Fever

paris's profile photo   02/22/2012 12:36 p.m.

Hello everyone!Let's call 5 years of diabets and every time my daughter starts with fever I spend the fatal.The problem is that it makes ketone bodies very easily (even with good controls).And at night you can imagine ...... What do you do in these situations?How do you do at night?Thank you !!,

paris's profile photo
paris
02/22/2012 12:36 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

If you have good controls, do not worry about the ketones, they will disappear alone.
If I tell you the truth, I never looked at my daughter, it is enough for me to control the glucose and nothing happened.Is that controlling so many things .. is to go crazy ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/22/2012 3:13 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello, normally the insulin requirement with fever is greater since fever means that there is infection somewhere.Therefore if you see that it is very high, eat it with your endocrine and make you the right dose

Cristina Serrano's profile photo
Cristina Serrano
10/15/2017 3:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Cetonic bodies with normal glucose do not pose a problem.The normal limits will not pass.It is simply that the body is using fat instead of glucose, something totally normal especially after a few hours without eating.The important thing is to keep glucose inside normal and if it is high you have to look at the ketones especially if you are without eating.But while it is normal, you don't have to worry.Faced with the doubt or any symptom better to look at them in case but I would not worry if the glucose is fine.
If there is insulin (and if glucose is fine, there is enough) the body is able to control the production of ketone bodies and will not derive in ketoacidosis.Do not confuse ketosis (which is normal) with ketoacidosis.Insulin intervenes in the control of the production of ketone bodies, so in the absence of insulin or if it is insufficient, the production is uncontrolled and the ketoacidosis arrives.Diabetics have to be careful because in certain situations it is easy to move from ketosis to ketoacidosis but we must not overwhelm because ketone bodies leave if glucose is fine and are within the safe limits.
I have only looked at them once when I operated on the teeth of the trial because I spent a few days without hardly eating and with medication and they always came out but within the normal limits because the glucose always kept it below 150.
This normally do not explain doctors well and we have an unnecessary fear to make ketones out and it is not always a problem.It must be understood that the body is prepared for prolonged fasting and in those cases it consumes fat and generates ketone bodies without that being a problem, it is normal.Obviously in a diabetic being a situation could be a problem if there is not enough insulin, so in the face of a long fast or disease, glucose should be greatly controlled.But until there is no high glucose, ketone bodies will not be a problem.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
10/16/2017 11:01 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.