{'en': 'UAB researchers cure type 1 diabetes in dogs', 'es': 'Investigadores de la UAB curan la diabetes tipo 1 en perros'} Image

UAB researchers cure type 1 diabetes in dogs

Sherpa41's profile photo   02/08/2013 1:43 a.m.

Researchers at the Autònoma University of Barcelona (UAB) have managed to completely cure type 1 diabetes in dogs through a single gene therapy session.Although the same team achieved years ago a similar mileThe UAB and director of the Center for Animal Biotechnology and gene therapy (CBATEG), on the Bellaterra campus.

Four years after diabetic dogs - with the non -operational pancreas - the viral vector with curators, animals are in perfect condition, run normally and do not need insulin injections.They do not have any side effect, even on weight.

With caution, however, Bosch recalled that "these processes are slow, in addition to expensive", and that many essays "will be necessary before trying it in humans."In fact, the goal is now to reproduce the experiment, which has been carried out with five Beagle dogs, with other races and then with pigs.

The therapy "is very little invasive," says the UAB professor.It consists of a single session of several injections in the muscle of the hind legs of the animal through simple needles, similar to those used in aesthetics treatments.With these injections, vectors are introduced into the muscle, specifically inert viruses to which two specific genes have been introduced, which will then be responsible for the expansion of gene therapy by the legs.

introduction of two genes
The therapy has a double objective: to express the insulin gene, on the one hand, and that of glycoquinase, on the other.Glucoquinase, an enzyme, acts as a regulator of blood glucose collection.When both genes act simultaneously they function of a "glucose sensor", achieving an automatic regulation of blood glucose collection and thus reducing diabetic hyperglycemia (excess glucose associated with the disease).That is, as if the pancreas worked correctly.

So far multiple clinical trials with similar vectors have been carried out, called adenasociated (AAV), directly administered in the skeletal muscle for the treatment of other diseases, "so the strategy described in this work can be transferred to the clinic", the UAB concludes.

The research participated in the research, in various departments of the UAB, of the Cyber ​​Network of Metabolic Diseases, of Children 's Hospital of Philadelphia (USA) and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute of Philadelphia (USA).

Antonio Madridejos / Bellaterra
The newspaper http: //www.elperiodico.com/es/news/science/researchers-ub-curan-diabetes-type-perros-2312872

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/08/2013 1:43 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

This is a dream ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/08/2013 4:46 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I wish!!...

yaitome's profile photo
yaitome
02/08/2013 7:32 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Excellent news !!

Greetings to the forum.

olmo's profile photo
olmo
02/08/2013 9:07 a.m.

It is excellent news, what I do not understand is this:

Bosch recalled that "these processes are slow, in addition to expensive", and that many essays "will be necessary before trying it in humans."In fact, the goal is now to reproduce the experiment, which has been carried out with five beagle dog dogs, with other races and then with pigs.

Does anyone understand why it has taken 4 years to publish it and now they say they will go to another dog breed, and then will they go with the pigs?: Shock: Are there no patients already fucked up for the disease who would give anything to participate in an essay that is being so promising?

Also that the technique seems quite secilla.It gives the feeling that if I had interested it could have been done at the same time that the first insulin made by recombinant DNA about 30 years ago.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/09/2013 4:23 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Scientific Method:

In all research follows, in serious investigations I mean.

The Beagle dog race is the one that is usually used in all experiments, rather ... the one that is usually in all laboratories.
It is a small and very passive nature

Different animals are sought because within the process called scientific method, the results must be replicated in different situations and models.
That includes different animals because they differentiate their genetics, their physiology and even their behavior.

The "gene therapy" phrase should make reflect and not throw the bells on the flight.
And much less look for ghosts where there are no ... by the way, in an investigation of a public entity, unfortunately (I suppose).

Genetics greatly affects humans but still does the proteom more.
Proteins are those that meet gene orders.
The human genome project is finished, they have managed to sequence.
The Human Proteoma project is still investigating.

Are there 100% of coincidences between the genome of a dog and a human?
No
If we go down to protein level, differentiation will probably be even greater.

Why is the process slow?
I always put the same example.Bernat Soria obtained bright results, healed mice, for 2 weeks were perfect ... at 6 weeks all mice died due to abundant neoplasms.

1 Minimum modification of the complete process of the experiment, is months of work to re -measure and check results.
I think this is easily understood.

It's okay to use evicted patients for research.
It happens that it is prohibited.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/09/2013 6:17 a.m.

Very good news.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/09/2013 9:09 a.m.

Hello good
I am a research student at the UAB, although my research project is of neuroscience, I know a lot of genic therapy and my master's coordinator is the chief researcher of this research group that has cured diabetes in dogs.And I can say that it has been a great joy to see that the results agree to the expected, and that they publish it in a good magazine hehehe
Just say that this research has been carried out in dogs due to the size of the animal, since genic therapy has a problem and it is that the larger size of the subject it is possible that the necessary doses are larger and/or that it has no effect, apartThat by immune response issues the transfected gene through a viral vector (in this case AAV2) loses its function and is of no use, in addition to many other things that I will not say for not boring.
The advance is very large, and we must not forget it, but there are still many problems to solve until reaching humans, for example that the vector used to introduce the insulin gene and in this study another gene more, it is AAV a virus thatIt does not cause human damage (which is why it is used) but for which we all have antibodies against it, and this can lead to when the therapy is applied not to any result.In addition, this virus gives the chance that we all have an immune response, that is, we are protected against him, because in childhood we have contact with this and we immunize ... how we come into contact with this direis, because it is a virus that this thisIn the dog and animal cats that the virus uses as host, since the dog does not develop reaction against it.This is why dogs have also been used to see if genic therapy would be useful by discarding a possible immune reaction, seeing that therapy is effective then strategies can be studied to introduce the virus (vector) to make its function,without body defenses annoying therapy.
Another important thing is that if there are people investing the cure for diabetes or are associations or public institutions.So from here I encourage donations that can be associated (of diabetes, cancer, etc.) because if we want to see a cure it has to pass many stages, including clinical phases (4) and I am sure that no pharmaceuticals (which is normally the only one that has enough money to bring an investigation to its clinical phases, since it is the keyst phase and expensive on many occasions) will pay to get the cure of the diabetes, they will only take out powerful associations that canLoad with all those expenses ... or that is my opinion and I hope to be wrong.

Finally I sincerely believe that the cure of diabetes will arrive, because we are lucky that it is a very widespread and therefore very investigated disease;Unfortunately it is but the case of people with rare or not so rare diseases, who are barely allocated resources to investigate in them and for those who may not be so complicated to find a cure ...

ray-ban's profile photo
ray-ban
02/09/2013 1:28 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.