"My friends diabetes"

DiabetesForo's profile photo   07/23/2009 9:28 a.m.

Diatletic 'spirit
'My friends diabetes'
■ David debuted at 31 with this disease and coexists peacefully with her
■ His next challenge is to run the Sahara marathon and take there solidarity help

David Jiménez running (Photo: D.J.)
Updated Tuesday 07/21/2009 20:09 (CET) José Ramón Suárez
Madrid.- That a chronic disease is diagnosed is a shock.You are diabetic!Now, to live with her.David Jiménez told him five years ago when he was 31, however he assumed it well from the beginning, to the point that he calls it "my friend's diabetes" without any irony.And it has become an example of how to combine the three basic pillars of its treatment: medicine, diet and exercise.

Before the diabetes were diagnosed, he already did, but not as much as now, that combines several activities: athletics, cycling, Badminton.It is the representation of the Diatletic spirit, a team of amateur athletes that arose through the seminars of the Diabetes Foundation three years ago.

Within the Diatletic Group, people "making a height, swimming, paragliding, living room dances ... the important thing is that some physical activity is incorporated into sedentary life," Jiménez tells us.

David collaborates with doctors and nurses giving presentations to other diabetics and considers that the patient to patient message is very useful: "It is not about doing the Camino de Santiago tomorrow," he says about his talks "but we have to do sports, something, whatWhether, a minimum physical activity. "

Challenge: Sahara Marathon
Two years ago he traveled in a week the last 150 kilometers of the Camino de Santiago, making a half marathon every day.This April has run the Madrid marathon.And next year his great challenge is to make the Sahara marathon that is held annually in the African desert, known for his solidarity character, in which Abel Antón and Martín Fiz have participated in their last editions.

To do this, it will be accompanied by two endocrinologists (Puri and Marta) and a nurse (Carmen) who will ensure him and analyze their behavior in the race.They will also attend Raquel, his partner and Roberto, a friend, who in addition to participating in the competition will be responsible for making an audiovisual report "in the style 'My camera and I'" As the athlete tells us.

Controlling diabetes several times a day, which for David is usual, with a droplet of blood in his glucose meter, is exceptional in those latitudes.Thus, an impact "that there is a man with a motorcycle that passes every two months through the villages to see the glycemia that people have. Between those two months, some stays on the road."

So the objective is not only sports, but also supportive, because Jiménez is in contact with the Saharawi people association to be informed about the material related to diabetes that they need to have there.His goal is to obtain a help from public and private institutions to provide them with those things that are in need.

When talking about the intention for its trip, it explains the precautions that every diabetic should have in its displacements, such as "the English translation of the medical report and then all multiplied by two or three, the insulins, the glucose meters, take it distributed ifYou are accompanied and if you go alone, have a kit with you and another in the luggage. "

The idea of ​​this solidarity marathon arose when she met Teresa Lord, president of the Compostela for Diabetics.For David, Teresa is "a woman's crack ', develops solidarity activities in Morocco and recently has just published a traditional Galician cookbook for diabetics."When she said: "You have to come to the Sahara," David replied "There I am leaving."
Link ... 98617.html

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/23/2009 9:28 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Olé! Olé!And Olé! ... I take off my hat for the merit they have, they are admiring!;-)

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
07/23/2009 1:37 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Here you have "another of the club":

Mikel has diabetes and is rock climber (normal being Basque): Mrgreen:

Very nice ... at least what his females think: D :))

DiabetesForo
07/23/2009 2:57 p.m.

What great memories!8)

DiabetesForo
11/09/2009 2:03 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.