Diabetes and alcohol

hugo79's profile photo   05/05/2009 6:56 p.m.

He understood that Alcoho raises blood glucose but reading the prospects of Lantus and Novorapid I have seen that one of the possible causes of hypoglycemia is an ease alcohol intake.For my own experience I have seen that if I have a beer, glycemia got out but I have thought it is possible because it also has carbohydrates from the cereal with which it occurs.I do not know what would happen with some purest alcohol .... Liquor type.

Greetings to all.

hugo79's profile photo
hugo79
05/05/2009 6:56 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

My theory is as follows:

Fermented drinks (wine, beer) raise blood glucose

Distilled drinks (rum, tequila, vodka, whiskky, gin ...): They decrease blood glucose, although they have an initial rise effect, time later they "eat" existing hydrates at vertigo speed.

Alcohol problems come for 2 circumstances:
- In drunken state it is difficult to realize a hypoglycemia ... if those around you do not know or do not fall into the account that you have diabetes, they will only think that you are passed with alcohol.
- The liver has a vital function, secrear glucagon, in case of severe hypoglycemia the liver pulls this hormone so that the body recovers some glucose (eye, it is not always so), the externally injected glucagon is the one that helps theLiver "Fabrique" this "lifeguard".
But of course, if we have the liver very busy trying to metabolize a large amount of alcohol, it cannot be occupied with manufacturing glucagon and external injection is of no use, in these circumstances the danger of death is very high.

Tips:
- Moderate alcohol consumption.
- Take alcohol always inside meals.
- If alcohol is taken out of meals, accompany it with sugary soft drinks and some slow hydrates (potatoes, nuts)

As always everything is a matter of controlling and experience.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/11/2009 4:17 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.