{'en': 'Calculate insulin sensitivity factor (FSI)', 'es': 'Calcular el Factor de Sensibilidad de la Insulina (FSI)'} Image

Calculate insulin sensitivity factor (FSI)

KSanchez's profile photo   02/15/2013 8:47 p.m.

Hello good,

I wanted to know how to calculate my FSI (insulin sensitivity factor).

Use lantus 20 units when bed and humalog, 4-10 units depending on glycemia ...

-70 no
70-140 4UI
140-200 5UI
200-250 6UI
250-300 7UI
300-350 8UI
350-400 9UI
+400 10ui

KSanchez's profile photo
KSanchez
02/15/2013 8:47 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The sensitivity factor is what lowers an insulin unit.Due to the data you have, it seems that 1 unit lowers you 50.

The way to calculate it (although it is only an approximation) is to divide 1600 between the total insulin units a day (slow and fast) for example if you get 20 of Lantus and Humalog in total 10 (before meals) it comes out 53.Rounding 50 and that would mean that you lower a unit.

tica's profile photo
tica
02/16/2013 7:49 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

TICA, I understand that 1800 is used when ultra -granted insulin is used, 1500 when regular insulin is used and 1700 for pediatrics are recommended.

But come on, it's like HC rations.
Some count on 15 gr and others over 10gr.
In the end you have to adjust because as you say is just an approach

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/16/2013 3:41 p.m.

Kánchez, that table cannot be the same at breakfast as at food or dinner.Humalog units depend on the rations you eat.

Another thing is that, to correct a hyperglycemia, you put a Humalog unit for every 50 of glucose in excess.If a Humalog unit lows 50 glucose, your sensitivity index will be 50.
The best thing to calculate that index is to check it with the glucometer ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/16/2013 6:06 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Owash, because no idea.I think that during pregnancy they told me 1600 but I am still lying ...

tica's profile photo
tica
02/17/2013 12:34 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

I would like to know my daughter's sensitivity factor, but I really don't know how to calculate it.According to you, 1700 would have to divide between all the daily doses, the case that the only fixed dose it has now is the 14 of Lantus, those of Humalog vary every day, depending on whether it has training, competition, pool ......Come on in a girl who does not for a second, it is difficult to know the amount of insulin and every day is different.But I would like to know, since for example yesterday I had programmed training in the afternoon and not punctured insulin in the snack, but in the end he could not do it and had no idea what amount click him, the luck is that he had quite good levels.... but I suppose it will not always be like that and one day we will have to rectify ...

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
08/07/2015 10:06 a.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

@Rociollinares The calculation can vary up to 2200 divisions, there are several issues in which this has been discussed, I recommend that you read:

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
08/07/2015 10:41 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You can also put a fast unit when 2002, and measure at two hours.
And so you know how much can go down with a unit.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/07/2015 7:26 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

I would also do what @regina says although I would also like to contribute that the sensitivity factor can change throughout the day so it is something to take into account.For example, for the Magnana 1, the glucose lowers me less than in the afternoon or at night.

Inday's profile photo
Inday
08/07/2015 8:32 p.m.

Normally insulin resistance in the morning is a bit larger.What Regina says, seems to me the best and simpler.But I would do it tomorrow and afternoon to compare insulin resistance.And for several days.

Make sure you have no fast trace on the body, that the Lantus is with effect (not ending) and that you have not eaten something two hours ago that may still be uploading glucose.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
08/07/2015 9:22 p.m.

Hello, today we have done the test.Today is a party, we have eaten away from home, we have tried to calculate the HC, what we believed right has been punctured.Upon arriving home he was in 205 and an extra has been punctured, when he saw again it was even higher and one more.According to our calculations, a unit lowers between 50 and 60 glucose, we have no idea that we have done wrong.

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
08/10/2015 7:09 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

Meals away from home are usually longer and have more fat, and go up later, so what happened is not unusual, even if it is well calculated.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/10/2015 7:41 p.m.

I agree with @regina in fat.Fat at meals causes considerable insulin resistance 3 or 4 hours later.The best thing when you eat out of home is to be aware of glycemia and go correcting according to

Inday's profile photo
Inday
08/10/2015 8:42 p.m.

Let's see, I have a doubt, the sensitivity factor I have read that for the rapid it is calculated with the 1500 rule.
That you add the lantus and the rapid and divides and such.
But to see, how to calculate the rapid of the whole day, if according to what I eat I wear more or less?
Another way I know is to click on a unit when it is stable and see what goes down.But I wanted to know the rule as you do, how many HC is based on meals to make that account.

BanHop's profile photo
BanHop
03/07/2017 11:10 a.m.

Normally like the same portions.If you get 6-6-2 plus 24 of slow it would be 38. If another day you increase 7-8-3 plus 24 it would be 35. The difference is minimal and serves to orient.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
03/07/2017 1:34 p.m.

Yes, the account is orientative one quickly usually lowers 50 glucose., But you have to try it when you are high.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/07/2017 9:17 p.m.

anaisabel said:
normally as the same portions.If you get 6-6-2 plus 24 of slow it would be 38. If another day you increase 7-8-3 plus 24 it would be 35. The difference is minimal and serves to orient.

Already, I at breakfast if you almost always breakfast breakfast, but eat and dinner, because one day I can put on 2 and another 6 (according to what you eat), that's why I asked.But come on, then I get around 40. Thank you

BanHop's profile photo
BanHop
03/08/2017 8:32 a.m.

banhop said:
to see, I have a doubt, the sensitivity factor I have read that for the rapid it is calculated with the 1500 rule.
That you add the lantus and the rapid and divides and such.
But to see, how to calculate the rapid of the whole day, if according to what I eat I wear more or less?
Another way I know is to click on a unit when it is stable and see what goes down.But I wanted to know the rule as you do, how many HC is based on meals to make that account.

I calculate it with 1800/total you.This is how you comment, for me it is a somewhat strange calculation, just like the body does not have the same sensitivity all day, it is the same as you put insulin sleeping that you do nothing that you wake up walking?The FSI is something very generic that I do not take to the letter.Get a number and you are seeing your up or down, taking into account that to know a good value you should not have bolus insulin (fast food) working.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
03/08/2017 9:24 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Good to all, this is my first comment in the forum, I hope to help!
The first, the concept of sensitivity factor.This means, 1 insulin unit, how much blood glucose will lower me without carbohydrates in between.It is a tool to make corrections, whether pre or postprandial.Eg if with 1 unit I lower 50 and I am 200;I will need 2 IU to be 100. To adjust insulin to carbohydrates we use another tool, the ins /ch ratio

Now a review of how to calculate it
1. Several of you recommend calculate the FS using the 1600 rule (it would be for fast human) and the 1800 (it would be for ultra -granted anologists, the usual ones in DM1).These rules (you total/1600 or you total/1800), are to make the initial calculation when we are blind and we have no data. but it will always be better to calculate it based on the experience .Eye, experience means having "objective data", "not in my subjective experience."

2.How to calculate it: I ask my patients for a minimum of 2 weeks of intensive control.This includes:
a) Very fine count of hydrates (Best usual meals than meals away from home or "extras") and record it!
b) glycemias pre and 2h post of all meals, even some extra (pre -sleep, nocturnal, etc.) and record it!
c) usual physical activity and schedules;That is, during these two weeks, we need calculations to work in our daily routine, therefore we have to obtain them during the daily routine.It is not a good time to monitor all this on vacation, parties, meals out, etc.
c) As always in diabetes, essay and error !Value the data and see if we have done well !!!

Eg.
PRE 180 GLUCEMY -& GT;Ins by carbohydrates + 1ui per fs -& GT;2hpost = 100 -& GT;Perfect, your FS is 1UI/80 glycemia
PRE 180 GLUCEMY -& GT;Ins by carbohydrates + 1ui per fs -& GT;2hpost = 140 -& GT;Your FS is 1UI/40
PRE 180 GLUCEMY -& GT;Ins by carbohydrates + 1ui per fs -& GT;2h post = 80 -& GT;Your FS is 1UI/100
From here, we must test fs higher or lower depending on the results.Remember that you can have a FS every hour of the day.(Typical for example that it is more weak if you are going to exercise later) and that it is stronger if you are going on the couch)

To take into account:
* We must follow patterns, since so many factors influence each meal, that we cannot guide ourselves only by one;"Minimum 2 weeks of habitual life"
* For the examples I have taken into account that carbohydrate insulin was well calculated!If it is poorly calculated or we do not know, the above does not help us.I remember that the INS by carbohydrates we adjust through the INS/CH ratio, this is how many insulin units I need for each ration.A trick that I love: if your pre -glycemia is optimal, and you put a certain amount of insulin using the INS/CH ratio, your post blood glucose will depend exclusively on the ratio and you can know if it was wrong or well, since you did not need correction.Of course, this is only true if you have told the rations of hydrates well.
*All this is advanced diabetology very difficult to explain in writing and requires help from a professional team.

All the best!!!!

Antonio Mas's profile photo
Antonio Mas
03/08/2017 12:44 p.m.

Dr. Antonio Mas
Esp. en Endocrinología y Nutrición
🔗masendocrino.com
Dime 👋en Twitter

Thank you all for the explanations.

I do not know if the insulin that manages before eating is fast or ultra -grape, it is novorapid, do you know what class it is ... please?

You also say that to do the test, the rapid insulin should not be doing effect, but 1st, I punish it before each meal, and I do not know how long it is taking effect, and I do not know at what time of the day the do theprick 1 unit being high, and 2 h later measure to see how much it has dropped, taking into account that I shed quickly (or ultra -grape, I do not know:/) 3 times a day, and that there are no hydrates forhalf, that is, I have to have eaten, nor do I have to eat ...

I know that I look like an idiot, I am aware ... Maybe it is ... but I really do not clarify and I am not sure to be able to clarify one day and control how you do.I am a calamity ... It is also true that I have other health problems in addition to this, that do not help me, on the contrary, my anxiety is tremendous, I do not know how I will continue or how I will end, and my head does not give more for more,It explodes at times and diabetes has been the drop that has filled the glass.

Sorry and thanks for your patience.

Emily's profile photo
Emily
07/06/2017 3 p.m.

Diabetes post quirúrgica desde el 02/03/17, Toujeo, Novorapid, y ahora también metformina después de las comidas.
Freestylelibre 2 desde mediados de diciembre 2021, que me lleva loca.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.