that you only put a slow insulin injection a day I suppose you will be using Lantus and I imagine that with Lantus what you are using at meals is a rapid action analogue (Humalog, Novorapid, Apidra).

Returning to the elevation of glucose at night (and assuming that you are with lantus) when an insulin is used as lantus the problem is not only to find the appropriate dose, the time at which you are injected by the lantus PQ is not very importantIt works the same during all the hours it lasts, it is more "strong" in its early hours (it has a peak, although soft but they have it, and there are people who notice it about 5 hours of the prick others about 6 hours others ...)If it happens to you that at night you have a tendency to be high the puncture of Lantus it is better to put it at night to match those glycemia elevations with the hours that the lantus is more "strong".

All I have written are assumptions ... If you want more concrete answers, it has more things (say in an explicit way what kind of diabetes you are, how old you are and how long you have been in diabetes, what exact treatment you have, if you use Lantus to whichYou put it on ... etc).

Greetings.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/07/2011 6:21 p.m.

First of all, thank you very much for your clarification, I will now give you some more details.
I am 15 years old, I am diabetic for 5 months the diabetes is class 1 I punctu
thatw I always put it on about 3 pm.
I hope that with this you can inform me a little more.
Thank you so much.

FOKINITO's profile photo
FOKINITO
06/07/2011 6:43 p.m.

Everything indicates that you are in that initial period that is called a remission phase (or "honeymoon") During that period there is still its own insulin and the necessary insulin doses are low (sometimes you can even suppresssome of the punctures).
That initial period has an indeterminate duration (the same to a baby lasts the "honeymoon" a few months and a 30 -year -old person who begins in type 1 diabetes lasts about two years) lasts what lasts... when it is ending it is time to raise the exogenous insulin doses.

In the case you comment, it could be there (that the "honeymoon" begins to end) but it can also be for something else ... there is a night phenomenon that is called feman the dawn or phenomenon of the dawn by whichAn elevation of blood glucose at night can be"

If the matter were caused by the end of the "honeymoon" it would haveFrom Lantus at night so that the first hours (in which it is more "strong" the lantus) to better cover that phenomenon of dawn.

All this is better to consult with your educator or with your endocrine.

Greetings.

DiabetesForo
06/07/2011 7:15 p.m.

Thank you very much TNT for everything
When I go to the doctor and I will eat something I will tell you here in the forum although with what you have told me I stay quite quieter
All the best.

FOKINITO's profile photo
FOKINITO
06/08/2011 9:51 a.m.

Hello, I am new in this forum.And mine is just an opinion.
The first thing that since June you published the message I suppose you have already corrected the glucose rise.
I just tell you that the schedule and doses are the most important first modify the time you wear the lantus, and then if everything goes the same, the doses of Lantus go up.
The body needs rapid action analogos for meals, but then we need what is called basal insulin, which is what we need to live.
Therefore if you have 15 years I think that what happens at night your body secretes the growth hormone, therefore your basal insulin needs are greater.
My advice is to increase the Lantus.It is only an opinion consult with your endocrine.
In growth states the body needs up to 30% more insulin.
Get more controls a day
All the best

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
10/12/2011 4:37 p.m.

At night, at dinner, check if the same thing happens to you if you do not have things like potatoes, rice, pizza ... are things, after the effect of the rapid (2-3 hours) rises again to infinity

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
12/24/2016 8:03 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

Hello, it is my first to see that I write my thing is very different I have you 63 years and 25 of diabetes and I am having that high sugar change at dawn I only put insulin once in the morning insulinalargina that I can do xfavor help me

Rosario Martinez's profile photo
Rosario Martinez
01/16/2017 3:55 p.m.

Go to the endocrine.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
01/16/2017 4:34 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

It looks like a phenomenon of dawn or losing night (phenomenon of Somgonyi).It would be good to see what happens with a continuous meter or failing that with a glucose measurement about 5 - 6 hours after bedtime.It happens to me many times, it is due to the secretion of antagonistic hormones to insulin in order to prepare the body for awakening

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
01/16/2017 11:56 p.m.

In addition to what has already been said (always consult the endocrine, adolescent phase with different needs, upload to dawn ...) we must also take into account other factors, such as what is eaten at dinner and what has already been said about the time of theLantusIn my adolescence I put a mixtard (about 70% fast and 30% slow).And I was doing well.
Each metabolism (person) is different: we metabolize foods more quickly than others.Influence what you eat in each intake.Remember that if you eat "fat" food (for example, fresh cheese "netilla" cheese) you will delay (and much) the absorption of hydrates with what the rapid action will seem that it is going well in the post -composition, when the reality is thatYou have not yet done the glucose rise peak after the intake.That led me to go to bed with post-makestate (dinners) of 100 and in the morning with 180. until it is clear (I speak of an era that Lantus used).Verify with your endocrine all this and the optimal time of injection of Lantus.There are people who do better in the morning and others at night before sleeping for the peak of that insulin.
I am now with threeiba and better: it doesn't matter if I put it at 20.00 every day or at 23:00, it is not sensitive to this (verified in clinical studies).
My last advice: avoid taking dinner with a lot of fat and controls well with how much you arrive after dinner to see what is due that high morning.Take a notebook and for a week write down what you dinner, what you have after dinner, what you get from Lantus and how much you get up.It will help you make decisions well informed.He also thinks that stress influences: I get a lot when I am stressed for something, you must take it into account.In adolescence, almost everything was broken, so it was a roller coaster.Now they say that I am the quieter uncle in the world: everything is learned.
You will tell us here how it went.

DiabetesForo
01/22/2017 7:25 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.