Does metformin lose weight?

kathaysa's profile photo   10/09/2008 3:21 a.m.

Hello chic@s!
It is something that I have been reading ..., and that coming from where I come from .. I worry a lot, really.But I would like to find a "scientific" response to that ... or is it just because of the lack of appetite?Because yes ... the desire to eat has taken them away from a stroke !!
Even so I am trying to make all meals, and do them well, with a lot of effort, but I would not like to go back again, and in my case the weight loss can be the perfect trigger to fall again (I mean anorexia).
It has been very hard for me to have appetite again, many efforts and sacrifices, and now it gives me anger that for a pill all goes to the gate ...

Does insulin have the same side effects?

kathaysa's profile photo
kathaysa
10/09/2008 3:21 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Metformin is a drug used in the control of type II diabetes.It acts mainly reducing glucose (sugar) production by liver.It also delays intestinal glucose absorption and favors that glucose between cells.

The adverse effects of this medication are, in general, unreested but important.Metformin can produce nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and abdominal pain, especially at the beginning of treatment and reversible.It can also cause alterations of taste.

Taken from:

Insulin is something very different.
Oral antidiabetics "squeeze" the pancreas, block the glycose secretion of the liver or sensitize the capture of endogenous insulin.
The exogenous insulin (the one we click) all it does is allow food to enter the cells throughout the body, that is, it provides insulin where there is not.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/09/2008 5:03 a.m.

Thanks Owash !!It was what I understood about the adverse effects, I believe that I fulfill them all !!except abdominal pain.It is true that little by little the nausea will be less, but the loss of appetite is brutal.

The endocrine has told me that my diabetes is type 1, but that it has appeared atypically because it has not given me the Gordo Upon, eating normal I have at most in 300. In principle it has sent me these pills, but I still have evidenceEarrings ... Tomorrow for example I have to do another, I'll tell you ...

You know?I was afraid of insulin, and to tell me that it was type 1, but now that I am finding out how the subject is going, and I read you and others, I am starting to think that it can be a good option
I even believe that the endocrine saw my panic face and told me, "let's try this ... Let's see if we delay that you have to click ..."

kathaysa's profile photo
kathaysa
10/09/2008 11:18 a.m.

Kathaysa, there is one thing that I do not understand in some endocrine, like yours:
If you are, as it seems, type 1, you will need exogenous insulin (injected).What I don't understand is that eagerness to delay insulin, as if it were evil.
If now you do not upload much, it is, surely, because you are in "honeymoon", that is, squeezing the reserves that are left to your pancreas.
I am not a doctor, but I think he is making you take unnecessary risks.Managing a medicine that can cause weight loss to someone who has suffered anorexia seems to me, especially when it is only transitory, and the damage can be much greater than the benefit.

He speaks clearly with her, and, if you are type 1, to leave patches and go to insulin.

In your case, I would ask for a second medical opinion.

I hope I had no more.

Greetings

DiabetesForo
10/09/2008 11:43 a.m.

Holassssss

Copy and hit:
People who are diagnosed with diabetes in whom age or morphotypus do not marry type 1 classic type 2 diabetes;for example.A 36 -year -old person, who has moderately high levels of sugar, what type of diabetes does it have?, This patient is greater and many times sugar levels are not as high as in type 1 diabetes but it is too thin to beA type 2 is probably a 1.5 type without insulin resistance but with decreased insulin secretion.While in this same case if the same person is thin and has very high sugar levels when diagnostic, then the most likely diagnosis is that of type 1 diabetes.
Knowing your type of diabetes will help you better understand the changes that can occur as the years go by and your disease progresses;for example.If he had a diabetes with insulin resistance for years and now he is increasingly uncontrolled with the sulfanilureas that he had been taking, they can do a test of the C peptide and leave very low.Which means that its insulin production is not only ineffective but has also become scarce, it is possible that some association of oral drugs help you some time but will soon need insulin and that is how the natural history of type 2 diabetes andWe have not yet been able to modify with our treatments.
peptide C: It can help us when the other tests have not yet clarified the type of diabetes, what it represents is how much insulin the patient is capable of producing since for each insulin molecule another peptide C is secreted, whenIt is normal or high the most likely diagnosis is type 2 diabetes, when the levels are very low we are faced with a type 1 diabetes, but when the result is almost normal - then we cannot draw conclusions from this test.It is very important when it is at insulin treatment, one must ensure that the blood glucose is 200 mg % 6 superior because otherwise the c peptide can give a low result falsified by the braking of the beta cell.

Perhaps the C peptide is the explanation you are looking for, Kathaysa.
It is one more proof (which is likely to have already done you) and that you should ask your endo when you go.
It tells you if you have insulin reservations (problable type2) or you have no reservations (probable type1).

Ah by the way, I'm a boy :))
Salu2

DiabetesForo
10/09/2008 12:31 p.m.

UPS Thanks for the Owash clarification !!hehe (I mean that you are a boy ... I will get to know you little by little ...)

And thanks to both of you, for your advice ... I think that is the proof that I do tomorrow, I don't know for sure because the role of the endocrine has been left in the hospital, but she commented something like that, which wantedSee how much insulin reserve my pancreas had ... I think I remember ... I'll tell you

Alea, I have consulted with a family friendly endocrine and she thinks the same as you, that if she were she would have put the insulin of the pull, and that for the theme of my anorexia these pills do not favor me anything ... I evenHe said that I went for the emergency room to say that they sat badly ... but I will wait

It may not be sure of all of the type of db that I have because initially he told me what type 2 seemed, because of the way of appearing ... and then seeing the tests he told me "it is clearly type 1, sooner or later you will have youto click "Then I say that I would see my face, and then thought we are going to delay it ....
But the right time I will tell you that I am willing to prick if it is necessary ... I don't play my health anymore.It has cost me enough to recover it ..

kathaysa's profile photo
kathaysa
10/09/2008 3:28 p.m.

Hello, I am another person than just diabetes, three months, it is a bit lost, and wait for your help. Now I will try to summarize my short history. February 26 by chance with a glucometer gave me 500 sugar is then when my starts.journey, head of head day yes and day too, analytical13 glycosilada, the next day Lan tos and novorapid.mes and a half without the controls well although lower that if I start with xigduo tomorrow and night and the perfect controls without novorapid and only 12 ofYou and practically good. Safely, a problem that for me is a calvary the loss of weight even if I am in ideal weight 50 K and 1.55 height I fail to stop losing and I think this is going faster and faster 500 or 600 grams per week,I have commented to the doctor and it does not answer me and for me it is a problem even if you do not believe it.I hope I have explained well and thanks for listening to me

loli's profile photo
loli
05/26/2016 11:01 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.