Protest in Eurocamara for limiting fluids in airplanes

fer's profile photo   05/27/2008 2:20 p.m.

I am sure that we all have anecdotes about the problem that generates us to climb to an plane with insulin ... I have a couple that are for note, come on ... I have felt identified with this young man ...

the young man, who suffers cystic fibrosis and diabetes, must take more than 40 pills and medicinal fluids
AGENCIES / ELPAIS.com - BRUSLAS / BARCELONA - 05/27/2008

The young Catalan David Raya, who suffers cystic fibrosis and diabetes, has presented today before the Eurocamara request for requests a complaint against the rule that limits the amount of liquids that can be carried in the luggage of the hands of the airplanes.As explained, this regulation causes constant problems to transport the medications it needs to be treated because it is not public and applies arbitrarily.Therefore, he has claimed to be supposed or modified.

The European Commission has lamented the difficulties with Raya, has announced that this legislation will soon be published, and stressed that it can only be suppressed when machines are developed that can detect in the airport controls explosive liquids in the luggagehand.

In his appearance before the request for requests, Raya explained that for his diseases he must take more than 40 pills and other liquid medications.The day after the entry into force of fluid restrictions, on November 7, 2006, he had to take a Berlin plane to Barcelona.And, when these medications have with it, at the Berlin airport they applied "very exhaustive" and "very humiliating" controls, as recorded in their complaint.

"My medications have become a weapon of mass destruction"

"My insulins, my antibiotics, my aerosols and my machine to vaporize the medication had become weapons of mass destruction from night and I in an alleged jihadist with a master's degree in chemistry to be able to mix all my medications and create aExplosive, "said the Eurodiputados.He has said that, due to his diabetic condition, he always carries with him a can of Coca-Cola to recover blood sugar levels."In some airports, Coca-Cola has been able to climb with me and in others it has been declared dangerous and suspicious," he said.In addition, every time you take a plane, you must show the police and security guards a medical history that "is confidential or should be."

The representative of the commission, Marion Knoben, explained that the regulation contemplates exceptions for medicines, which cover "both medicines in the strict sense and other liquids, including alcohol without alcohol, when used for medical purposes."The Community Executive official has assured that Brussels plans to publish all the annexes of the standard on fluid restrictions that are still secrets to achieve greater transparency.

A "dark" rule

The United Left Representative, Willy Meyer, said that it is a "obscurantist" norm and recalled that the general lawyer of the Luxembourg Court has asked to declare "inexistent."In this sense, he said that the announcement of the commission will publish its content shows that the battle of David Raya "will not fall into a broken sack."In the same vein, the representative of the Greens, David Hammerstein, was expressed for whom the rule on liquids creates "Kafkian situations.""They are dark and secret rules and thus a rule of law cannot work," he lamented.

More information:

- Resolution of the European Parliament, of September 2007, in which the commission is required to make public the Security Regulations in theAirports (paragraph 8):

Link ->

- Security regulations (description):

Link ... %a9rea.pdf >

fer's profile photo
fer
05/27/2008 2:20 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The meaningless controls of airports lose another battle

• The European Commission yields and accepts to publish the secret norm that regulates security
• David Raya suffers from another abuse in the Prat and discovers in Brussels that is unjustified

David Raya, the young man of L'Hospitalet of Llobregat sick with cystic fibrosis and diabetes that has problems traveling with his medications, won yesterday in Brussels another battle in the fight against the regulations of airport controls.In response to the exhibition he made of his case before the European Parliament Petition Commission, the representative of the European Commission promised to "publish the rules in the Official Gazette", ending its secret character, and to "look for alternatives"On the veto to the liquids to end the inconvenience to the passengers.

But beyond the official promises-you want to see when they will take place-Raya also won the battle of ideas.During his trip yesterday, he suffered in the Prat a new abuse that perfectly staged before Europarliamentarians and media the delusional of a situation in which all, citizens and security guards, are forced to comply with a regulation whose content does not know.

secondary issue
The Barcelona airport guards removed the can of Coca-Cola that always carries with it as the most effective lifeguard before a sudden sugar downturn.The Civil Guard fell importance to the issue and settled that it could buy the boat in any of the bars that have passed control."Although I have explained it, he does not know that it is sometimes a matter of seconds," Raya told El Periódico, who accompanied him on his journey from Barcelona.
So far everything almost normal.We could be facing a little flexible guard that applies to feet together a very strict standard that prevents the boats with liquids with more than 100 milliliters.Or before many insensitive guards, because the same had happened to him in other airports.But Marion Knoben, the representative of the European Commission, revealed yesterday that the norm includes an exception for "medical fluids, alcohol without alcohol and dietary products" that are necessary for certain people.Raya protects the regulations before the Guard of El Prat, before the guards of all airports, but neither the agents knew it because it was declared secret!

The most delusional moment came minutes later.In the press conference after the debate, Ignasi Guardans, the Eurodiputo who heads the fight against the controls, raised a folio in the air that did not add more than 45 lines along both sides."It is the secret annex that details the prohibited products. A friend has had, because I have no right to see him as a representative of the citizens," he lamented.And, the annex, in its section I, effectively establishes an exception for "the liquid" that will be "used during the flight due to medical needs or special diets."

Guardans wondered why a document so simple that it must already run from hand to hand is not published once to "know what to stick to."In a lucky metaphor, he compared the situation of airports to that of breathalyzer controls in which each traffic agent decided which rate is applied to the driver depending on his mood because the legal limit was secret.

drastic measures
When will the absurd end?This is the crux of the matter.Willy Meyer, Eurodiputa de IU and a member of the request for requests, recalled that by other channels the commission had already advanced what yesterday promised in the European Parliament."You can't spend another day without complying. In the process that will continue from now on the line, the camera can consider taking actionDrastic but is not carried out immediately, "he warned.

If the European Commission continues to give long, the EU Court of Justice will always remain, which in the next few days will be pronounced after listening to the general lawyer-the equivalent of the prosecutor-propose to declare "non-existently" the regulation because it violates allCommunity legislation having not been made public.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/28/2008 3:26 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, it seems very good that David Raya has "protested", because despite the fact that the law allows traveling with liquid medications, public opinion should always know the other side of the medal, go, that not always diabetes is to reach EverestI don't know if I explain myself ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/29/2008 6:10 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.