{'en': 'Can a diabetic live alone?', 'es': 'Puede un diabetico vivir solo?'} Image

Can a diabetic live alone?

lucky1173's profile photo   01/27/2010 10:25 a.m.

Good day,

I present all of you in the forum.I am the father of 3 diabetic children two men aged 21 and 19 and a 12 -year -old girl.

I live at the summit - Cordoba -Argentina.I want to ask you a question and I hope you can help me: the two men of 21 and 19, live alone, both in the same house, in the city of Cordoba, where they are studying.

My 19 -year -old son, last year he had two severe hypoglycemia, in the last one we had to call the emergency service to take him out, and by chance was his brother, who had arrived later than expected.

The doubt I have is the following: Can you live only a diabetic?or can two diabetics live alone?

Thank you and I wait for your answers!

Please answer by mentioning.

lucky1173's profile photo
lucky1173
01/27/2010 10:25 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Of course you can live alone, what your child has to consider is treatment, something is not going well when it has such strong descents.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/27/2010 12:41 p.m.

Hello!My name is Antonio, and I live only for 12 years - I separate me from my partner.The secret is in the control of blood glucose, and never forget that you are diabetic, which is not easy.Cheer up

@ntonio's profile photo
@ntonio
03/04/2010 4:52 p.m.

Hello everyone ...

JORGE_LLOPEZ's profile photo
JORGE_LLOPEZ
07/15/2015 1:41 p.m.

I have lived only approximately 3 years ... but after losing my work, my marriage and something else ... I had to leave it and return to my mother's house ... With all this I have gone through enough morning hypoglycemia and theIt is true that there was no other solution ... the most important thing is to carry a good self -control, that is clearer than water ... but I think that with all the pasta that our politicians have stolen, many improvements in medicine could have been obtained for medicineDiabetics and thus be able to bring a better living condition (like many other diseases, of course ...).

JORGE_LLOPEZ's profile photo
JORGE_LLOPEZ
07/15/2015 1:52 p.m.

When you live alone, you have to have a lot of security with a treatment that avoids or minimizes hypos, especially nightlife.
If that is not achieved, VivoSoko is an added risk.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/16/2015 6:13 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Of course you can live alone, what I would have is to control better, we should know because they gave him those so strong hypos, and not consider that at home with the dads it does not happen, if not PQ does not happen with the parents and if when he is aloneThat is because something is doing badly with respect to your diabetes.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
07/16/2015 1:03 p.m.

I have lived alone 5 years and previously as many years with floormates that was almost like living alone and the truth that I have never had any problem, once with some hypo that I did not get to overcome I have scared myself but I always had the phone inThe hand in case.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/05/2016 9:45 a.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Of course they can live alone, yes, such a big descent as to go emergencies should look at it and find out the origin.

I live alone and debut last year.
You have to have precautions: if I drive a long journey, I carry sugar, food and water by hand in the car;It takes an hour to go to work, I always wear sugar or candies in my bag, glucometers on top and insulins in themselves ... In the end you get used to it.
At night look at glucose before sleeping to have acceptable value and not suffer a hypo ...
The fundamental thing is that if you live with friends, know how to help you: glucagon, sugar under the language, etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/05/2016 10:03 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I live alone and I panic to a night hypoglycemia and not find out, even if your body wakes you, there are many people who do not.What is not why I have glucagon at home if I will not be able to put it if I lose knowledge.Because my endocrine made me very clear that I don't use it if I don't lose knowledge.In the end.

Ursula's profile photo
Ursula
06/06/2018 11:44 a.m.

Úrsula for that is very useful an MCG with alarms to wake you up in case of hypos or hyper

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
06/06/2018 1:47 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

@"Lucky1173" Power ... can ... but it is more advisable, have a warning or alarm system, which can activate the person in these situations ...

fer's profile photo
fer
06/06/2018 4:25 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thanks @"Maritxu22" I had already thought about it, but until things are not improving there is no money for continuous meters, I hope hehe

Ursula's profile photo
Ursula
06/06/2018 4:47 p.m.

Hello everyone, although this thread takes some time I wanted to share my experience.
From my childhood to my current age, I have lived the entire diabetes process, both in the company of others and living alone.
At first, until I got married I lived with my parents and I have always felt quite overwhelmed and although now I can understand it, it has not always been so and I was looking forward to leaving home.In fact I have always traveled and moved a lot in my adolescence.Being away from home I felt free, despite punctures, diets and etc.I speak of forty -many years ago.
Total that when I married my husband I knew the right thing, I only knew how to act in case of hypoglycemia and taught him to prick just in case, but nothing more. Such anyway.Of course my children nothing.This attitude, which now I see a bit unnatural, responds mainly to my reaction to the overwhelming that I felt for years.
So I have cared for everyone and I have worked without stopping, I have always been autonomous, let's say that I took care of the right or even less.
Then I sent and my children marched very young at home, so I stayed alone.I can swear that it was when I really began to take care of myself and observe my reactions learning from me and from diabetes like never before.I have been for this 15 years and I have never been better controlled.
Although fear is natural and more in our case, there are many techniques, especially now that they can avoid scare.By this I mean you can live alone and very well.Taking small steps, getting independent little by little, asking for help when you need and when not, no, you are acquiring confidence.This requires responsibility, knowledge and discipline, obviously much more than any other.But for me it is worth it.
I have been a partner for several years, but we don't live together more than seasons and I am at ease like that.I love to see him and I love to leave because I say "how well the whole bed for me."I still don't like to control me, but I no longer say it shouting and I am more tolerant of fear that others can feel.He has learned the basics to act in case of emergency, but diabetes is my responsibility, now and always until the end of my days.
A huge hug to all of us who travel this path.

"Accept the responsibility of your life. You should know that it is you who will take you where you want to go, there is no one else (Les Brown) (phrase of the day)

uma's profile photo
uma
07/18/2018 11:25 a.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

My dear @uma, what happiness to read and understand what everything you explain .............. It is a real and only truth!
A very sweet hug for you, @ani
>: D <

ani's profile photo
ani
07/18/2018 7:57 p.m.

Another hug to you "ani":-*

uma's profile photo
uma
07/18/2018 9:36 p.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

luckky1173 said:
good day,

I present all of you in the forum.I am the father of 3 diabetic children two men aged 21 and 19 and a 12 -year -old girl.

I live at the summit - Cordoba -Argentina.I want to ask you a question and I hope you can help me: the two men of 21 and 19, live alone, both in the same house, in the city of Cordoba, where they are studying.

Hello.I have type 1 diabetes 40 years ago.From my experience they can live alone.They have to do the courses to learn to take care and pay attention to everything.The schedules of food, violations, physical activity and attend the diabetologist regularly, so that it can regulate the amount of insulin or change it.It is preferable to their age that does not give much quantity since the physical activity of a teenager who lives alone and studies is very important, which can cause low.It is best to always go with a box of orange juice, as soon as you have symptoms to take it and take you quickly.
And until it is stable to measure before going to sleep.Eating a fruit sitting on bed before sleep also helps to get well in the morning.
We can have a normal life if we become aware of the importance of not sabotaging meals and violations.
I hope it helps you.
All the best!

Marty's profile photo
Marty
07/22/2018 3:38 p.m.

Of course you can, I am and no problem.

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
07/24/2018 6:32 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

@"Garcia Lizeth", this forum is read by many people looking for serious and truthful information.Many parents who have to learn about their children's diabetes from one day.
So it is irresponsible on your part (and false, also) to propose that it can be lived without using insulin and that it causes damage to the organs and that life shortens.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
11/17/2019 12:03 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

@"Garcia Lizeth"

We all regret the loss of your brother.

But insulin is what saves people with people with type I diabetes (and TB to many type II).Your brother probably had a very bad control of diabetes and was with very high blood sugar for a long time.There are people who are quite uncontrolled and with diabetes in the long run that is dangerous.

Greetings and even if you have no diabetes take care and try to eat balanced and play sports!

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
11/17/2019 12:16 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.