types of insulin

leo's profile photo   12/20/2010 5:43 a.m.

Hello, reading in this forum and for experiences of people that I know I have seen that not everyone clicks on all meals there are even people who are only click once a day, to which this is due? When the disease is moving forward you have toprick you less times?Thank you.

leo's profile photo
leo
12/20/2010 5:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It has nothing to do with the "advance" of the disease, but with the needs and lifestyle of each one.In fact, the disease does not advance.It arrives, it is installed and depends on each one that is well controlled or not.What are advancing are complications in case of bad control.
There are many different treatments in insulin, and different types.It must be the endocrine who marks the most appropriate pattern to each need.
Therefore, there are people who only need insulin once or twice a day (usually type 2, combined with oral antidiabetics).Others go with a slow (Lantus, Levemir) and ultra -grape injections in each meal.Others carry insulin bomb, which continuously injects small doses of ultra -grape ...
I hope I have clarified something.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/20/2010 6:30 a.m.

Apart from what a lot of confusion has said, because in the forms there are many doubts/consultations in which the one who makes them does not specify what type of diabetes it has and those who respond have to guess the guy.

The number of punctures in type 1 diabetics can vary depending on several things:

• Type of treatment: People with Lantus normally only have a puncture a day, however, people with Levemir can be with a puncture a day or can be with two punctures and this only reference with slow or action insulinsprolonged.

• InSnack that implies extra puncture which leads us to 4 punctures day and this only referring to ultra-open or immediate action insulins.
  • In that initial phase called "honeymoon" where there is still endogenous insulin, its own insulin: at that time the needs of exogenous insulin are low, sometimes it is necessary to temporarily suppress some of the punctures.
  • With insulin bomb: there are no daily "punctures" in the classic style since there is only one "puncture" every x days to change the area of ​​zone.
  • The number of punctures in type 2 diabetics can vary depending on several things:

• That has no dependence on insulin:

• That with the diet and lose weight a bit is enough.

• That with the diet and some oral antidiabetic is sufficient.

• That with the diet and some combination of oral antidiabetics is sufficient.
  • It may only have partial dependence on insulin: depending on the treatment prescribed by the endocrine, it may only need a puncture a day of slow insulin or prolonged action, maybe two punctures a day of this type of insulins.

It may have total dependence on insulin: then the explained for type 1 diabetics can happen (except the "honeymoon").

With type 2 diabetics there is usually more confusion PQ according to what cases their treatment can be identical to that of a type 1 diabetic.

DiabetesForo
    12/20/2010 7:31 a.m.

Hello, then I make 6 meals and I just shed at the food and dinner breakfast, at lunch (80 gr of bread) and in the snack (two yogurts and a maria cookie) I do not wear, and if I skip any food I have hiccupsSure, the same is because I am on a honeymoon ...........

DiabetesForo
    12/20/2010 5:08 p.m.

Ah and in Reena (2 skim yogurts) I don't sulked me either.

DiabetesForo
    12/20/2010 5:26 p.m.

One thing is normal meals (breakfast, food and dinner) and another is to make some extra but small shot of carbohydrates (1, 1.5 or 2 rations of HC).

What you say that you take to snack (two yogurts and a maria cookie) If the yogurts are natural and you take them without sugar you are taking about 15 g of HC (1.5 rations of HC) that is very well, it allows you to get well toThe dinner but that is not an HC taking so large as to need an extra puncture and the same with what you take in the post-cena (2 skim yogurts) if you take them without extra sugar are you taking about 10 g of HC(1 ration of HC) that is very well, it helps you not to have a nocturnal hypoglycemia but that is not an HC taking as large as to need an extra puncture.

Surely the HC rations you make in those intermediate shots (mid-morning/mid-afternoon/post-cena) are quite lower than the HC rations that you take for breakfast/food/dinner.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 6:44 a.m.

If you have the basal adjusted, provided you use lantus or less and you are not on a honeymoon as a study, you should need insulin for each ration of carbohydrates, whether snack, mid -morning or whenever.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 7:13 a.m.

Already ... but no matter how well the basal insulin is, it is impossible to fix everything only with insulins.

Sometimes it compensates more to make an extra but small shot of HC to fix a small period of the day than try to fix that same period of the day playing the insulins PQ may arrange that period of the day but you can harm other periods of the same day.

An example: maybe you have a risk of hypoglycemia in mid -morning or when you approach noon but the rest of the day you have it well or very well, in that situation you can compensate more to make an extra but small shot of HC in mid -morning that youAlso reach food and forget about the subject to try to fix that moment of the day based on touching insulins, yes, any period of the day can be improved based on touching insulins but for fixing that period of the day maybe others harm others(And then you are going to fix those others and have the first problem and ... the fish that bite the tail, be all day with insulins up and then down or vice versa when with an extra hC take you forget you).

This is one of the weak points that I see to prolonged action insulins (such as lantus or less) its use is not so physiological when making a puncture a day with a certain dose, the needs of basal insulin will beMore or less constant but those needs can be different at different times of the day and there are people who notice more than another and no matter how much you touch or there you will not have everything perfect only with insulins.

Current treatments with insulin analogues have good things and not so good things, nor was the above so bad or the new is so good.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 7:42 a.m.

As the meadow has said if you have the basal adjusted (either because insulin pump is used or because with the Lantus you cover all hours and there are no extra needs of insulin) it is that they eat carbohydrates, insulin must be injected.To me a ration and a half of carbohydrates rises about 100 sugar (I need two insulin units).If at the time of the snack I am 100 and I would cover 1.5HC, I would arrive at dinner at 200 and although these increases are sometimes inevitable, I believe that every day a few hours at 200 is not recommended.

Leo, equal to the beginning does not need to prick insulin in all meals because it is still on the honeymoon, but after that first moment as a rule, whenever it is going to ingest carbohydrates, it is necessary to punctuate ultra fast insulin.In addition to these punctures we must add that of the slow (Lantus or Levemir).Sometimes the Lantus (or Levemir) does not cover all the hours or depending on which time the body has more insulin requirements, I, for example, solved it by clicking on those two hours that the sugar went up, others put more amount of Lantus andWhen the body requires less insulin, they compensate it by eating HC, each one has its tricks, but that is why you do not worry that based on tests and years it is possible to control it.

If the treatment is with the insulins NPH and regulate the issue is different ... but I doubt that this treatment will continue, but I remember evil from 1999 or 2000 stop using the regular fast and what I did have was the NPH until2002 or something that changed it to Lantus .... a lot to rained since then

tica's profile photo
    tica
    12/21/2010 8:38 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
    DM1 desde 1988
    Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
    Bomba + Dexcom

Possibly there is being put more insulin lantus (or less) from which I need me with the current treatments I am surprised that someone has to make extra HC shots in mid-morning in the middle of the afternoon and in the post-cena systematically all systematicallyThe days.

One thing is what I comment in my previous post to this (an extra HC take to fix a period of the day) and another to have 3 post-commissions per system, now ... if I do not say anything.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 10:06 a.m.

I totally agree with Tica, one of the things that worse the beginning that NPH used is to have to eat by "obligation" in mid -afternoon and in the fault of the peak of the NPH, with Lantus that did not happen to me anymore: D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, D, DIf one day I wanted to snack or did not take hydrates or I had to put on a Humalog unit and with the pump even because the basal is adjusted to the millimeter and if or if you have to wear a bolus for a ration of hydrates.
    Of course there is no perfect treatment, but I certainly keep the modern treatments that allow you to imitate the pancreas and give you a freedom of schedules and meals that NPH did not give.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 10:13 a.m.

TNT, indeed, the yogurts are skimmed sweetened 0/0, I put the lantus at 00.00, and also receind (2 yogurts) and at 8.30 I usually lift around 90, but as "something" I do not arrive ...... Maybe you are right and I get too much, in February I will ask the endo to have made a movie, although the last time he told me anything, he told me to continue like this.

DiabetesForo
    12/21/2010 1:40 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.