Transplantation of pancreatic islets, is it reliable ??

SaraRodEs's profile photo   03/26/2010 9:28 a.m.

Hello!I have been looking for the advances in the field of diabetes, in relation to its cure ...
I recently thought about making a pancreas transplant, but it is not too reliable, so I discarded it ... more
I found a document that was discussed of a super expensive treatment that was not always effective, and today
I have found this ... pancreatic islet transplants ....
Apparently, in 2003 a transplant of this type was carried out in Malaga, which lasted 24 hours, and that apparently had good
Results ... The fact is that I don't know if any type 1 diabetic can make such a transplant ...
If someone has information I would like to know ... Information type where it is done, how much ascends the sum to pay, what
requirements are necessary to carry it out ...
Well, I hope you can help me !!A kiss!

SaraRodEs's profile photo
SaraRodEs
03/26/2010 9:28 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The islet transplant is an option only for special cases.
To start, it is not a definitive solution, because the crazy autoimmune system that produced diabetes will act again and destroy the new islets, unless all the rest of the life are taking immunosuppressants that leave the patient exposed to catch all kinds of infectionsand diseases.
Second, it is a expensive system because several donors are needed for a single transplant, so patients who also need a kidney transplant or who have other pathologies are usually chosen.
Third, in Spain transplants do not "buy", but are assigned according to a scale that depends on gravity and utility.

Better insulin, do not hesitate.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/26/2010 9:40 a.m.

Wow ... since I had a little hope .... Well ... they have been telling me since I am 8 years old "do not worry, in five years they will get a cure"... and 5 years in 5 years I have already been 11 ... Anyway, thanks for the information

SaraRodEs's profile photo
SaraRodEs
03/26/2010 11:17 a.m.

In Argentina as in other countries tests with pork islets are done ... we will see how it works

patriciavecchia's profile photo
patriciavecchia
07/05/2019 1:16 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.