{'en': 'Ski with the insulin pump', 'es': 'Esquiar con la bomba de insulina'} Image

Ski with the insulin pump

bar's profile photo   11/27/2012 7:56 a.m.

Hello good

I have seen the risk sport thread and read some advice on the skiing of which I have already taken note but if someone could give me a more specific practical advice on skiing with the bomb.

For example, cold (effects and protection), wetting (protection), blows, cannula position, experiences in basal settings, practical diet tips and what to wear in the backpack ....

I have already read the theory and specifications but if someone has good or bad practical experiences, surely any advice will be very useful.

The next challenge to achieve is to be in a position that our daughter can go with the school to ski in January and we believe us to be half safe to be able to live that week.

Thank you.

bar's profile photo
bar
11/27/2012 7:56 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I link a thread where there was a little talked about this: experiences-diabetes/diabetes-sports-risgo-t7069.html

And nonsense, do not even think of leaving insulin in the car, surely freezes ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/28/2012 12:45 p.m.

Uff I would give you the opposite board, leave insulin in the car just in case, you can ask for the backpack, the bomb breaks ... Here in Spain it is not so cold, just in case you can leave it wrapped in a newspaper

In Spain the altitude issue does not affect, I was in the Alps, and if you notice that the bomb did strange things ... I went up a lot without reason ...

About where to carry it, ... I would say that in some area where a blow does not harm the person who carries it.I usually wear it in a pocket on the knee (the pants came with that pocket) last year, ski one day with another pants, and carried the bomb in the fastener, I had a very silly fall, but I key the bomb inA rib, cannot ski again throughout the week, and cost me even breathing.

tica's profile photo
tica
11/28/2012 2:30 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Thanks for the tica tips,

In the end there has been no "mechanical" problem of those that awaited me due to ignorance (cold, placement, frost, falls ...) and on the tracks with the glucometer and glucosport and cookies we have worked well.

Of the other problems many:
A climb the first unexpected and inexplicable night without having even done sports and normal dinner.

Then skiing we decided not to adjust the basal or put temporary a priori to see how we were going and we had a couple of hypos but almost without having started skiing, not very low but we were not able to lift in two minutes with glucosport as usualIn 60 and so many almost an hour and in the end when we lifted it, it took us to hypers of 300 in the afternoon that cost us a few hours to go down.
They were always hypos without noticing them, I don't know if the glucometer measurement measured (?) But just in case we believed it.
After these fluctuations the first three days the last three were almost good considering that everything was without weighing meals and based on snacks and fried potatoes.
Upon on the return trip and it's over.

The sensor stopped working, I don't know if it was cold, or by heat (it got into a pool with the water at 30 and so many degrees) or why it was wrong.

In the end I see more an effect of being able to control meals well from home and based on fast food than the effect of sport itself, because the last days risking less with food the sport had almost no effect, or we did not know how to see them.

greetings

bar's profile photo
bar
01/09/2013 8:12 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.