{'en': 'How can I calculate a fast insulin unit', 'es': 'Como puedo calcular una unidad de insulina rapida'} Image

How can I calculate a fast insulin unit

jose enrique's profile photo   08/06/2012 1:36 p.m.

I'm Paula,

I wanted to know 1 u.fast insulin how much more or less blood blood glucose can be lowered.

For example: if I have 150 sugar ... how can I calculate the insulin that I have to wear?

Thank you so much!

jose enrique's profile photo
jose enrique
08/06/2012 1:36 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What is insulin sensitivity factor

Its insulin sensitivity factor, also known as correction factor is the decrease in mg/dl of glucose that produced in the blood by 1 insulin unit.

Many times there are times when to approach the glycemia target, it is necessaryOn other occasions we can be high in the middle of the afternoon and to return them to control levels it is easy if it is known how much extra accurate insulin inject.

The corrector bolus from 30 minutes will begin to descend glycemia and should reach the objective glycemia at 3 hours of that insulin administration.

Its sensitivity factor can vary and be something different at different times of the day or can even vary quite a lot during periods of illness.

How to calculate its insulin sensitivity factor or correction factor

For calculations the average of the total insulin dose in need in 3 days is used:

Total dose of basal insulin units + Total dose of rapid insulin in bowling = Total daily dose of insulin

1700 / Total insulin dose = sensitivity factor (or correction factor)

Example

A patient who uses 40 units of basal insulin and 30 units of insulin or rapid analogue is to say a total of the daily dose of insulin of 70 units.So 1700/70 = 24

Then this 24 correction factor means that 1 insulin unit will produce an approximate drop in 24 mg/dl blood glucose.

How to use the sensitivity or correction factor to calculate the corrector bolus

Correction bolus calculation formula:

Real glycemic
= Extra insulin units to put

Example

GLAUGY PATIENT: 200 mg/dl
Objective: 100 mg/dl
Sensitivity or correction factor: 50

We apply formula 200–100/50 = 2 extra units that should be administered as a correction dose.

Source: Link

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/07/2012 7:26 a.m.

Hello, according to my endocrine, the table to follow is:

Sugar level / insulin units

150-200: 1 unit

200-250: 2 units

250-300: 3 units

300-350: 4 units

350-400: 5 units ...

And so on until you need, but I suppose the measure will be based on weight, age, etc ...

I hope I helped something, greetings!

Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot]'s profile photo
Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot]
08/08/2012 10:11 a.m.

The sensitivity index is personal, it cannot be compared, each person has theirs that can also vary throughout the day, so each diabetic must calculate yours.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/08/2012 12:38 p.m.

A very simple way to calculate is 1 fast insulin unit for every 30 or 50 mg/dl, although there are much more complete formulas, here I leave you a link:

Link

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
08/09/2012 11:11 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello, I do not know if I arrive on time or if I can help you, but I tell you the case of my daughter.
Maria has scheduled some fixed doses at each meal taking as reference 150, if we get down several days we reduce one;if it arrives between 60-80 in a meal of that meal we reduce 2;And in the case that you comment if it exceeds 150, of every 50 that we spend increase 1.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
06/30/2015 3:47 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

You must consult with your doctor your sensitivity because that information only the you can give since everyone has different ratio and sensitivity

Luzosorio's profile photo
Luzosorio
06/30/2015 8:30 p.m.

Anonymus your endo tells you that it is always like that ???@-)

AnNa's profile photo
AnNa
06/30/2015 8:36 p.m.

As I have the dexcom I have calculated that each ration of carbohydrates up 50 and each insulin unit lowers me 80. In addition, it depends on each one.

BanHop's profile photo
BanHop
07/01/2015 10:41 a.m.

The formula indicating @prado is the one that comes in all manuals and is surely the most correct.All ok if you are TD1 and click on each meal.My problem is that as Lada I still have some pancreatic reserve and I am still on my way to a bowling pattern.Recently my endocrine prescribes me quickly in case you need it one day and now I need it every night.Of course, at breakfast and food I can still go from it (I know that over time we will have a stable relationship but for now we are getting to know each other).Does anyone know how sensitivity is calculated in such a situation?I once need a correction dose and use the 1U low 50mgr rule but I would like to be more accurate.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
11/05/2018 6:20 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

@"Ignasi_p" There is no other way to try.I also started with only the first year, the second rapid 1ud at meals and now according to day, resistance, diseases, etc.
Sometimes 1ud 50mg/GL and others will be less.Especially because 1ud are 4 drops of the pen and I rarely get 4 drops, they are usually 2 drops.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/06/2018 7:38 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Just my endo explained it to me the other day.

Divides 1800 for the total units that you put so much quickly and slowly in the day, for example: 1800/20 = 90 in blood is what an insulin unit lowers you.

Then if you have 250 in blood and you are going to eat, use your real glycemia and the subtraction to the target glycemia, the result divides it by your sensitivity factor, example: 250-120 = 130/90 = 1.44 units you should put onfurther.

I edit to say that this has to explain it to you or yes your endo or nurse, which are sometimes very vague.

Ursula's profile photo
Ursula
11/14/2018 10:51 p.m.

Eye with the sensitivity formula because it is not true, it is an orientative value.
The sensitivity depends on the time of day, if we have done or exercise, if you are a woman of your cycle status, if you are cold, if you have a stomach problem .....
The reality of each one of finding out testing and over time is more or less known.In addition, it changes as we have spent more diabetes.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/15/2018 7:42 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

My endo calculated in the month of July, based on the HCs that I consumed at each meal for 3 consecutive days, the HC ratio and sensitivity.(Daily record with food, my HC calculation itself accounted for them badly and 24 -hour glucose result from XDRIP for 3 days)
The nurse, who was present, made the calculation of the 1800 rule and did not look at the results ......
Before I applied 1 UD to download 50, now they are 40 and I do better, although I suppose it is also for having calculated the rack for breakfast, food and dinner.

Merchedm's profile photo
Merchedm
11/15/2018 10:15 p.m.

It is best to try it in oneself.Put a fast unit when you are 200 and look at what has dropped at two hours.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/16/2018 1:13 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

You know !!I am from the prehistory in the subject diabetes, I have never had those tables that you show here.
I was trying and so I learned to know how to control my body.It is true that we are different and one, two unid to one person will make an effect that to another.
Always under the guidelines of the endocrine and experience, it is the only way to get to know your body

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
09/21/2019 7:12 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.