{'en': 'Diabetes and Bulimia', 'es': 'Diabetes y Bulimia'} Image

Diabetes and Bulimia

elvira's profile photo   02/02/2011 3:03 p.m.

Good to all,

Where to start ... I am 33 years old and for 5 I have been diabetic and since some years I suffer from food problems, so my diabetes has never been controlled.

Now I am going through a time of binge, almost daily, so my sugar is in the clouds.

I don't know where to start, I need to stop getting torn and start controlling my diabetes once and for all.

Has anyone had episodes of anxiety for eating?

How have you solved it?

Thank you very much in advance!

elvira's profile photo
elvira
02/02/2011 3:03 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

From my point of view you need external support to solve the problem ...
The units of eating disorders are already common in most hospitals.
If you trust your endo or your educator could be great support ... They could refer you to those units.

Perhaps, you should work especially security and self -confidence ... So a visit to a good psychologist would not go wrong.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/02/2011 3:16 p.m.

Thank you for your answer.

elvira's profile photo
elvira
02/02/2011 3:20 p.m.

I see it as essential ... that is, I know that I have no other possibility to prick+control the HC+measure the blood glucose+exercise
I know that if I do not do that I will have long -term complications ...

Internet forums, self -help groups, patient associations ... are social support points.
Do not forget that we are social elections, we need to feel within some norms and see that other people are going through the same.
Trust, self -esteem, security ... are very important because we have a chronic disease to treat during every day of the year and go through better and worse times.

Knowing what you do right and knowing what you do wrong is a good start .... Attending diabetological education classes (which includes nutrition) would be a way to start being clear about what should be done and how to do it ...Nothing is prohibited, but you have to do it with head.
example, do extreme sports, drink alcohol ...

Another important aspect is to have a close person who listens to us and helps us: boyfriend, couple, friends, endo, educator ... It is normal to ask for help from the closest people and if they are true friends they will be happy to help you.

Summary:
- External support, not necessarily a psychologist but someone who is not of your environment and understands both diabetes and eating behavioral problems
- Close support
- Have theoretical knowledge about nutrition and diabetes

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/02/2011 3:45 p.m.

Thank you very much for your help, for feeling that there is someone who understands me because it is very hard to think that you are a weirdo and that nobody knows how you feel. I have also "advised" me to get fed up with apples but like you, I startBy apples and I continue with chocolate and you will tell me how my diabetes affects that.
I will try to find out about the acupuncture for the issue of anxiety and that is that when I get into my head that I have to eat, I cannot avoid giving me the binge for what I feel later, with forgiveness, like shit.It helps a lot that I am only a long time for what I have the free field to open the fridge as many times as you want.

Really, thank you very much for your testimony and I will tell how I carry it, I hope to get out of this bottomless tunnel.

Greetings

Elvira

elvira's profile photo
elvira
02/03/2011 7:52 a.m.

You are not alone even if you believe it, as you see here there are good advice and experiences, so I encourage you to get that and whatever comes.

josealmeri's profile photo
josealmeri
02/03/2011 8 a.m.

OLA I don't control this forum yet but I am a diabetics for 12 years now I have 20 and for 2 years I hit and vomit ... I have tried to leave it but when I am fine and I think that I will not do it again, circumstances from my day to day (discussions, low self -esteem ...) make it right away, they come to me episodes of anxiety crisis and that worries me, but in the diabetes I have not noticed or ups or down of sugar, it is more, it is more, it is more, it is more,The glycosidala has lowered me, but I worry that I cannot overcome this and that it affects me in a mentally ... any advice?

safin's profile photo
safin
01/30/2014 1:46 p.m.

I have nothing to add to the recommendations of @owash.
I think Elvira, you should start with a diabetological education accompanied by external aid to eliminate those anxiety attacks.
Safin, the same, with the issue of anxiety ...
As @Josealmeri says, you are not alone.Those of us who participate in this forum, are here to share experiences, give and receive answers... And we have all passed or we pass bad times and we cannot come down.

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
01/30/2014 2:58 p.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Maybe you need a medication to control anxiety.Tell the doctor

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/30/2014 4:38 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Good night,

I am new, I have not been able to register when reading this thread.I have felt a very big penalty reading your story Elvira, and yours, Safin.The same thing happens to me and although I try not to give the matter a lot, it worries me, and read what happens to more people ... is very sad.

I think not all endocrine or educators are prepared for these things: I told my endocrineeasy!);My educator, with whom I have some confidence, told him in a joke and laughed but he didn't tell me anything;And my good header, that all he did was tell me that as I continued, I would become a bulimic.He did it to scare me and got me for a season.

I think (although I have not been much yet yet) that we must firmly believe that everything is in our mind and we can achieve 100% control over ourselves, who would not have it?Our hunger?No!So we have to be strong.I have thought about this thousands of times, without exaggeration, and very few I get it, but this cannot continue like this, you have to continue and continue trying.It is our challenge.And our obligation.We have to love, love our body and take care of ourselves.

You have me here in case you need to talk about it or when you have a downturn ... whatever.When I get that hunger attack, try to drink a good drink of water, my cool enters much better, try what goes best.And distract, with TV, with a book, with music, some website ... whatever.

We have to keep this at bay, whatever!We cannot let this dominate us, neither this nor anything except ourselves.We are going to mentalize with it, what can we!CAN.

tonks's profile photo
tonks
01/30/2014 4:53 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.