Alcohol -related deaths increase in type 1

DiabetesForo's profile photo   09/12/2011 6:28 a.m.

Increase alcohol -related deaths among patients with type 1 diabetes

A study shows that the survival of patients with late 1 diabetes of late start (between 15 and 29 years) has worsened since 1980.

Alcohol has become an important cause of death among patients with type 1 diabetes since 1980, according to a study published this week at the British Medical Journal.
The work also shows that, while the survival of patients with an early start of type 1 diabetes (which occurs before the ageThe one that is declared between 15 and 29 years old) has worsened since 1980.

Despite the great advances in diabetes care, type 1 diabetes is still associated with premature mortality due to acute and chronic complications.Until now it was thought that people with late diabetes have a long -term survival better than that of people with type 1 diabetes of early diabetes.
Finland scientists investigated the short and long term trends in the mortality of 17,306 patients diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, under 30 years of age, between 1970 and 1999.

They also studied the causes of death over time.The participants were followed for an average of 21 years.It is encouraging that researchers will find that survival in the early starting group had improved from 1970 to 2007. This is explained by a fall in chronic diabetes complications during the first 20 years.

However, the results were overshadowed by a growing trend of short and long term mortality in the late starting group, due to an increase in alcohol consumption and mortality related to drugs and acute complications of diabetes.

Mortality due to alcohol -related causes and drugs represented 39% of deaths during the first 20 years of diabetes in this group.According to the authors, "this fact highlights the importance of the permanent and long-lasting medical relationship, supervision and orientation on the effects of alcohol in young people with type 1 diabetes."

British Medical Journal (2011);DOI: 10.1136/BMJ.D5364

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/12/2011 6:28 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

interesting...

I would like them to do a study of whether we have used pork insulin has given us "extra-resistance" to avoid complications.I know a few of my "generation" and they are like me ... and we always live with that theme of pork insulin ... "fixed that is the pig", we usually say ... :)) :)):)) So I want a study of that now !!(More drip studies have been done, by the way ...)

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/12/2011 7:43 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.