Veteran in diabetes but with doubts.

tay's profile photo   11/12/2010 11:46 a.m.

Hello!

As the subject of the subject says, I am new here but not in diabetes.
I am 20 years old and they diagnosed me with type I diabetes at 6 years, so they are already living with her.
My relationship with diabetes has never been good, in fact my last Hemo has been 8 despite being controlled by an endocrine.I have decided to register in the forum when you see that you have this section on the insulin pump.I have always denied her as much as my endocrine offers it as an active and passive option and I have reached a point in my life where I am tired of depending on insulin pens, high hemoglobins and glucose values ​​never constant.

How was your experience with her?
The truth is that I have always thought that the dependence of diabetes itself would increase this by wearing a device connected to you during the 24 hours of the day, trying to hide it so that it does not notice under your clothes, seeing you with it all day...I don't know.I think I need a little of your experience to unfold my point of view and be a bit more flexible in the decision.Is it easily hidden?Do you feel that state of dependence-assignment towards diabetes when taking it?

Thanks in advance,

All the best!

tay's profile photo
tay
11/12/2010 11:46 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Tay:
Well, my experience with the bomb cannot be better, I have already said it in this forum thousands of times :)) :)) :)), I do not feel that dependence on which you speak, quite the opposite, I do not need to hide it either,I do not carry a poster saying that I have diabetes but neither does it hide it either.The bomb has given me a lot of freedom, stability, quality of life, but of course it does not work alone, to get good we have to take care of yourself, measure the glucose frequently ... etc .... etc ....
I always recommend it because my experience cannot be better .....: D

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/12/2010 12:16 p.m.

Tay, welcome.

I am 20 years old, like you, and I give diabetics from 9. They offered me the bomb for the first time at 16, and I thought about it but I didn't finally decide.Over the years my reaction to her was increasing

Well.So it was me.I was not a resounding, but a "not now, I don't see myself, I don't think it was going to be comfortable" when the new adult endocrine told me again, what worried me most was having to convince my father thatmy & lt; "reasons"
Not to carry it were lawful.I went to the obligatory informative talk.5 days later, I agreed to put it on.

Reasons:
-I'm diabetic yes or yes, regardless of having a pot or not hanging.
- The pros are much better than the cons, even when those cons are so powerful (because when you are young, things are so) as aesthetic cons.
- If you are not always comfortable, you can always return to the Bolis.It is not an operation or a contract with the devil.
- If you want to go to the beach, you can remove the bomb before according to the endo.
- Those who already know that you are a diabetic of your environment will not see you more diabetic for carrying it (in fact, it will make them funny)
- Think about being sick, don't feel like eating and not having to do it!I don't know, but when I was bad it was one of the things that I had worse.Have to eat because I had put the Lantus to breakfast.
- Don't you carry your mobile and the MP3 all day on top?

That last argument, honestly, disarmed me.I have an iPod of the greats (120GB) and although the bomb is thicker, it is remarkably smaller than my MP3/Andante Discodide.I have been with the bomb since Wednesday 3, one week and Emdia, and I swear I don't notice, it doesn't worry me, I don't create anxiety, I don't even remember the xD bolis I am delighted, I have great blood glucose (yes: that is not: that is notIt is achieved by the bomb, I can, but the bomb has helped me a lot to be motivated to control myself) and I don't change it for anything.And if in 8 months I need to take it off because I need a break or I want to go to Benidorm for a month, I do it.

Think it.Any questions you have, ask it.It is a very big opportunity.And if you want something, I am private;)

All the best,

Ali

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/12/2010 1:11 p.m.

Hi Tay !!!!
I believe that everyone, or almost all the diabetics that we have debut of young people, we have gone through the same time.
I debuted with 16 years. For that time, I was at the age of the turkey, rebellion, to go out with friends ... and did not accept my illness.I did not want to be a poor little girl with a speech, the "special" girl, who felt penalty or pity, or that they would look straight for carrying a device on top and who saw and whispered the compis of the schoolor different from the others. At the end of time, I had 3 severe hypoglycemia, and sincerely, I spent a lot, but what a lot of fear, and I started to rethink the bomb.
I did not decide, until I obtained sufficient information through forums and people who had it. For anything it was as dramatic as I imagined, nor is it even similar to the movies that mounted me in my head.
I decided even more, when I have thought of a few years, being a mother, and obviously, I wantMia and my stubborn fault, I could not with my conscience. At least I want to try, I am taking care of myI'm going to get it.
So I changed my way of thinking and requested the bomb. And when I decided it was when I found more problems, because my endo did not want to put it. I have cost me God and a triumph get it, I went down from a hemo of 9, to6.7 ... And when I get something between eyebrow and eyebrow ... hahahaha, but hey, it's for a good end.
I encourage you to try, and once you try it, give your opinion, you will see how it is not so much.Well, it is noticed. Now there are many websites that sell a kind of frogs, that you put it there, and it does not show, and a monton is hidden. Everyone is a matter of making "truquis" that over time is learned.There are very worse things.

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
11/12/2010 1:35 p.m.

Oh!Thank you very much for the fast answers: D

I was surprised to see that I am not the only one that has passed or is going through that stubborn phase to say that not the insulin bomb.
Precisely, Kekiya, I have begun to raise it for that same reason in the future I would like to be a mother or other health problems that could appear.

Is it upset at bedtime?
How long can you remove it for certain situations, such as beach?
Does the pump help lower the hemo along with a good diet, exercise ...?I think this point is the one that interests me the most, because my main objective by putting it on would be this.

All the best!And thanks again.

tay's profile photo
tay
11/12/2010 2:48 p.m.

Well there are many factors that help you have a good hemoglobin: playing sports, taking fiber, always doing the relevant controls to adjust well, and one thing that looks like a bullshit, but that has helped me to have good controls is to teach youThe carbohydrate counting. In 10 years that I have been, always to Boleo ... of course, so it happened, controls that did not go down from 7 ... and it was to teach me this, and I do not know if the best, but of theBetter figures of my life as a diabetics, a 6.7!At first it is not easy, but well, everything is a question of time, like everything.
And nothing, as to take off the bomb for a little while ... I can't help you in that yet, because I will premiere as a bomber for February-March, but come on, for what I understand, to shower you, bathe you on the beach... you disconnect it for a ratin, with the guidelines that are to follow, and there is no problem. But you imagine going to dinner there, and not always have to look for a bath to prick you, when giving a little buton you already have there you have thereYour insulina. Imagine going to a concert, and having to take a Sanwich, because you have to click on or if ... and you look for a place there to prick you without seeing the people or sn that give you a push and push youI know that of Christ ... All this with the bomb are things that save you, situations or circumstances. Once you are revolt and you do not want for example dinner ... with a bomb nothing happens, or that I have understood. However, with the bolis, you have to have dinner yes or yes, to avoid hypoglycemia. I would try, you don't lose anything, and you may win.

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
11/12/2010 3:32 p.m.

Tay, you can take a maximum of 2-3h every day following your endocrine instructions (it will tell you that when you connect it again you put a bolus corresponding to what at that time should have entered or something like that), And for what mine has told me, there is no problem if I want to go 15 days to the beach and I do not want to take it, or if I need a month of bomb.As I tell you, they are flexible at those points.

As for hemoglobin: it's like everything.The bomb if you do not do things as you should do not use and it is even dangerous in the sense that not having a basal in the body, if you eat and do not get a bolus (the equivalent to the typical fast puncture) The sugar goes up very quickly because the amount you have in the body is minimal.For example: I have 1U of Basal, imagine what would happen if the bolus did not put me.Insured hyperglycemia and very quickly.

You have to be aware that it requires more often glycemia controls.If you are like me (which was a disaster with post food measures) you have to make the effort to control it.What the bomb is, say and for my own experience, soften the glycemia curve. There are not so many descents or so many ups.In recent days I rarely got from 170 (removing a couple of times that I did not put enough insulin when eating, I am still adjusting that) and I have had 2 hypoglycemia this week when the previous ones was having to carry 3 juices in my backpackBecause he didn't care what he did, he had a safe hypo.What I want to say with all this (that distracted me) is that it helps if you want to help, and if not, PEUS like everything in life, it does not help much.You keep the control, but yes, the pump helps to stay more stable.

As for sleeping: not-not-not.I promise you.I am hallucinated with that because I saw an advertisement of a breeding hugged to the bomb and I thought "Holy God how they pass with Publi, it cannot be comfortable" The other day I was about to hug me to mine :)) II carry it in one of these bags that are made to carry the passport or some money inside my pants when you go on a trip, and I am hypercomoda.I do not notice, I carry it out of my pants (total, at home I do not care that it looks) and I put it behind, on my back.As I sleep from side and gap but never Bocarriba, it is the perfect place.I don't even find out ^^

On the other hand, I believe that all young people have gone through the rejection stage and I think it is normal, but Tay, really ... sooner or later you will want to try it.Why not start taking care of yourself now?;)

(And after my two penions, I think Roche/Medtronic should hire me for the service I do ... hahaha)

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/12/2010 5:50 p.m.

Reading your experiences I see that there are more advantages than inconveniences (and that all of them such as sleeping for example were only my imaginations), in addition, I have been investigating and I have seen that there are many accessories or clothes that help you carry the bomb ofA more comfortable or discreet form.

I still do not know what I will do but you have opened the door that had a key and a thousand locks more to the yes to think about it, I think that in the next appointment with my endocrine I will tell it, it will better notify you to grab thechair will not fall out of surprise after so many years with my xD stitching

Thank you very much for your messages.
All the best!

tay's profile photo
tay
11/13/2010 5:02 a.m.

I have been without appearing here for a few days and I discover that new and new compas are incorporating the world of the bomb.
Tay, this veteran firefighter welcomes you more cordial.I see that other friends have explained and contributed more than plenty of arguments.Listen to them, don't think about it much more.
I am quite older than you, I have been with diabetes for twenty years, eight years old with the bomb.And there is no comparison.Think that no matter how well controlled you try to go based on two, three, four, ... daily punctures, you can never get the effect of a "dropper" that permanently gives you a small dose every minuteor every couple of minutes.And that this dose the spaces (the programs) depending on your needs at each stage of the day.
If you read some of my previous messages you will see that other friends tell you the same thing: We are privileged!We have had the bad luck that "we have touched" a diabetes, it is true, but since there are a few more millions that have no insulin.And we, firefighters, are part of the "Jet Society" world diabetics.We are one of the few who enjoy the continuous infusion of insulin.That said, some privileged.
Welcome.
A cordial greeting for everyone.

(Do not forget to look a little below ... and always remember it)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/23/2010 3:06 p.m.

Hello!!!

I am 26 years old and I have been with the happy diabetes.For 4 or 5 years I have been insulin pump.I obsess what I wanted to get it, I was about to buy it because everything that Leia was advantages.My endocrine was in favor of the bomb, but in Aragon they did not wear.I got to talk to the Minister of Health, ... and in the end they put the bomb (heavy no one beats me) after putting it, I began to agobair with the bomb.The first month was frightening ... I was clogged several times, my crotch was broken as many ... Several episodes of Cetoris ... I didn't have the basal well regulated ... I was about to return it, but myMother told me something like that she killed me if she returned her after the evil she had given.In the end I managed to dominate her and now I don't change her for anything.Last summer I remove it to go to the beach a week (I don't convince me about disconnections for several hours) and miss it much: d.I do not return to the bowling or crazy.I also love to do sports and the bomb is the solution, you lower the basal a little before and during and you can keep the sugar to the scratch (almost always ...)

And to hide it there are many tricks, I usually have it hooked on one side of the fastemade an aujerito inside and pass the catheter there and nothing is noticed (it is also very comfortable).Sometimes I carry a "hairdressing" type bag, these that sell them in hippie stores that fate at the waist and carry the pump there (this option is more comfortable than wearing the pump in holding but there is no bein left with all the clothes)

And to sleep the most comfortable, for me, it is to sew Mobile fabric covers in the pajamas.I also make a aujerito in the pajamas and so I pass the catheter inside and I cannot start it.Sometimes I sleep with the pump loose on the bed, but it is a bit uncomfortable above all for my boyfriend who ends up and wakes up because he nails it: P (he can also give me a pull).

Do not think about it, and at least try it for a season.

tica's profile photo
tica
11/24/2010 10:07 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.