I am Susana, new in the forum.

Susana's profile photo   04/17/2013 1:31 p.m.

Good afternoon to everyone.My name is Susana.My father has been diabetic for two years because of pancreatitis.
It has many problems.In 1987 he was diagnosed with larynx cancer and has been laryngeztomized since then.But apart from that he has two hip prostheses since 2000, worn out therefore.
In 2010 he managed to overcome severe acute pancreatitis, which necrossed 70% of the pancreas.Diabetes obviously arrived, after a year.
It is click 2 times a day and although it does not drink any alcohol (totally prohibited of course) the man is atiborra to sweets.Every night they put on red eyes, I imagine that as a result of sugar.He says that the cookies he takes are without sugar, but I don't know if he will serve the diabetics and today he didn't want to get out of bed because he said he was tired.I don't know what a diabetic coma is or otherwise.I don't know how to proceed in either case.I do not know the symptoms to realize.
I am very worried.
I would like to know more about this, that's why I go to the forum.
Greetings!!!!

Susana's profile photo
Susana
04/17/2013 1:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the Susana Forum.
I imagine that it must be very hard to take care of such a father, and the great two of patience to have.
As you tell us, your father as enough sweets, the red eyes will be what sugar has the clouds.
But what doctors have not explained anything? .. Do you do the controls?

Some of the coma symptoms, those who have told me, the main loss of consciousness, tremors, cold sweats, in the face of the slightest doubt react quickly, I leave you a link where it shows how to inject glucagon

Greetings Susana

olmo's profile photo
olmo
04/17/2013 5:37 p.m.

Welcome to the forum

I don't think red eyes are related to diabetes ... unless it has a spill, a glaucoma, but it would hurt enough ...
Maybe it is only conjunctivitis (allergy) ... but if the symptom persists several days, you should consult the ophthalmologist.

A diabetic coma can go through hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia.
So you tell, the case of your father (and that of almost all) the problem is that of hyperglycemia.

Hyperglycemia maintained in time can cause ketoacidosis (a kind of toxic combustion of the fat performed by the body itself), a ketosis that is not put remedy ends in a coma due to ketoacidosis.
A very striking symptom of ketosis is the smell and breath to apple ...

From what you describe, you should go to the doctor as soon as possible and get out of doubt.

Regarding sugar -free cookies, it is true that they do not have sugar but are not free consumption, as they contain carbohydrates will rise glycemia.

The glucagon that Olmo has linked, serves only for cases of coma by hypoglycemia (low sugar) ... in cases of coma due to hyperglycemia or ketoacidosis would not be declined to inject it.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/17/2013 5:45 p.m.

Hi Susana, welcome to the forum.
Hard situation you have to have and more when such a close relative ignores what is told.
I cannot help you at all, since just a few days ago I have debuted with this disease, but what I can tell you is that what your father is doing is not normal, knowing that he has blood sugar is to put moreamount.
I really don't know what to tell you, just give you a very big greeting.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/17/2013 5:49 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.