The laser to treat retinopathy, is it painful?

Dunah's profile photo   12/06/2011 7:50 a.m.

Greetings, I am a thirty -year -old girl suffering from type I diabetes since the age of 17.It is very unstable, I have a 10%hemoglobin.On December 19 they will treat me with proliferative retinopathy in the right eye applying laser.I asked the doctor if the operation was painful and told me that it bothered a little, I am very nervous for both the reason for the intervention and for not knowing how the procedure will be (if it is going to hurt, especially) and if after receivingThe laser you see well or are several days dazzled (I am worried about work).Was anyone who has gone through this operation so kind of talking about your experience and answering my doubts?Thank you in advance.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/06/2011 7:50 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

In principle it should not hurt, however the procedure itself is annoying: snacks and more snacks ...
From what I have read, there are no complications beyond the usual ones when the pupil dilates us.I think the night vision is lost a bit and you see a little blurred.

Think that if there were a somewhat complex postoperative or they were admitted to you or they would have informed you to organize yourself at work and at home.

But let's see if someone who has already gone through this and tells him first hand.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/06/2011 12:18 p.m.

I have forgotten the link:-/;)

It is a link to an informed consent:
There they put complications, consequences ...

I imagine that you will have signed it too or that you will sign it that same day.

DiabetesForo
12/06/2011 12:24 p.m.

The link has forgotten:-/;)

It is a link to an informed consent:
There they put complications, consequences ...

I imagine that you will have signed it too or that you will sign it that same day.

Yes, I had to sign a paper when they tested the background with intravenous contrast, where the side effects of the contrast were described etc.For the laser it will be the same.The doctor told me that it was an outpatient operation, going at 9 in the morning, dilating my pupil, putting on an anesthetic eyeThe discomfort that I would have later was that I would dazzle with my light.He did not tell me how they were going to keep my eye open to avoid flickering or if they were going to lie down or be sitting, and his phrase "hurts a little" is what worries me.I have not searched in Google to see if there is any video or information about the intervention because I prefer that someone who has gone through her tells me her personal experience.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/06/2011 1:14 p.m.

Dunah, they make the test with the intravenous contrast in January.The ophthalmologist told me that I don't go alone, but if I'm going alone, I guess I will be photophobia all day but by bus I will get home healthy and save.

Please, can you tell me how it went to you?

Thank you.:?

romevila's profile photo
romevila
12/12/2011 10:31 a.m.

Bomba Accu Check Insight de Roche con Novorapid.
Usuaria de bomba desde 2011 ( lleve la Combo hasta el año pasado).

Dunah, they make me the test with intravenous contrast in January.The ophthalmologist told me that I don't go alone, but if I'm going alone, I guess I will be photophobia all day but by bus I will get home healthy and save.

Please, can you tell me how it went to you?

Thank you.:?:

Well, the truth is that when you delay both pupils with two different eyelets at least to me, which threw me twice in an interval of an hour, they leave you the completely dilated pupils (I almost did not see the green color of my iris)And when I left I didn't wear sunglasses and I had to go with semi -closed eyes in the car back home (my father was driving).UHM, the injection of the contrast is somewhat annoying (they put an intravenous serum route on the inner face of the right arm elbow, where they make you the extraction of blood when making a blood analysis, with saline saline dripping to facilitate the entry of the entry of theContrast and inject the contrast in the valve of the road, I imagine that they put the contrast in a different way, the back of the hand, the arm).It bothers the same thing that bothers the needle of a blood analysis and if you have a tendency to get dizzy for example, I recommend you think about something else.Once the contrast is injected, they see that it has reached the blood cups of the eyes and withdraw the road, putting the typical cotton fastened with a tape and you can lower the sleeve.

With respect to the procedure, the light they use to take the images annoying how to look at the sun directly, very powerful light flashes that irritate.They do it in a room in gloom sitting in front of a machine where you rest your chin and forehead and an assistant or nurse is holding your eyelids so that it does not blink, the doctor or doctor will give you indications such as looking forward, aboveThe right, below, etc while taking the photographs.It was not very pleasant to me because I am already very sensitive to light and think that they were going to inject something intravenous via it also gave me a repair.My parents came with me.If you go alone, wearing sunglasses because when you come out, if you sunbathe, the day light will leave you completely dazzled.At home put the low blinds and take a paracetamol if your head hurts (it began to hurt by the effect of light).The first day you put your skin with a yellowish tone and you will be a couple of days urinating phosphorescent yellow xD (Tip: drink enough water to remove the contrast soon).The next day the pupils will remain somewhat dilated.I would say that in a couple of days is when you can go out again without the light bothering you.I got a bruise in the road area but well that depends on the skill of who puts it to you :).

Be calm, if you have nothing you will go home dazzled but happy, they gave me the news of proliferative retinopathy and that I could lose my vision and that they should give me laser and well, it is not something that you like to listen.I am quite nervous about the intervention of next week :(.

PS: I hope the description has helped you get an idea ^^.In summary, it is not painful, it only bothers the injection and light.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/12/2011 4:54 p.m.

Dunah, thank you very much for your explanation.

Now I remember that contrast they put me not long ago to see the arteries, it is annoying if, but they semi -seimated me in a kind of tunnelillo to my neck.

Anyway, this disease TB seems to me a real misfortune, I read it to someone who said it, and my files x are very x, in the morning it seems that I inject water.I start being very demotivated for all the control, and I have been with her for 33 years, the truth to cry.

A kiss and luck, I hope you tell us something else.

romevila's profile photo
romevila
12/13/2011 2:01 p.m.

Now that I remember it, I was fasting, this time for the subject of the eyes they have not told me anything about it, do you remember whether you were fasting or breakfast?

romevila's profile photo
romevila
12/13/2011 2:03 p.m.

Now that I remember it, I went fasting, this time for the subject of the eyes they have not told me anything about it, you remember whether you were on an empty stomach or breakfast?Blockquote>

No, I was not fasting.I had breakfast because the test was at 11 in the morning, for that it is not necessary to be fasting.For the laser they have told me to have breakfast without problem, it is topical anesthesia in the eyes with a few drops :).Ains is left less for 19 :(.

With respect to diabetes, what am I going to tell you about lacking, once I pass with 22 mg/dl unconscious (which the emergencies have to come to put a way with glucose or my mother to inject me glucagon) to give me a reboundof more than 500 mg/dl.Constant rises and descents, it doesn't matter if the diet follows, as soon as I am nervous for anything, it alters me and goes up.So that they do not give me hypoglycemia at work (I am a clearer in a zara) I am forced to get less insulin and still give me down because I do not stop moving so to drink water with sugar with which I give me the bounce hyperglycemia.10% glycosylated hemoglobin in my last analysis.I also have nephropathy, with the kidneys working at 40% so I imagine, every time I go to the doctors' consultation the future I am talking about I see it very discouraging.I don't know why I had to touch this disease to me, I am the only one in my family.I hope medicine advances and goes ahead of the insertion of insulin producing islets in the liver.I only have to take care of myself extremely so as not to end up on dialysis or without a view or on the waiting list of transplants.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/13/2011 7:03 p.m.

Dunah What treatment do you have?

DiabetesForo
12/14/2011 3:48 a.m.

DUNAH WHAT TREATMENT DO YOU HAVE?

Levemir and Novorapid as insulin treatments, two injections in the morning (one of Levemir and another of Novorapid), two at noon and two at night varying the amount depending on glucose.And with respect to the rest up to 8 different medications, epoetine injected once a week for chronic anemia because my kidneys do not produce the hormone that stimulates the spinal cord to produce red blood cells, for cholesterol, calcium, vitamin D for absorbThat calcium, for circulation, a stomach protector, a diuretic.I am made a picture, only weight 50 kilos.Then the diet, of course :).My endocrine says that I am not suitable for an insulin bomb because of the unstable my diabetes but I cannot always be with 10% glycosylated hemoglobin or 12% as I have come to have.The minimum I have had has been 7.5%.I don't know what it is good for years :(

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/15/2011 1:53 p.m.

Your endocrine has told you that you are not suitable for the bomb for the instability of your diabetes ???????: Shock :: Shock:
So what does it mean, that you have to live a lifetime with 10 of hemoglobin, in short .....: Twisted:
The bomb is not the panacea but it can make your life much and help you find that stability you need, but for that you have to find an endocrine that recommends it.

DiabetesForo
12/15/2011 4:08 p.m.

<BLOCKQUOTE PRADO "" = "" REL = "": Shock :: Shock:
So what does it mean, that you have to live a lifetime with 10 of hemoglobin, in short .....: Twisted:
The bomb is not the panacea but it can make your life much and help you find that stability you need, but for that you have to find an endocrine that recommends it.

The point is that until a few months ago I did not work, I had my father's medical insurance: Asisa, and the only endocrinologist of my city, Guadalajara, who works for Asisa was him.I currently have the social security and, it is also one of the endocrine there.On the other hand he suffers diabetes, with what who better to know how diabetics felt, and has enough titles, often travels to conferences abroad, publishes essays.He is also associated at the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Alcalá de Henares.And treats patients from Guadalajara and Alcalá de Henares.In the University Hospital of Guadalajara there are two endocrinologists too, I could try some of them to see what they tell me.

I will ask about the bomb in the visit I have in January with Dr. Corpas, what worries me is its cost and if social security covers it and gives me some apprehension to carry a device connected to the body day and night.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/16/2011 2:25 a.m.

The bomb covers it in its entirety social security, it is a loan that makes you the hospital.

DiabetesForo
12/16/2011 3:25 a.m.

<BLOCKQUOTE PRADO "" = "" REL = ""

Then I will ask for information and request it because I am playing my health and I am young to have so many problems.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/16/2011 5:34 a.m.

I hope you are lucky, I know complications ... unfortunately, each one is affected by an organ or other, it affected me to the heart.

romevila's profile photo
romevila
12/16/2011 9:34 a.m.

To the heart?I did not know that it affected that organ, only the peripheral nerves, the retina, the kidneys, but ignored the heart.Wow :( I see that you are also with Levemir and Novorapid treatment, to see if we are going to have to go to the bomb to minimize the risks that our complications are worse. The operation is within three days and it seems that nobody has happenedFor her, so I'm going to keep doubts :).I'm going to look on YouTube but I know I will get dizzy with the UFF images.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/16/2011 5:17 p.m.

No Dunah, it should not be more uncomfortable than the contrast review, a doctor told me.

romevila's profile photo
romevila
12/17/2011 3:45 a.m.

No Dunah, should not be more uncomfortable than the contrast review, a doctor told me.

Well, tomorrow at 9 it is the appointment with the ophthalmoga, I will tell you how the experience is in case in the future, I hope you do not have to go through this :).

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/18/2011 10:18 a.m.

Well, they have already done me about the laser.First I have dilated the pupil of the right eye and then they have already taken me to leave with the laser machine.It was like the ones they use to see anything in the view where you support the chin and forehead, when I have sat in front of it, they have applied anesthetic drops in my eye and have placed a kind of lens that I was attached to the cornea withA viscous substance so that it kept the eye open, hydrated and did not matter if it blinked because the edge of the lens prevented the closure of the eyelids.After that he has begun to shoot the laser that I saw how flashes, dazzled and noted a kind of ardor in the eye along with a sense of heat, but it has not been painful.It has given me 516 light impacts in today's session (about 5 minutes), it must give me 3000 in total but will do so in sessions of 500 each month so as not to damage the retina.As soon as I finished, I saw absolutely anything with that eye, but before 10 minutes I saw well.Now I have burning feeling but it is not painful, it has sent me a few anti-inflammatory drops called Tobradex that I must apply 4 times a day for three days.Tomorrow or last will take the dilation of the pupil.Well, I'm not afraid to have to go to do it every x months, I know what it is and it hasn't hurt what I gave me the most fear.The nephrologist who had consultation later has told me that in the analysis of this month I get a hemoglobin of 9% and has told me that I tell the endocrine about the bomb (I have an appointment with him on January 17), I have also lostTwo kilos of weight (I had a month with many hyperglycemia and drinking a lotMy face so you can see the "Walking Dead" effect that have left me with a dilated pupil and the eye somewhat swollen xD.

Dunah's profile photo
Dunah
12/19/2011 8:22 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.