{'en': 'Maltitol', 'es': 'Maltitol'} Image

Maltitol

Bego84's profile photo   01/26/2011 4:10 p.m.

Hello everyone.

I write because my father has been diabetic for some years, this month he has had to start injecting insulin, and the truth is that I am a little lost with this issue.

The point is that he is very sweet and next week is his birthday, and he wanted to make him a good chocolate cake so he could swell without dying.

I bought Estevia, but I am not sure how to use it, and today in the supermarket I have seen that there are nestlé chocolates without added sugars, sweetened with Maltitol, and cookies also without sugar, sweetened with the same.

Are those products suitable for diabetics?And if not, does anyone know a recipe of chocolate cake for sweet tooth?

Thank you so much!

Bego84's profile photo
Bego84
01/26/2011 4:10 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

For a person who has just started with insulin, I think it is very important that he becomes aware that eating sweet is one of the worst options he has if he wants to live without problems in the future.Because insulin is proof that the thing is worse.The body can no longer fix them with pills and diet.
The diet of a person with diabetes restricts foods with HC of rapid absorption (that is, what we know for sugar) to prevent glymemics from raising us very quickly.Dulces sweetened with Maltitol and the like have a lower increase in blood glucose;Or better, said, slower, because it eliminates rapid HC (sugar), but still has HC;such as those of the flour.Therefore, it is still a food to control.And it is not free consumption.
As I said, my opinion is that it is important that a person with newly diagnosed diabetes, be faithful to the treatment that your doctor has put, and follow the restrictive diet of HC.That is, that you get used to eating healthy, which is actually what a diabetic should do: control and reduce fats, control (and reduce if there is overweight) HC, avoid rapid absorption sugars ... why?To get used to eating in a healthier way, which will inevitably have an improvement in your health and a lower possibility of developing the probes of long -term diabetes.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/27/2011 3 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Thank you very much, but everything you tell me is evident.My father knows what he can and cannot take, and is totally aware of it.I have no idea of ​​all this diabetes, and I wanted to investigate to give it a surprise and that I can take a cake finally in your own birthday.

Bego84's profile photo
Bego84
01/27/2011 11:06 a.m.

Bego, what Gondrullo tries to say, I think, is that you do not have to stay only with the theme of the sweetener replacing the sugar.

Fats, harmful to arteriosclerosis, and excessive calories, which favor obesity and insulin resistance, are as important as blood glucose itself.

In addition, no matter how much sugar replaces, flour is going to carry equally ... cookies without sugar have carbohydrates that will also raise glycemia.
It is better to eat very little of a sugar cake than a lot of a cake without sugar.

In my opinion, what your father should do, as Gondullo says, is to keep control of food ... And that takes time and effort.
A visit to the dietitist or the educational nurse in diabetes is essential.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/28/2011 12:04 p.m.

Hello!If fast insulin is placed before meals, you can give it a cake with sugar by increasing the fast dose, (you will have to prove your insulin sensitivity to succeed with the dose).
But if only a basal insulin is put on, then the control of hydrates must be very strict to avoid hyperglycemia.You could try to make a chocolate mousse, which does not wear a flour, with sweetener.
Greetings: d

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/28/2011 5:02 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Bego, what Gondullo tries to say, I think, you don't have to stay only with the sweetener theme by replacing the sugar.

Fats, harmful to arteriosclerosis, and excessive calories, which favor obesity and insulin resistance, are as important as blood glucose itself.

In addition, no matter how much sugar replaces, flour is going to carry equally ... cookies without sugar have carbohydrates that will also raise glycemia.
It is better to eat very little of a sugar cake than a lot of a cake without sugar.

In my opinion, what your father should do, as Gondullo says, is to keep control of food ... And that takes time and effort.
A visit to the dietitist or the educational nurse in diabetes is essential.

Thanks for reading the thought, because I see that I have explained it awkwardly ... :-)

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/31/2011 10:18 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I do not want to be a devil's lawyer (and less newcomer), but because your father eats a small portion of a cake (if he wears good controls) nothing will happen as long as he puts something more insulin to counteract.Incidentally, it serves to careless a little (the diabetic).

And well, to inject, I see it more as a virtue than as a misfortune.It is true that you have to click but come on, it gives you much more freedom.With pills I would never think of taking a piece of cake while with an ultra -stroke insulin (Novorapid, for example) in 2 hours you can have perfectly controlled and stable levels.

I do not know how your father will carry the controls, but come on, with a glycosilada of 6 - 6.5 and some more or less correct controls will not happen anything because on his birthday a piece of cake is taken.The biggest problem is in the long term, not to take sweets one day.

Lew's profile photo
Lew
02/07/2011 5:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.