Love, diabetes and video tapes

electricferrer's profile photo   01/10/2011 9:34 a.m.

A year ago I met my partner and I was completely in love, as soon as I start the relationship I knew about their diabetes and try to expand the few knowledge I knew about the disease.
I immediately realized that my girlfriend at 27 and with diabetes for 4, had not taken care of it excessively.The first thing that caught my attention was that I was a smoker and that I did not follow any type of diet ...
Little by little I started to inform myself on my account of what the diabetic being entails and started pressing to quit smoking and started taking care of it.But logically, I am not his father and at the beginning of the relationship what he wanted least is to press it in these aspects.
Now after a year, and sometimes it gives me the feeling that my knowledge about the disease is broader than she has.
Although I have tried to raise awareness, it is still a bit on the same line, it has reduced tobacco, but continues to smoking, the diet does not care and is not aware of the problems that the disease will behave in the future.
I am not afraid of his illness, and I accept the risk factors that diabetes involves.But what I cannot accept is the fact that she does not work to reduce those risks.
I am trying to convince her to stop smoking, but it is very difficult for me when her own sister or friends continue to offer tobacco.
I know it is his life and is free to choose, but I also have freedom to know next to whom I want to spend mine, so I have told him that if he does not change his attitude it is best to leave the relationship.Obviously she reacts initially, but then it is to leave a Friday and return to the pitillo ... I don't talk about the issue of controlling sugar, her philosophy is, I plug 3 insulin bolis a day and problem of diabetes solved ...
Thanks in advance

electricferrer's profile photo
electricferrer
01/10/2011 9:34 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.