Pump, summer and basal insulin

Martina's profile photo   02/29/2012 3:42 p.m.

Hello again,

Has anyone tried to use the bomb with Novorapid and a basal lantus or less insulin?I am thinking of the summer, with the multiple disconnections of the pump and therefore the difficulty of maintaining stable blood glucose.So, perhaps, a combination bomb with novorapid and a basal that endures the daily disconnections can be used.

Martina's profile photo
Martina
02/29/2012 3:42 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Marina, get in touch with your endocrine because there are operating operations for disconnections of less than 4 hours and more than 4 hours ... I explain my experience in "Nautical Pumps and Sports" in this same section, butFor any questions, do not hesitate to ask me ...;)

Alberto P's profile photo
Alberto P
03/15/2012 8:29 a.m.

Martina, there is an open thread on Levemir and Pump in this same section.The truth is that ancient endocrine did not put it into practice with some children in certain circumstances.Camps, beach, etc ... Angela has been bomb for many years and has had no problem in disconnections.It is a matter of taking the quiet.Ah, yes, with the beach be careful with the catheter, which can enter sand and then there is no way to connect it again ... I would advise you to disconnect it in the car or in the house if it is close, and you put thecap ... that much better than doing it already in the sand.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/16/2012 5:07 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Thank you,

I saw the levemir and bomb thread and it seemed very interesting, but this, my question, I was already hung when the levemir and bomb thread was inception and I did not think about erasing mine.

We do have many problems with long disconnections: official basketball matches.So, if you put half of the basal insulin of the disconnection hours, by Jempo: 2 hours or 3 hours, if we have a basal of 0.45, it plays 0.45 or 0.65 but if we are at 80, there areA possible hypo ... how do you calculate it then?

Martina's profile photo
Martina
03/16/2012 11:18 a.m.

Martina, garment, sorry.I hadn't seen the post date: Oops: :)

And have you tried not to put anything if it has a low figure, 80 to so?How long is it disconnected?In the breaks it is measured?, That would be a good time to connect the pump and put some insulin if something is high ... and on the other hand, why do you have to take off the bomb? .. Angela does physical education and is not disconnected.And when I was in the school that played football and made skating, either ... I always put a lower basal, half an hour before exercising and if necessary I give him a cookie to endure.I have practiced basketball all my childhood and youth and I do not see what problem can cause the pump on.
Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/17/2012 8:49 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

The fact is that the first time he played an official game, shortly after putting the bomb, the organization said that with the bomb he could not play basketball, the girl was so excited to disconnect the bomb.

Now I have three left:

First: to carry the bomb and speak, more or less relaxed, with the organization.
Second: Do not play.
Third: Continue disconnecting, with the problems that lead us.

I have chosen the first time, but the girl wants the third, she does not like "relaxed conversations", so in the end we will have to reach an intermediate point, the second right?

Martina's profile photo
Martina
03/18/2012 2:41 a.m.

The last option I would choose would be the second ... and of course the first would be to speak with the organization, despite the girl ... it may be misinformation what they have and that is why that comment so unfortunate for my pleasure that I have to have todisconnect the pump.After all, it is a treatment that your daughter has and if he can't live ... I don't think they dare to be out of competition, it would undoubtedly be a full -fledged discrimination.
You have tried the dexconexion and it has not worked, because now that they manage.I see no reason why I can't carry the pump.And if there are, explain it to you.
Come, courage.You will see how at the end there is a solution.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/18/2012 6:50 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

I get to the devil's lawyer.

By official party, I understand that it will be federated, right?
Therefore, there are general rules to be met and among them it will not be able to carry anything that can interfere in the game ...

I believe that the best option is to disconnect the pump.
And here you have 2 options: pass that time with NPH or disconnect just before starting, measure the break and act accordingly (give hydrates or put insulin).
As in almost everything, experience will give you the solution.
I prefer to measure and correct, long before I put NPH.

In no case should you leave the basketball.

Here you have an article about how a professional player with type 1 diabetes, Adam Morrison: Link ... s-control/

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/18/2012 12:42 p.m.

I don't know if there is any rule that prevents 10 -year -old girls from playing with a bomb, but I think they can play with glasses or Sonotone, I don't see why not with a bomb.

Martina's profile photo
Martina
03/18/2012 1:44 p.m.

Basket Rules:

Page 12 of the PDF:
It is not allowed to use:
- Protection in fingers, hands, dolls, elbows or forearms, orthopedics or reinforcements made of
leather, plastic, flexible plastic (soft), metal or any other hard material, even if they are
covered by a soft padding.
- Objects that can cause cuts or abrasions (nails should be short).
- Play, hair accessories or jewelry.

It is allowed to use:
- Protections on shoulders, arms, thighs or legs, provided that the material is sufficiently
padded.
- Heaterrs that protrude under the pants of the same dominant color as this.
- Compression sleeves (antimbolic) of the same dominant color as the shirts.
- Compression stockings (antimbolic) of the same color as pants.If used for
top of the leg must end over the knee;If used for part
Lower leg, they must end up under the knee.
- Knee reinforcements, if they are properly covered.
- Facial masks, even if they are of hard material.
- Transparent bucket protectors.
- Glasses, provided they do not represent a danger to the other players.
- Head tapes, with a maximum width of five (5) centimeters, made of fabric, plastic
flexible or gum non -abrasive and one color.
- Transparent colorless tape in the arms, shoulders, legs, etc.

There is nothing specified about pumps (weird would be), but there is a bit of contradiction between allowing hard material masks and prohibiting the protections of hard plastic material.
I understand that they try to avoid damage to blockages and shocks.

The glasses that I have seen are always plastic (Abdul Jabbar, Worthy) and have nothing to do with the usual glasses that are used.
The headphones do allow them:
Kobe Bryant has been playing for a while playing with a mask that covers her face.

In my opinion, if the bomb is of the omnipod type they should allow it, but the bombs we use in Spain I see too much spectacular and in the clashes they could cause some more damage.
Always speaking of federated sport ... if it is amateur sport, I would leave full freedom.

DiabetesForo
03/18/2012 2:20 p.m.

Devil's Lawyer 2:

Leaving aside that they are official basketball games that is only a school activity ... Basketball is a contact sport and you can also receive some ball in the body.

Compare some glasses or a hearing aid with an insulin pump does not make much sense: someone who plays with glasses or with a hearing aid if he has a shock with another player or receives a ball (both things can happen easily in a basketball game) andglasses or hearing aid are broken apart from the disgust of breakof insulin.

Can basketball be played carrying an insulin bomb?Surely yes and possibly most of the time nothing will happen but ... what if something happens?what's happening?From the perspective of a teacher/coach who is in charge of a group of children who, if something happens, the responsibility of that something falls on him, his decision is understandable that, an eye, it is not a negative that he does not play for havingDiabetes, no, is a negative to play with the insulin pump (and that has a solution).

For someone who carries insulin pump there are some action protocols when pump disconnections are going to be performed, if the disconnection has a duration of less than four hours you have to do some things if the disconnection is more time you have to do others.A basketball game I think enters the disconnection category of less than four hours.

There is another solution apart from those already mentioned: that parents offer to sign a document where they release the teacher/coach from any responsibility if something happens but it is something that seems very radical ... I think the thing is that it disconnects fromThe pump to play.

DiabetesForo
03/18/2012 5:30 p.m.

What I need to know is why the standard procedure does not work for us.

Martina's profile photo
Martina
03/18/2012 6:43 p.m.

Martina, for disconnections of 30 or 45 minutes I do not see necessary to do anything special, or move on to the NPH.
Yes, I would put half of the basal insulin that touched him, just before playing (if it is 0.45 basal at that time, he would put a bolus of 0.2), the idea is that he always has insulin in the body, even if it is a minimum.

Let's see what this plan thinks.
Let's say the game is at 10 in the morning.
I would try to have breakfast 3 hours before, so the breakfast bolus will have already disappeared and will not interfere with the exercise.

Half an hour before the game, before entering the wardrobe, he would make glycemia and rectify to reach the goal of being above 150.
If it is below 100, with 3 or 4 Maria cookies should have enough.
Just at this time, I would put the bolus of 0.2 (half of the basal that would correspond to that time,) and disconnect.

At rest, not more than 1 hour will have passed, measure again and rectify if it is below 150.
I would connect again and put half of the basal that would touch me at that time (following the example, it would be 0.2), even a little less because the Bolus administered just before starting will still be taking effect.
If it were above 250 it would be necessary to add a small correction to avoid spending a lot of time in high values ​​and with danger of ketosis ... here you must see the sensitivity factor of your daughter and sin prudent at the beginning and adjust as they go by passingexperiences.

And at the end of the party, because again the same, blood glucose and adjust.

This is my theory, the same does not work for you ... that the kids are very rare;): Mrgreen:

DiabetesForo
03/19/2012 4:40 a.m.

Oh uy, what exaggeration ... I'm not going to dizzy the partridge, but come on, I don't think the bomb in the place that is placed can harm an opposite, or oneself ... come on, nor we were talkingFull Contact ... On the other hand if the bomb fell and break, which I see quite unlikely, it would be the supply house who would take responsibility for the change ... in the contract we signed there was no clause that would expect anything about exerciseOr competition ... and to finish, Joer, we are talking about a 10 -year -old girl, I don't think there is so much aggressiveness, or strength that an injury can occur.So if the lords of the Federation have those rules, that change them ... that we are not talking about protection, or a headdress, AGGG ... we are talking about a device that allows you to live.

With respect to the dexconneion guidelines, Owash's explanation seems correct ... the measure of breaks and correct for me would be fundamental ... to see if you are lucky.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/20/2012 6:32 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

is that the basket10 years.
For many years I have seen basketball games and I have seen enough clashes and fights (in good sense) ... and I find it easy to imagine that a blow with the bomb can be more annoying than a blow against one arm or backI don't talk about injuries but blows.

DiabetesForo
03/20/2012 1:48 p.m.

Can basketball be played carrying an insulin bomb?Surely yes and possibly most of the time nothing will happen but ... what if something happens?what's happening?From the perspective of a teacher/coach who is in charge of a group of children who, if something happens, the responsibility of that something falls on him, his decision is understandable that, an eye, it is not a negative that he does not play for havingDiabetes, no, is a negative to play with the insulin pump (and that has a solution).

DiabetesForo
03/20/2012 4:10 p.m.

Na, I shut up :( ... I didn't think they would have changed things so much in these years.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/21/2012 5:25 a.m.

Última hemo 6.1

Greetings to all that you already know that I do not prod much even if I read you very often, first on the beach ... I carry three summers with bomb this will be the room and I never removed it and I have replaced me with bolis ...On the beach or on the pool I will be swimming or walking or playing etc ... and also in summer that if you sweat more than if this is that other and I even have to take a juice or something to not have down to whatI am better an hour or an hour and a half disconnected, you go out, you dry ke if the cream etc ... control that I am well I do not wear bolus and this is already my experience on the beach with the plug and carefully does not happenNothing does not enter sand, I am not delayed with the bomb and I do not take it off ... the basketball
Or other sport, are you necessary to say you have a bomb?Can't hide it inside the underwear?If I play 20 minutes I put a temporary basal with the minimum?I do not know ... I do not practice sport, but I am there a lot and if I am two hours or one hour I make a temporary basal time that I will walk I control before and then and I already have it calculated approximately ... in shortDoing sports will go to the beach to the pool to the thematic parks enjoy everything in my work I carry the hidden bomb in such a way that nobody knows that I carry it, you do not know what you learn day and what you discover from oneself toMake you with your bomb, greeting to all this forum is great. Thank you

scooterboy's profile photo
scooterboy
03/23/2012 8:33 a.m.

....disguise????hide what?Why? ... This is how we are still thinking that the solution is to hide that we carry a pump or that we are diabetic, we are going and forgive me if someone feels upset;)
It is best to demonstrate in the day to day that we lead a life like anyone, that we practice all kinds of sports without problems like anyone, taking the precautions we all know.
In this case, I do not believe that the basketball practiced by children so young is so aggressive, but if it is, the bomb is disconnected and the girl is measured in the breaks and decisions are made on the fly.The experience will mark the guidelines, sometimes it will be better and will be hit and not others, but diabetes is like that, no day is equal to another ...: Mrgreen:
What he would never do is force her to stop doing something she likes, for having diabetes.

DiabetesForo
03/23/2012 11:32 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.