Precision of insulin feathers

Gema3's profile photo   01/06/2010 1:39 p.m.

Hello:
Our 7 -year -old daughter debuted this summer, Humalog + Lantus.
I have a problem that I suppose will be shared by more people, or maybe not.
Insulin feathers are regulated by ISO 11608-1.This standard establishes that a dose located in the interval of 0 to 20 units must have a precision of +/- 1 unit, that is to say that a nominal dose of 20 units should contain between 19 to 21 units.While the tolerances of a dose that exceeds 20 units should be between +/- 5%.Therefore, if the dose to be injected is 2 units, you put the same as 3. I do not know if this is the consequence that when the dose is small there is hyper and/or inexplicable hypos.I have proven this extreme weighing different doses in a precision balance.
To this we must add that the feathers are designed for the hands of an adult (95% of diabetics).
Specifically, Humalog's Kwikpen pen does not have very well defined the end of the dose with a click, so that the problem is aggravated, you can put even less dose, in addition the strength to apply the dose is very large for the hand of a child.

For my part I put myself in telephone contact with Lilly Spain to complain and basically they told me that it was true about precision and all that, but that was what there was .
However, Lantus's solostar pen is softer.

In other countries there are feathers of 0.5 units: Humapen Luxura de Lilly, and above all Novopen Junior of Novonordisk specifically for children.Of course in Spain they are not available since both are rechargeable and the cartridges do not sell here.

Uniting all this in need of unity fractions we have returned again to the syringes.

I would like to know if someone shares these problems with us.

Gema3's profile photo
Gema3
01/06/2010 1:39 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Gema
Yes, the issue is known, and not as known has already been resolved.
You talk about the feathers but you also have to take into account the needles, which are not the same or all work well.

In any case it is a very serious problem, I have met and know cases of very young children, under 4 years of age to those who inject the diluted insulin because even 1 unit is too much.
At the other extreme, another boy I know, with 17 years and 12 evolution, who only uses syringes.

Very unfortunate that Novo or Lilly market the half -unit feathers in the market.: EVIL:

In general, children's diabetes (children under 14) are considered as "rare" disease, of little prevalence ... and thus laboratories usually invest little in devices, tools etc.Specific for child population.

I spend an interesting link with a summary of feathers, needles, catheters etc of the market:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/06/2010 2:27 p.m.

I have not proven it with a precision balance, but I have done it to "eye" putting several doses of 2 IU on a plate ... and they leave different.

I am putting that amount at each meal, so there are days that the thing is going well, other days I go up to 200, and others I get to 90 ... I already know that it also depends on other factors, the type of hydrates, of the files x ... etc .... but it is still playing a little to the Russian roulette.

Hopefully these things improve over time.

Greetings.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
01/07/2010 2:37 a.m.

Hello :

First, happy year to everyone.Second, I have been quite surprised with this issue, I thought that the children were placed the insulin bomb from very little, even babies.Also with the pump you can manage my small units.
Are there still people who use the syringes and do you better than with the pen?Sorry for my ignorance.
Greetings

lola's profile photo
lola
01/07/2010 6:55 a.m.

Gema3, I share what you say ... fortunately since we got rid of the feathers and syringes, but we were suffering that there were no half -unit feathers and also the difference between putting 1 unit and 2 with apen ... as Nacho says if you release 1 unit with pen comes a drop and a half and if you spend 2 a good stream comes ... come on, for adults the difference will be minimal, but when we shuffle with small insulin units,The difference is very great ...
Owash, I loved the link ... Thank you !!!!
Lola, it's true, it seems a lie that they don't put the pumps by system in young children ...
Greetings...

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/07/2010 11:19 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

A hallucinated you leave me with your concerns, Gema3.I did not know what precision margin they handled the feathers, but if it is certainly as you say, I begin to understand my inexplicable glucose variations with the same meals and the same activity ... :)) :)) :))

Anyway, neither do you know the jar too much, because you are not going to be able to change anything, nor do I think it is healthy to rethink so much things until that level of detail, because it can only lead us to an increase in anxiety.Excess perfectionism ceases to be positive.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/07/2010 11:42 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.