{'en': 'Hypoglycemia', 'es': 'Hipoglucemia'} Image

Hypoglycemia

fer's profile photo   02/27/2009 12:34 p.m.

Part of what involves living with diabetes is learning to deal with some of the problems that this disease brings.Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar level is one of those problems.All people suffering from diabetes suffer from hypoglycemia occasionally.

Hypoglycemia, sometimes called insulin reaction, may even appear in which we do everything within our reach to control diabetes.Therefore, although many times we cannot avoid it, it is possible to treat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) before it gets worse.For that reason, it is important to know what hypoglycemia is, what are the symptoms and how to treat it.

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?

The symptoms of hypoglycemia are included:

* Tremors
* Dizziness
* sweating
* hunger
* headache
* paleness
* Sudden irritability or changes in behavior, such as crying without apparent cause
* clumsy or spasmodic movements
* Seizures
* Difficulty paying attention, or confusion
* Sensation of tingling around the mouth

How do we realize when the blood sugar level is low?

Part of the task of maintaining diabetes under control is frequently measuring blood sugar level.See with your doctor how often you should measure your blood sugar levels and which ones should be.If the blood control results indicate that the sugar level is low, it is necessary to treat that problem.

You must measure the glycemia level at the hours your doctor has indicated.And, what is even more important, you must measure the level of glycemia every time you feel that you are going down.Once you have measured and proven that the blood sugar level is low, it is important that hypoglycemia treats as soon as possible.

If you have the feeling that a reaction is approaching but you cannot measure the sugar level, it is convenient to treat the reaction instead of waiting.Remember this simple rule: in doubt, act.

How is hypoglycemia about?

The fastest way to increase blood sugar level and treat hypoglycemia is with some kind of sugar, such as 3 glucose tablets (they are sold in pharmacies), 1/2 fruit juice rate or 5- 5-6 hard caramel pieces.

Consult with the health professional who attends or your dietitian to elaborate a list of foods that you can ingest to treat the low level of blood sugar.Then, be sure to always carry at least one class of sugar.

After measuring blood sugar and treating hypoglycemia, wait 15 or 20 minutes and measure the blood sugar level again.If the blood glucose level still continues and the symptoms of hypoglycemia do not disappear, repeat the treatment.When you feel better, continue consuming the usual meals and snacks as planned, to keep the blood sugar level high.

It is important to treat hypoglycemia immediately since it can worsen and causes the loss of knowledge.If you suffer a fainting, you will need immediate treatment, such as a glucagon injection or emergency treatment in a hospital.

Glucagon increases blood sugar level and is injected as insulin.Consult your doctor to extend a glucagon recipe and explain how to use it.It is essential that you teach people around your family and co -workers) how and when to inject glucagon, in case you ever need it.

If it were not possible to get glucagon, they must transfer it to the nearest emergency room to receive treatment by low sugar level inblood.If you need immediate medical attention or an ambulance, someone should call the emergency number of your area (such as 911) to request help.It is convenient to have emergency numbers next to the phone.

If you lose knowledge as a consequence of hypoglycemia, the person who attends must follow these indications:

* Do not inject insulin
* Do not give food or liquids
* Do not put your hands in your mouth
* Do not inject glucagon
* Call the emergency number to request help

How is the low level of blood sugar prevented?

The best way we know to prevent hypoglycemia is the good control of diabetes.The key is to learn to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia.In this way, you can treat hypoglycemia before it gets worse.

Ignorance about hypoglycemia

Some people do not manifest any symptoms when they have hypoglycemia.They can lose knowledge without having noticed that their sugar levels were decreasing.This problem is called "ignorance about hypoglycemia."

Ignorance about hypoglycemia usually happens to people who have suffered diabetes for many years, and it is not something that happens to all.It is more common among people suffering from some neuropathy (nervous damage), people who carry a rigorous control of diabetes and those who take certain medications for the heart or for high blood pressure.

Over the years, although many people continue to have hypoglycemia symptoms, symptoms change.In that case, you can fall into the error of not recognizing a reaction because the sensation is different.

These changes constitute a good reason to control the level of glycemia frequently and to put your family and friends about the symptoms of hypoglycemia.Even when you feel good, it is important that you treat low or descent blood sugar levels.And if on some occasion the blood glucose levels descend less than 50 mg/dl and have no symptoms, consult the team of professionals who attends it.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/27/2009 12:34 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Fer, great thread !!

It is very complete and very well explained.As you put in the end, about changes in symptoms, they can evolve.I have been with diabetes for almost 14 years and when before the dowers identified them by very perceptible tremors with glycemia of 70 or 60;For a couple of years that I deal with Lantus has changed me.I still notice that I say nonsense than normal, but sweats are minor and imperceptible tremors.The hypoglycemia give me tiredness and sleep, and I am talking about that I notice them when I have about 50 ... I have registered some of 30 and peak, and to be the one to react and eat some sugar to upload it.

You have to know everything about this situation;Symptoms, solutions and how to avoid them as much as possible.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/01/2009 7:04 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What damage can cause hypoglycemia?What part of our body affects very low glycemia levels?We know that high levels affect sight, kidneys, etc. But what about the low?:?

Ana Poppe's profile photo
Ana Poppe
03/02/2009 12:15 p.m.

Anapp

Hello .... today I have been in the endo and hoping I read consequences of the hypos (not severe), so by heart I have understood that glucose does not reach the brain and it slows down, and when it has normal figures again it is recovered... But of course, this if you repeat a lot, it gives me that it should not be very good.
Anyway, depending on the link that I leave, in principle nothing shows that hypos (non -severe) harm the long -term brain, ...

Kisses to all.
I'm still fighting these crazy mias figures

ratolina's profile photo
ratolina
03/04/2009 5:08 p.m.

I hit you with news:
Diabetic Hypoglycaiamia analyzes the effects of little metabolic control on the brain

London, February 26 / Prnewswire / -
- The new Diabetic specimen Hypoglycaiamia analyzes the effects of a very low metabolic control on the brain and central nervous system (February 26, 2009)

Diabetic hypolycaiamia ( ), The influential online magazine on diabetes published by Esp Bioscience, heads its new copy with an editorial and an article by Professor Christopher Ryan of the Board Editorial, on the potentially harmful effects of the low metabolic control in the brain and theCentral Nervous System (CNS).

Professor Ryan's editorial focuses on the interesting point that, although hypoglycemia has previously been seen as the main cause of brain damage in children and adults with diabetes, it seems that most hypoglycemia episodes do not have,or have a small permanent effect on the CNS.It emphasizes that diabetic patients can manifest cognitive dysfunction of whether they have been exposed to severe hypoglycemia.

Professor Ryan points out that a long history of little metabolic control increases the risk of brain damage and therefore hyperglycemia can be more harmful to the patient.Its accompaniment article reviews the risks of damage to the CNS associated with recurrent hypoglycemia, concluding that "the recurring episodes of moderate and severe hypoglycemia do not seem to have long -term side effects on the SNC of adults with diabetes."

The glycemic control and the reduction of hyperglycemia are crucial factors in the treatment of diabetes and this was highlighted in the recent statement of a statement by the American Diabetes Association (ADA), the American Heart Association (AHA), and theAmerican College of Cardiology (ACC), highlighting the need of doctors to continue applying an intensive glycemic control strategy to reduce the risk of vascular events (circulation, January 2009).Professor Ryan's article and editorial offers the important message that the low glycemic control can also have harmful effects on the brain and CNS, which has also been confirmed in the MIND Sub-study of the Accord essay (Diabetes Care, February2009).

This copy of Diabetic Hypoglycaiamia also contains the important information of the 44 Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and the 34 Annual Meeting of the International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD), plus an interview with one ofThe main hypoglycemia researchers, Professor Robert Sherwin, who is currently studying how blood glucose is perceived in the CNS and how hypoglycemia affects the brain.
Diabetic Hypoglycaiamia was created and is directed by an editorial committee of hypoglycemia experts led by Professor Brian Frier (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) with the associated editors: Professor Simon Heller (Sheffield, United Kingdom), Professor Christopher Ryan (Pittsburgh,USA) and Dr. Rory McCrimon (Yale, USA).

The magazine is published three times a year, offering an interactive forum for readers to share practical knowledge and opinions about the field of rapid evolution hypoglycemia.To explore the Diabetic Hypoglycaiamia website and its key functions, you can activate our guided tour by clicking on the following link:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/05/2009 1:36 a.m.

@Fer My question is about glucagon.I understood that it should be administered in case of fainting or loss of knowledge.How do you differ if you are facing one or another situation?Why not glucagon in loss of knowledge?

mogi's profile photo
mogi
10/31/2016 6:57 a.m.

I am like Mogi, why not manage glucagon?We have always told us that glucagon in case of loss of knowledge.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
10/31/2016 8:27 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Yes, the glucagon is precisely for that, .., I think it is an errata of the article.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/31/2016 10:38 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

It is an incongruity of the article @rociollinares, if you read a couple of paragraphs above the recommendations it puts the opposite, that in case of loss of knowledge administer glucagon.

fer said:
part of whatwhich implies living with diabetes is learning to deal with some of the problems that this disease brings.Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar level is one of those problems.All people suffering from diabetes suffer from hypoglycemia occasionally.

Hypoglycemia, sometimes called insulin reaction, may even appear in which we do everything within our reach to control diabetes.Therefore, although many times we cannot avoid it, it is possible to treat hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) before it gets worse.For that reason, it is important to know what hypoglycemia is, what are the symptoms and how to treat it.

What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia?

The symptoms of hypoglycemia are included:

* Tremors
* Dizziness
* sweating
* hunger
* headache
* paleness
* Sudden irritability or changes in behavior, such as crying without apparent cause
* clumsy or spasmodic movements
* Seizures
* Difficulty paying attention, or confusion
* Sensation of tingling around the mouth

Link style = "max>
How do we realize when the blood sugar level is low?

Part of the task of maintaining diabetes under control is frequently measuring blood sugar level.See with your doctor how often you should measure your blood sugar levels and which ones should be.If the blood control results indicate that the sugar level is low, it is necessary to treat that problem.

You must measure the glycemia level at the hours your doctor has indicated.And, what is even more important, you must measure the level of glycemia every time you feel that you are going down.Once you have measured and proven that the blood sugar level is low, it is important that hypoglycemia treats as soon as possible.

If you have the feeling that a reaction is approaching but you cannot measure the sugar level, it is convenient to treat the reaction instead of waiting.Remember this simple rule: in doubt, act.

How is hypoglycemia about?

The fastest way to increase blood sugar level and treat hypoglycemia is with some kind of sugar, such as 3 glucose tablets (they are sold in pharmacies), 1/2 fruit juice rate or 5- 5-6 hard caramel pieces.

Consult with the health professional who attends or your dietitian to elaborate a list of foods that you can ingest to treat the low level of blood sugar.Then, be sure to always carry at least one class of sugar.

After measuring blood sugar and treating hypoglycemia, wait 15 or 20 minutes and measure the blood sugar level again.If the blood glucose level still continues and the symptoms of hypoglycemia do not disappear, repeat the treatment.When you feel better, continue consuming the usual meals and snacks as planned, to keep the blood sugar level high.

It is important to treat hypoglycemia immediately since it can worsen and causes the loss of knowledge.If you suffer a fainting, you will need immediate treatment, such as a glucagon injection or an emergency treatment in a hospital.

Glucagon increases blood sugar level and is injected as insulin.Consult with your doctorto extend a glucagon recipe and explain how to use it.It is essential that you teach people around your family and co -workers) how and when to inject glucagon, in case you ever need it.

If it were not possible to get glucagon, they must transfer it to the nearest emergency room to receive treatment for low blood sugar level.If you need immediate medical attention or an ambulance, someone should call the emergency number of your area (such as 911) to request help.It is convenient to have emergency numbers next to the phone.

If you lose knowledge as a consequence of hypoglycemia, the person who attends must follow these indications:

* Do not inject insulin
* Do not give food or liquids
* Do not put your hands in your mouth
* Do not inject glucagon
* Call the emergency number to request help

How is the low level of blood sugar prevented?

The best way we know to prevent hypoglycemia is the good control of diabetes.The key is to learn to recognize the symptoms of hypoglycemia.In this way, you can treat hypoglycemia before it gets worse.

Ignorance about hypoglycemia

Some people do not manifest any symptoms when they have hypoglycemia.They can lose knowledge without having noticed that their sugar levels were decreasing.This problem is called "ignorance about hypoglycemia."

Ignorance about hypoglycemia usually happens to people who have suffered diabetes for many years, and it is not something that happens to all.It is more common among people suffering from some neuropathy (nervous damage), people who carry a rigorous control of diabetes and those who take certain medications for the heart or for high blood pressure.

Over the years, although many people continue to have hypoglycemia symptoms, symptoms change.In that case, you can fall into the error of not recognizing a reaction because the sensation is different.

These changes constitute a good reason to control the level of glycemia frequently and to put your family and friends about the symptoms of hypoglycemia.Even when you feel good, it is important that you treat low or descent blood sugar levels.And if on some occasion the blood glucose levels descend less than 50 mg/dl and have no symptoms, consult the team of professionals who attends it.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
10/31/2016 10:49 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Well, I don't normally notice them.Some if I have it tomorrow, I notice that I am a little dizzy but little more ... that d more d 50, if I already have less if I begin to see that I say nonsense and that it starts to tremble everything and that I do not coordinate ... andThe truth is that the consequences in the brain are a little scared because I had 3I travel all the eye and stop at one point, they have even made a brain resonance to see why it happens and the truth is that I do not want to think that it has to do with those days and that my brain has affected me: S

Besides that I notice how I have less and less memory for things, that I enter in one place and I stay a second thinking that I am going to do and things like like this ... I do not know if it is normal or you have happened to you

Anasyx's profile photo
Anasyx
11/01/2016 11:57 p.m.

@Anasyx I know they are very expensive and not everyone can afford it ... but from what you tell, you need if or if a continuous glucose monitor with alarms

albertot's profile photo
albertot
11/02/2016 8:44 a.m.

I am type 2 diabetic and for a month my glucose has lowered, often.That is that the pills do nothing to me?

chacho's profile photo
chacho
11/21/2016 3:12 a.m.

chacho said:
I am type 2 diabetic and for a month my glucose has lowered, often.That is that the pills no longer do me?If so, the pills you take is to lower your glucose, so if they are working.You should go to your doctor now.Greetings.

XMIKE's profile photo
XMIKE
03/03/2018 11:57 p.m.

That is that you are not eating enough carbohydrates for the dose you have.Or you eat more often or see your doctor regulate the dose of the medication

lulu72's profile photo
lulu72
03/12/2018 2:12 p.m.

👋 I reopen this thread.

3:51 am and here I am with a horse hiccups after exercising after months and alone going to Pilates ... I have not seen it come 🤦‍♀️.

After being the 2nd time I have to wake up to ingest hydrates I have arisen a doubt that I always have and in the end I forget to ask.

Does anyone else happen that when you get up is when sugar really uploads?I ask this because it happens very often that if I am sleeping and I have a hiccup I have to join the bed at all and put my feet on the floor so that the blood glucose really rises and stay stable.If I do not have to repeat the process again and also at the end (at hours) I am high 🤦‍♀️.I don't know if I explain myself ... In the naps it has also happened to me, or even after I am sitting working for a long time and I suddenly get up 🤷‍♀️.

NiñaBurbuja's profile photo
NiñaBurbuja
02/25/2023 4:11 a.m.

T1 diagnosticada a los 24, tengo 31.
Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

@"Bubble girl", do you check with the glucometer which is a real hypoglycemia?
I have read here in the that the sensor can give false hypos when it is crushed while sleeping ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/25/2023 4:37 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Regina I do not check 100% of the time but 50% do, and are effectively hypos.I carry Dexcom and does not usually fail.

NiñaBurbuja's profile photo
NiñaBurbuja
02/25/2023 9:35 a.m.

T1 diagnosticada a los 24, tengo 31.
Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

Yes, if I wake up the blood glucose between 30-50 mg/dl
With hypos and hypers I always wake up, the former give me cold and tachycardy and hypers a horrible heat.When I rectify insulin it takes more than 3.5 hours to take effect but being awakens about 2 hours.

I guess the body manages its energies in this way.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/25/2023 10:14 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.