Hello, rookie in DM1

garlea's profile photo   11/04/2012 7:22 a.m.

I am a very active person and had a time that I was very tired, my vision suffered alterations, ate four times more and in a matter of little time I lost some 8kg (enough for how thin I am), I drank water excessively and logically I went to the sinkVery often, I was anxious to eat sweet (6 donuts, 2 cocacolas, brave potatoes, that was my last night).After we have a rare months, my partner looked on the symptoms on the Internet, it is already known that this should not be done but it was to see if it was a matter to go to the doctor or not, time is gold.To my surprise all the symptoms led me to diabetes, I had no idea of ​​the guys or anything, all I knew is that you can lead a normal life.
I went to the doctor and well, I was very calm until he told me ... Run to the hospital that an educator will assign you to explain how everything works.He dislocated me completely because he only explained that my body was stopping insulin and had to be treated.The fact is that my parents live nearby and went to comment on what was happening, they scared me even more, I had nothing clear what was happening to me and we were running.
Anyway, that I was very calm, without problems to accept what they told me but the faces and the mood blows made me more nervous.To start they gave me a week of low thing that I didn't understand either, I could make a normal life with this disease.They explained how the entire issue of insulin bolis worked, we did some tests, that was when I crumbled, my life has changed and I have panic to the needles, how I am going to do it.The first weeks I spent it fatal, my fingers looked like small strains, I had no space to take the samples and I had them very sensitive, injected the insulin took me 10 min.until I dared to click.A whole show.This disease is not made for me, I thought.
What I have best is the issue of food, without problems, eating vegetables and grilled things ... no problem.The worst are the anxieties of birthday parties, cakes, soft drinks, etc. But hey, a good salad and your nonsense is removed.
I must say that my partner supported me a lot, I left my space for me to find me comfortable and I was encouraged in the moments of downturn, my family the same worried at all times to see how I wore it, I cannot complain, at that time I wasbetween cotton.
A few months ago I thanked my medical team that helped me, the heat and security they gave me in these difficult times because their work helps me in my day to day.
So since April of this year I consider myself an accelerated diabetic, dedicated to good nutrition and exercise.
I consider that at all I lead a normal life, that was what I did before eating at ease, which I wanted and be able to chop between food and food, do the exercise when I could, not have to keep reservations in my bag, or have to have toBe pending if I miss any carbohydrate.It hurries me when I have to stop and "repost" because I always have something to do.But if something has taught me diabetes is to take my life more calmly.Enjoy at all times and taste the most precious good, food.
Now that I am more mentalized what happens to my body I am waiting for when the honeymoon ends, I take off the L.
It has been good for me as a relief, I have been reading and I wanted to write.
All the best

garlea's profile photo
garlea
11/04/2012 7:22 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I encourage!... greetingsssss

ALFONSO TESORO's profile photo
ALFONSO TESORO
11/04/2012 10:14 a.m.

Welcome to the forum

Time minimizes almost everything ... I don't see very normal either to have insulin or get 6 or 7 daily glycemia controls, always carry cookies or glucosport in my bag ... at least no one in my environment does it: mrgreen: But hey, it's what there is, so you better get it as well as possible.

For me, since always, the worst thing I have taken is to have the diabetes in my head 24 hours 365 days ... clicking me never cost me, in fact after the first prick of the debut the next one I already did myself and until today ..It is worse to see how much you have to put on, if you exercise, if you have eaten 4 fried potatoes or if those same potatoes last week hit you up ...

Anyway, that palante as those of Alicante

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/04/2012 11:30 a.m.

Welcome Garlea!

As you remind me of my first months.The needles also panic, it could take those 10 or 15 minutes to get click (and that using special needles, with the normal ones I do not know what would have been of me ..: d), now the initial fears have been exceeded, in 1 minuteI am already ready ...

Much encouragement Garlea !!: D

olmo's profile photo
olmo
11/04/2012 1:35 p.m.

Welcome and very good start!

Happy!

^_^

Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot]'s profile photo
Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot]
11/05/2012 6:07 a.m.

Welcome to the forum !!!
I have been with diabetes for two years and I still have the needles dread ..., I think that fear will never be taken away .... But it is what there is ....
Many spirits and I always say that a life equal to that before I will never have but I look back and I see that there are things in life that have no solution and luckily exercise diabetes, insulin and a stable diet can have a solution.

lore_bcn's profile photo
lore_bcn
11/05/2012 7:25 a.m.

Vienvenid@
Getting used to needles, never, losing your fear, never, resigning, you will do it ... unfortunately for most.After 2 and a half years most times I have to breathe strongly before injecting and most of the time I close my eyes because it gives me a little thing.You will also have very bad days like the one I have today that I have been injected 4 times (I calculate that I will have 2 more) because I have no way to control myself.With this I do not want to depress but it is the reality.
On the other hand, one thing thinks, the best of all that this story does not prevent you from doing anything you want to do or propose ... you can dance, travel, drive ... whatever you want.It is a matter of patience.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
11/05/2012 11:31 a.m.

Welcome Garlea!
You remind me when I arrived at the hospital, 13 years ago, convinced that diabetes was 'not being able to eat sugar', without worrying about anything.
When they told me everything you don't see what downturn!But you overcome and get used to everything, to the punctures, to the concern for what you are going to find for dinner in a restaurant in another country, to click on a taxi or in the street ...
Besides, you have no choice but to get used to it and take it as well as possible.
Talking with other people who have diabetes will help you, you'll see it!

a hug

Sugared's profile photo
Sugared
11/05/2012 12:18 p.m.

Thanks for the spirits, the truth is that I had been reading for a few months of looking for more information and seeing that my "shit" confusing a slow insulin with a quick because it also happens to more people.There are always doubts and the forum is going very well to clarify them and especially share experiences and different points of view.
If it is true that you can dance, travel, eat in restaurants, what I have already tried to say that it is what I carry best: P but I was already very clueless and now with diabetes I focus a lot on the sensations of my body andThis makes me dispense a little more about everything that surrounds me in my day to day.Sometimes I am hungry and I think it is giving me a descent, I start to get nervous and I focus more on me, I try to guess what the body means and when I take the sample I am 110-120 so it is moreWell need to want to eat (again) hahaha.
I must recognize that the possible problems that can be derived from a diabetes scare me a little to the point of wanting to change their insurance to cover my needs in this case. I know, I imagine it is a matter of time.
The truth is that I cannot complain, I am a good student, trying to always get a good note, so we went from a hem of 13% in April to 6.3% in September.The endocrine laughed because I asked if she had taken advantage, she told me that with a note, hahaha.
By the way, are there any anecdotes, right?
Greetings to all

garlea's profile photo
garlea
11/05/2012 1:52 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.