New, with metformin

evadg's profile photo   04/08/2013 6:27 a.m.

Hello everyone

New in this, I already put a post on the questions forum.
I tell you: 48 years, some overweight, and 149 on an empty stomach.With diet I have lowered, but very little, the least I had on an empty stomach has been 124. My grandmother and my mother were diabetic type 2. My sister is.And I had gestational diabetes 14 years ago.

Today I have gone to the header, and he has prescribed metformin, 850, average with breakfast, half with food.Thursday (within 3 days) I have to go to me and so on.They have also told me that the reactive strips will not be able to give them to me, they are only for insulin patients.So to spend, because I want to continue measuring me.It will not be as serious as type 1 patients, but it's my diabetes ....

I have read the prospect, and I see that there are a lot of possible side effects ... Anyway, what a roll.

And I will continue with the diet, although they have not yet told me that yes or that no .... to see if I get me to send me an endocrine.

Any recommendation?

Thank you

evadg's profile photo
evadg
04/08/2013 6:27 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

They should give you reactive strips only at the beginning, as a reinforcement of the learning they should give you ... but of course, if there is not even education.

Your glycemia will barely vary, metformin does not produce hypoglycemia.
Maybe it would be good that you had a strips box in case you have a large climb, but I wouldn't do daily controls.
If you prefer to monitor how your glycemia is going, you better invest the money in making a glycosylated hemoglobin every 3 months ... If your head doctor does not want to do it so often, look for a private laboratory and every 3 months you do 1 for youraccount.
It is better indicator than glycemia

Side effects especially come through nausea, but theory after the first days they disappear.

Regarding the diet, you have to completely eliminate everything that carries rapid carbohydrates: all kinds of bowl, sugary sodas ... and control the fruit (1 piece per food is sufficient), also control the amounts of pasta, rice, rice,flours and milk ...

A link:

And if you get 1 hour to walk every day you will have won a lot ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/08/2013 8:08 a.m.

Thanks, Owash

I try to walk an hour every day, I have proposed it.And I am watching the hydrates, although they have not told me anything.
I will get HEMO, I would like to get it.Anyway, on Thursday I will see the nurse and again the doctor.If hypoglycemia are not produced, it reassures me a lot, because I remember my mother's and it is the fear I had.

I will tell you.Thank you

evadg's profile photo
evadg
04/08/2013 9:37 a.m.

Welcome to the forum.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/08/2013 10:59 a.m.

Thank you very much, Maikel !!

evadg's profile photo
evadg
04/08/2013 11:20 a.m.

Well, I have been with the nurse today, my hemo is 7.9.
And in the end they have given me a little machine and strips, not many, but something is something.And they have put a diet, and little metformin (average of 850 in the morning and a half at noon).Exercise, of course, and in a month I have to return.

So that ... to try to take it as well as possible.

evadg's profile photo
evadg
04/11/2013 7:51 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.