Young diabetics go up to Everest

DiabetesForo's profile photo   09/02/2012 10:36 a.m.

http: //www.rcysosstability.telefonica ... elephonica/

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/02/2012 10:36 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Man, friend iOSu: D

I respect the friend iOSu has sought life in this way.

It seems fantastic to promote that people with diabetes exceed limits, in this case reaching the basket of Everest.

I support the use of new technologies, telemedicine will be part of our life because it saves costs and improves patient care.

But someone could explain how it is possible to glymia at more than 4000 meters high when none of the glucometers that I have seen supports it, you can check it in the user guide of your glucometers.
For example:

Opium: .... only valid up to 2195 meters
Ultrasmart: Link ... r7_web.pdf only valid up to 3048 meters
Countour usb: Link ... suario.pdf </a only valid up to 4000 meters

Not to mention that the conditions of relative moisture of the air greater than 90% (something that usually happens in those heights) invalidates the measurements in all glucometers;or that the operating temperature of the glucometers can never lower from 2nd (at best, that of Acuchek Aviva) or that the conditions of use of reactive strips are not advised by any manufacturer ...

Anyway, I hope someone will take me out of my doubts ... and that I have some questions, including iOSU himself.

DiabetesForo
09/02/2012 11:32 a.m.

Technically that is possible..The solution, although somewhat expensive and complicated by logistics issues, would be, "pressurize" a module or cabin of small dimensions to achieve less atmospheric pressure, similar to 600 or 700 m above sea level.

The train that goes to the Tibet region, from Beijing to Lhas

I am curious to know how they have been fixed in these extreme conditions, not only the issue of profiles, also, as the insulin retains and avoids freezing, the issue of punctures (I imagine that I will do it with the gloves on, withThose temperatures ...), and finally, the blog will have to be followed.

Greetings to the forum;)

olmo's profile photo
olmo
09/02/2012 6:37 p.m.

In the blog they are going to tell the adventure day by day, so we will have to read it;)

DiabetesForo
09/02/2012 6:45 p.m.

I already have it edited in favorites ...: D

olmo's profile photo
olmo
09/02/2012 6:53 p.m.

Technically that is possible..The solution, although somewhat expensive and complicated by logistics issues, would be, "pressurize" a module or cabin of small dimensions to achieve less atmospheric pressure, similar to 600 or 700 m above sea level.

The train that goes to the Tibet region, from Beijing to Lhas

I am curious to know how they have been fixed in these extreme conditions, not only the issue of profiles, also, as the insulin retains and avoids freezing, the issue of punctures (I imagine that I will do it with the gloves on, withThose temperatures ...), and finally, the blog will have to be followed.

Greetings to the forum;)

If the acclimatization is pressurized at 4000-5000 meters high, it will be taken by bag;), as soon as they leave the cabin they would fall as ass;
Between being 1000 meters and being 5000 meters, the difference is abysmal for the body ... unless they press something to use it only to get glycemia (5 minutes every time?)
And also the trekking (as designed by the adventure) implies that you do not sleep 2 times in a row in the same place:-/

Insulin is taken to the body directly, below all layers of clothing and probably stored inside cold watertight compartment (in this case hot: mrgreen :)

I have not received a answer to the punctures when I asked the same thing:-/
I imagine that insulin will be punctured next to the fire, if not impossible ... it would freeze instantly.

The logical thing is that they carry basal and put very little or nothing quick ... The glucose expense for the exercise in height must be enormous.

In addition, a hypoglycemia in the middle of a glacier is: D ... is that the slightest symptom of anything you are already zampando 2 cocacolas of the pull ... because I do not imagine the typical feeling of hiccups, that doubts, that you see thatThe legs do not go and you say I will stop here, 15º below zero to make a glycemia, without a store and with nothing to cover me ... come on, is that no doubt, you eat/baby what you carry on and we will see later.

DiabetesForo
09/03/2012 4:25 p.m.

With a hypoglycemia, they do have to resort to a coca-cool ... with those temperatures it will be very cool, it is not frozen ...: D

The truth is that they have chosen a very hard testing field, I would say, but well, with the experience of iOSU, surely they get them great ...

olmo's profile photo
olmo
09/03/2012 5:43 p.m.

I have been altitude maximum, it has been more than 3500 meters, and sleeping at 2700 several days.The pump I think I stop working properly because I was 300-400 for two days and with a feeling of ketosis (it had no strips).I changed the bolis and the problem was solved.The glucometer did not fail me, except with temperatures below 15 degrees ...

The journey that they are going to do is really simple, we were looking at him for the boyfriends' trip but we thought it was "little romantic" for the situation;) they are paths that go donkeys, horses and people with crushes, pass through populated and at any timeA helicopter can go looking for you.In fact, to avoid the 15 days of crossing people arrive by helicopter to the base camp that is at 5300. The minimum temperature that can be reached at night is -10 degrees, but it is not normal, it is supposed to be polar with polar lining, a Gortex and a sack of -0 degrees is enough ...

I do not want to remove merit from the people who are going, in fact it seems to me a great way to show that we are not invalid people, but I think they have adorned the news a lot ... it was not necessary to go so far to climb 5300m (they do not go upto Evest) ... in fact the total slope will be about 2700 ...

I talked to the endocrine about the subject of altitude, the bomb and the meter ... he told me that he had no idea, but that he would consult it.He asked it in a congress and told me that another doctor had the same question as a patient, but they only concluded that the problem could be in the batteries and in the pressure of the plunger.I speak with Novalab's and he told me that their products do not have that problem because they are not submersible ... nor have they empty ... Those of Roche told me that he will not use his pump more than 3000 meters (although in the instructionsput 2200, I think)

tica's profile photo
tica
09/04/2012 7:21 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

DiabetesForo
12/04/2012 3:56 p.m.

I see it later with longer.

Tica love, if you upload those heights:-/, childbirth does not have to worry :)) I see the numbers you put in the altitude ... I get dizzy.:-/

Nana's profile photo
Nana
12/05/2012 11:08 a.m.

Desde los 8 años con mi amiga Diabetes, llevamos de amistad 55 años...pa'lante siempre.

Hemo 5.9 enero 2014 Bombera 3 años.

Si algún día te sientes pequeño, inútil ultrajado y deprimido, recuerda que un día fuiste el espermatozoide mas rápido y victorioso de tu grupo.

In the end I learned that the glucometer they used was the Glucotel: Link ... 19787.html

The technical characteristics are very similar to the rest.

Bea García, the Catalan girl who completed the challenge confirmed it on Twitter.

DiabetesForo
12/05/2012 12:23 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.