{'en': 'I transfer to live in England', 'es': 'Me traslado a vivir a Inglaterra'} Image

I transfer to live in England

DiabetesForo's profile photo   11/21/2011 4:20 p.m.

I intend to move to Leeds, in England, to look for life during a long season.If everything goes well I want to be 6 months to a year.

I have talked to my header in Spain.It facilitates insulin and strips for a maximum time of three months.

I do not want to be loaded with insulin boxes because I am going to arrive without accommodation and surely it will spend some time until finding it in a fixed way and that it has a refrigerator.

I want to ask the following:

Can a newcomer request subsulin subsidized or free?And the strips, needles and lancetas?What requirements should you meet?fixed accommodation?

Can I find the same insulin and strips brands I use in Spain?Insulin I use Lantus and Humalog.The strips are Bayer Elite.

If you have tips and recommendations for a newly arrived diabetic I will thank you.

Thank you so much!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/21/2011 4:20 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello!I spent a year there but I took everything from Spain.Insulin is the same there in that you have no problem, the bad is to get it.I do not know if the Social Security will pay you if you buy it there with the presentation of the tickets, it would of course be the easiest solution.You can also tell someone here that once you are installed they send it to you by messaging.There are messengers who send you refrigerated things, but I really don't know how much it will cost.
You are already telling us.greetings!

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/21/2011 5:47 p.m.

I am going to self-answer since I have found information in forums of Spanish people residing in England.
The Spaniards living in England have the same health rights as the English since we belong to the EU.
In England, insulin and strips recipes are free.Only something symbolic is paid in the first recipe.
Upon arriving in England you have to register in the medical center that corresponds to your residence zone.To do this you must demonstrate that you have a fixed home.To be assigned a header, you must also demonstrate a minimum residence in the 6 -month country although sometimes, for example being diabetic, it is not always necessary.
Insulin brands in England are the same as in Spain.
In England, the values ​​of glucose meters are in moles and not in grams as in Spain.The correct glucose values ​​are 4 to 7 moles.In Spain, as you know, from 70 to 120 grams.In Spain there are meters that report with the two values, everything depends on how you set it.

Web of an association called Diabetesuk, where a lot of information and help about diabetes comes.It is in English and other languages ​​but not in Spanish.
Link

On this website there is a search engine where you enter the name of the medicine and you know if it exists in England.
Link

I hope this information is of interest to future cases such as mine.
Thank you

DiabetesForo
11/23/2011 8:22 a.m.

Very valuable information, Imhotep, thank you very much for sharing it.

DiabetesForo
11/23/2011 9:34 a.m.

Alea:
Denied for thanks.It is my grain of sand for the forum.With the times that run, there will surely be more than one@ who is thinking of emigrating and looking for life in other countries.
Greetings to all.

DiabetesForo
11/23/2011 1:15 p.m.

Well, for example.And the truth is that I appreciate it too.I have been investigating how the health system works but it is clear that this type of more particular issues are more complicated.

I suppose that to access the health system there and that they give you recipes, strips and others you must also have a social security number, a job, ... any additional information will be very well received.Thank you.

Inma_DA's profile photo
Inma_DA
08/09/2013 12:46 p.m.

Hello good,
I am type I diabetic and I have been in England part of 2012 and 2013, living without any problem.
The first thing you have to do is have a fixed address, once you have managed to go to your nearest (outpatient) GP and request your registration.In the card they give you, you put that you have diabetes and everything else.Then they give you an appointment to make you a previous check: weight, height, lung capacity and things like that.Once completed, they send your health card to your home (it is a cartoon) in which it puts what your health center and your header, you do not need to take it on.
To make an appointment with your doctor is by phone, typical 012 or in your same center.Once you go to consultation the doctor asks you all about your medication and values ​​you at your discretion.It gives you electronic recipes to buy insulin, reactive strips, lancets and needles.

This system is similar to that of Spain, in the pharmacy you pay a part of the recipe but you can request a card so that everything comes out for free in the pharmacy (what is related to diabetes), I request it and in two weeks I arrive.Then I only went to the pharmacy and asked everything that I need with my electronic recipe (which is new), when I arrived in England, I had to go to my health center and at the entrance there was a mailbox that put a shelter of whatthat I needed, for example 2 boxes of strips, and in 48h the recipe to go to Pharmacy, but this already changed this summer for the electronic recipe, I do not know if it is already applied to the entire country, so I say it.

If you have more doubts, ask without problems.

Greetings

Tiver's profile photo
Tiver
08/29/2013 9:29 a.m.

Hello,
I have Medtronic Insulin Bomb and I wonder if when I move to England, Social Security (NHS) would cover the spare parts.Could someone inform me?
Thanks and greetings.

jose6's profile photo
jose6
01/13/2014 7:54 a.m.

One more doubt, with the recently approved law, according to which, after a 90 -day stay abroad, you run out of social security in Spain and you should hire private insurance.Do you know any of this?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/13/2014 12:07 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Jose6 said:
Hello,
I have Medtronic Insulin Bomb and I wonder if when I move to England, Social Security (NHS) would cover the spare parts.Could someone inform me?
Thanks and greetings.

Hello!I have the same question as you, but a few years later, so I wanted to ask you if you found information or if you could tell me your experience.Thank you!!

lauragonzalez's profile photo
lauragonzalez
08/01/2018 6:08 p.m.

lauragonzalez said:
jose6 said:
hello, Hello,
Thanks and greetings.

Hello!I have the same question as you, but a few years later, so I wanted to ask you if you found information or if you could tell me your experience.Thank you!!

Hello chic@s.
My idea is also to go to England for a one -year miniml time in the next month of October, to learn English, and the truth is that with the theme lancetas strips and insulin you have relieved me a lot.

Regarding the issue of the insulin bomb, I also have it and the spare parts come to me every four months to my home in Spain, my doctor informed that I would have to talk to Medtronic to inform them about what I am going to do andjust by changing the address to send it (in this case in England) that would be necessary.

Thank you all for the info.

Alex24393's profile photo
Alex24393
08/29/2018 10:37 p.m.

Take advantage that the SS in UK covers freestyle.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/30/2018 4:35 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.