Glycemia in children

dorita's profile photo   09/03/2010 5:30 p.m.

My 8 -year -old son has diabetes 7 months ago, uses lantus and corrections with Novorapit.The endocrinologist has told us that we correct it from an 180 measurement, which this is usual in children.It seems to me a lot, but since I have no experience in the subject, I would like children's mothers to tell me from what measurement they correct.The endocrinologist has also told me that an 8 or 8.5 hemo is normal in a child.What do you think?

dorita's profile photo
dorita
09/03/2010 5:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It depends on situations.
I corrected my daughter from 150, if they were hours in which she was active, because she shows the hypos awake.However, at night, or when you are going to exercise, or if you have active Bolus yet, it is not corrected.

Little by little you will see if your child is stable and you will have more security to correct.

Hemo is not too good, but you'll go down.In a child a hem is well greater than in an adult, and a 7 or 7.5 hemo is good, so you are not far away.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/03/2010 6:07 p.m.

Hello!,
What are you calling to correct?because I think we don't refer to the same. The novorapid must always be put before meals that carry hydrates.
Here we call correcting a fast unit at any time, when they are high, to stay in values ​​of 150 or less.
Hemoglobin is so much better the more it approaches 5, which is the normal value, although in children it is very difficult to achieve values ​​lower than 7.

:) Greetings

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/05/2010 3:11 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I agree with Regina.
One thing is that the usual values ​​of children and adolescents are between 7 and 8 (it is difficult to maintain stable blood glucose due to multiple factors).
But another very different thing is that this is desirable ... you have to try to get off 7 (without repeated hypoglycemia) either child or adult.All research done so far mark the magic figure of 7% as a limit to reduce the chances of future complications.

Regarding the corrections .... it depends;Each case is a world.
There are some who have to be at 180 at 3 in the morning because otherwise they dawn with hypoglycemia.
Others have to be 100 because they upload a lot at night ...

Personally I would never correct a child at night, except figures above 250.

You also have to take into account insulin sensitivity, there are children who with 1 unit lower glycemia.

Finally, it has nothing to do with the night.During the day you will exercise, sure.It will move, go from one place to another, play, etc ... A figure of 180 can be adequate depending on the activity you will do.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/06/2010 5:46 a.m.

My son is 7 years old and has debuted very little.The endocrine told us that from a figure of 250 we put an extra ultra -grape unit (Humalog in our case).I hope I have helped you.All the best

dsrodri's profile photo
dsrodri
02/08/2011 6:57 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.