Maximum number of insulin units in children

Velia's profile photo   06/02/2008 4:48 a.m.

Good morning !!!, the other day this theme came out in a post of another thread.Pumba, the mother of a diabetic child was a bit rushed because she thought the little one was getting a lot of insulin.I knew something about the subject and I think I calmed her up, but on the last visit to the endo I asked her directly and this was her answer.
In children the recommended maximum is 1.2 units.By Kg. Weight, it can be increased to 1.5 units.(In case of special situations) ... and in adolescents up to 1.7 units can be used.By Kg. Weight ...
Kisses.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
06/02/2008 4:48 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Velia, thanks for this information, but to keep the glycemia well, you would have to use more insulin units, do you know if that would cause complications?Would you cause weight gain? I would like to know what consequences you can have more insulin than the one you have indicated.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/02/2008 5:25 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Last year, Maria had a pulmonary infection that was not known if it was pneumonia or allergic type and was admitted 8 days with strong fevers, the whole body was deformed, swelling like a globe, something frightening.
The thing is that he did not respond to insulin, the endo said that he had become insulinist, they put a continuous infusion bomb and they were putting the dose at the rate of 2 uds x kilo .
They did not follow any guideline, it had to fight that since it did not fall from 400.
When he sent them almost, they suddenly fell to 30. If we do not get to guard 24 hours to know.They put glucagon directly into the way to overcome it.A damn experience that I hope will not repeat again.
When you see the staff run through the plant, bad, bad.
What I deduced is that this is very complicated, it is not exact science and the only thing you can do is be on guard.

DiabetesForo
06/02/2008 6:07 a.m.

Thank you very much Velia, for the information.It is good for me because, as you know, my great explains little, I think because he knows less.For that rule, I'm putting noe 1 unit per kilo, that's fine, right?

Jose, when reading you, I put my hair standing.Something similar happened to us with Noe during Holy Week, in an income for a viral infection.To the point of the coma and delirando, the nurse still said that "what a crying girl you have."Anyway, yes, I experience that I hope we don't have to see again.

DiabetesForo
06/02/2008 9:59 a.m.

I am neither doctor nor nurse, but from what I have read and seen there should not be a maximum dose ... each one puts the amount of insulin he needs.

I have seen Crios/as with 30 -and -cycle guidelines of Lantus units ... or 26 and 18 of Levemir ... Anyway, that each one is a world.

DiabetesForo
06/02/2008 10:55 a.m.

It always seemed to me that Angel became too insulin but that it is because he did not exercise, if he did something the units would surely have to lower them, he puts himself from Lantus 46 a few days ago we had to climb, despite the peak of the peak of the13,30 but there was a very high and we are already better and novo rapid according to demand but we have had in this case: Shock: as you see 46 units it stops many although it weighs 55 kilos but it is that it is quickly puts few: shock :.This at any time must be modified again.

Peace

DiabetesForo
06/02/2008 12:22 p.m.

Marcita, according to my endo, in normal conditions, corresponds 1 units per kgr of body weight.
But what is normal?With this sickness there is nothing exact, as Owash says, insulin on demand.
Paz, I also sound a lot 46 of Lantus, thinking that Maria gets 6 of Levemir.But of course in total between Novomix, Rapid and Levemir adds 21 you more or less its weight.
If Angel gets quickly, the weight/UDS ratio is also coinciding.
: Idea: This is coincided with this relationship: ?:

DiabetesForo
06/03/2008 3:30 a.m.

According to the theory, the ideal proportion would be 50 to 60% basal insulin and 40 to 50% rapid insulin of the total units that we put in the day, but it is only theory, I think like Owash, the guidelineIdeal is what keeps us with glycemia.For example, in my case, if this rule is fulfilled, more or less I am at 50% basal and 50% fast and I put on 0.5 units per kg.I understand that in children it is different, they are growing and their guidelines must constantly change and require more insulin than adults.
Paz If your child is well controlled, do not worry if you need much or little insulin, the important thing is to be fine.

DiabetesForo
06/03/2008 4:31 a.m.

I believe that the answer to the question should be provided by the result that is obtained and not the standard tables precisely because they are the latter and do not fit the variants that we all know, go, that we all know when we are using more doses of the convenient, in normal conditions, of course, since if my diet is not adequate, the only exercise I do is the compulsive tab etc, etc., surely to obtain the same results I will have to use a dose greater than the one I would really need or byThe opposite too strict control.If in the long run it can be harmful?Well, it is possible that, without going any further with the inhaled insulin, one of the side effects was precisely the appearance of anti-insulin antibodies, seen the excessive dose that should be used to achieve the same results and those antibodies out there dancing surely have an impact.somehow

Anyway, as you have already told you, you should not worry about quantity, but for the quality of the results.

DiabetesForo
06/03/2008 7:36 a.m.

Following the proportion of Prado, I think Noe also takes it well, because of the 15 undes a day, 7 are from Levemir, just under 50% slow.

But as you say, sometimes more sometimes less.

DiabetesForo
06/03/2008 7:52 a.m.

The next time I go to the end I will ask the consequences.I suspect that one of them can be insulin resistance, weight gain, but I have doubts if there will be more important ones.In any case we are talking about normal situations, it is evident that in the faceAvoid major complications ...
Kisses.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
06/04/2008 4:09 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Velia, thanks beautiful.What would I do without you!Kisses.

DiabetesForo
06/04/2008 9:59 a.m.

The only doubt that we must never have diabetes is whether or not to consult the doctor himself, precisely because the diabetics are the ones who handle the disease and the means to combat it so it is so important to be autonomous in theirmanagement such as not forgetting that despite everything we continue to need help.

Both excess information and quite the opposite can become a serious problem so before making a serious decision: "Insulin decreased despite being in perennial hyperglycemia because my neighbor of the fifth uses less than me or not goingTo be that the antibodies come to me "... without a doubt consult the case itself

Anyway, diabetes, how great ..... m, without forgiveness:-/

DiabetesForo
06/04/2008 10:37 a.m.

You are right Kalua what works in some does not have to work in others.

I had never heard of the maximum number of units per kg.In children but it is fine to know.

Nicolás weighs 16 kilos and a day has about 12 insulin units but also as not a little more fast than slow.That in normal conditions, when there is viruses by means varies upwards or the loss of light.

mani05's profile photo
mani05
06/05/2008 7:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.