Active insulin (medtronic insulin bomb)

kekiya's profile photo   05/25/2011 5:11 a.m.

I have a little doubt, let's see if you can throw a cable. What is a bullshit, but hey, I ask if you can guide me.
Many times, at a meal, or a dinner, I put my insulin bolus, at 2 h.I make my test on my finger and up there, so normal. On other occasions, doing the same procedure, I proceed to do my test on my finger, and I see even in the bomb, past 2 hours of having eaten or dinner, which putsOn the screen: Active insulin 0.85 (for example, for putting a figure). And I say, how strange, after 2 hours and peak I still have active insulin ... and nothing, I do my test and play !!!A 200 and peak !!!And there begins my dilemma: I put a bolus even knowing what it says I have an active ins?I leave the figure as is and I hope I act that 0.85?It usually happens to you?

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
05/25/2011 5:11 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

That depends on each one.
In the bomb you had to put how much insulin lasts (Humalog, Novorapid or Apidra) I don't know which one you use.I use Apidra and it lasts for more than 4 hours so when I measure me after meals I always have an active insulin and enough that I correct depending on what I have eaten, of the active insulin and whether I am going to exercise or not.
Come on, I don't know if I have helped you:-/
You will have to test but it is important to know the amount of insulin that still remains of the bolus, it is an approach.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/25/2011 5:19 a.m.

A certain meadow, mine failure.I use Humalog.
The nurse tells me that it usually lasts 2 hours. And there are days to do the same, because that, 2h then I have no insulin, and from time to time (not always) puts: 0.85 (or whatever) active insulinAnd I don't know why it's ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
05/25/2011 5:45 a.m.

KEKIYA Ultra -granted insulins have a duration of 3 hours, that says the theory, but each one is different, so you must try and if it lasts two hours as the nurse tells you the programs in the bomb.Logically it depends on the amount of bolus so that at two hours you have more or less active insulin.

DiabetesForo
05/25/2011 5:54 a.m.

Good morning, apologize in advance for the extensive of my comment.

I have been diabetic for 18 years, I have not been a patient model during these years because for work I have a little messy schedules and I have had good and bad moments.

In my last review a month ago the oculista has detected a retinopathy principle (which has me a bit /very worried:?).I have the visit with the endocrine this Friday and I have been making profiles all month, of course my blood glucose is high (last glyc 9,1).

I have read your comments about the pumps with continuous blood glucose meters and I think it could be a good solution to control my blood glucose, but certain doubts assault me ​​that I would like if you were so kind, you clarify me.

What limitations cause this device?What is the size?

What sports can you not do?Can you get wet?

Can it be removed to perform an activity, and put it again?In case this procedure can be easy?(Possibly the question is nonsense, but I don't know how the body is placed)

Is it comfortable at bedtime?

What is the process for your first placement?

Thank you for your time, and if I have not managed to get bored you I hope someone answers me.All the best

TATO's profile photo
TATO
05/25/2011 8:24 a.m.

Diagnóstico DM1 - 1993
Tandem t: slim X2 - 2019, Novo Rapid
Dexcom G5 - 2017
Última glicosilada 6,5

Hi Tato, Welcome !!

I recommend that you read all the threads in this pump section, there all your questions are answered.
What I do want to clarify is that the pump alone does not solve anything, a great involvement is needed, if you do not put on your part you will remain as uncontrolled.
Answering some of your questions, I do not imply any limitation to carry the pump, quite the opposite, it cannot be wet, it is disconnected to shower and for whatever you want, the process of very simple.
It has to be your endocrine who proposes the bomb and they will usually give you a course to know the diet for portions and to learn to handle it but its handling is very simple.The continuous meter is already another song because social security does not subsidize it except exceptional cases.

DiabetesForo
05/25/2011 11:16 a.m.

Thanks for your answers, I have read the Medtronic website in which they talk about the Minimed Paradigm I see model, and I have resolved enough of my doubts about what the device is physically.In reference to the topic that you tell me about the diet, you think it is more work (one of my problems is that for my work I do not have a fixed food schedule).
Thanks in advance.

TATO's profile photo
TATO
05/25/2011 noon

Diagnóstico DM1 - 1993
Tandem t: slim X2 - 2019, Novo Rapid
Dexcom G5 - 2017
Última glicosilada 6,5

Hi Kekiya, as Prado has told you what the bomb tells you depending on how you have the programming of the Wizard Bolus where you can put what you want it to be the active insulin and in function of that time then the bomb calculates throughout thattime insul.That you have active in case you want to put a corrector bolus, or you are going to put another bolu because you go to eat something ... with what asks your endo the time that you last to you, I insulina the I have is HumalogAnd I have 2h.all the best

jorss's profile photo
jorss
06/10/2011 8:09 a.m.

The truth is that with that I still have a little mess ... but hey, I will ask the endo.es as if for example, one day, having breakfast the same, I wear a normal bolus (neither wizard nor square norNothing), and one day I have 2 hours after breakfast, normal figures, and another day, puts me: active insulin 1.05, and then I have a 200 and peak ..... I don't understand ...
I think I have 2h of duration too ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
06/10/2011 9:02 a.m.

Hi: The same thing happens to me.Although he puts me insulin at 2 hours, he doesn't lower me anymore.That is why when I correct after a trade I get more than what the bomb tells me because the insulin actic is as if it did not take effect.I put Apidra and although the endocrine told me that it lasted 4 hours, I changed it to 3h.
I hope I have helped.All the best.

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
08/05/2011 7:55 p.m.

Well here I continue with the dilemma of active insulin. The story:
Last night I had a piece of salad and a Russian steak. Well, I put my insulin and nothing, at 2 hours I do my test and I have 116, but it tells me that I have an active insulin 1.65.Well, well, as that is a hypoglycemiaSafe .... To avoid rebounding effect, I decide to take a zumito. Well, I get up this morning, I'm going to make my test ... and cross out !!! 275 ... !!!!: Shock :: Shock :: Shock:
What is it due?What have I done wrong?was the juice insufficient?The basal is low ??? He gave me a bouncing equally ???I carry several days, getting up high, and I can't stabilize that time slot no matter how much the basal up ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
08/10/2011 6:13 a.m.

hello good!I have that same Kekiya dilemma ... does things a month and a half that I have the bomb, and a few days ago that the active insulin mesage has me somewhat bewildered ... Have you found out something else?
I think I'm going to start scoring everything in detail to show it to the endo, because it changed the basal, in the morning, most of the days I lift myself up ...:-((((((((

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
09/02/2013 6:33 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Keep in mind that 1 insulin unit is not the same half an hour to put on the bolus, than at 3 hours.
Let's say that the power of insulin is decreasing as time passes, it is a curve that begins at 15 minutes, at the time makes its maximum peak of action and ends at 3 hours or so.

What I do is that when it passes from 2 and a half after the Bolus I consider 50% of the active insulin as real.And calculate from there if I need more insulin or HC contribution.

What happened to Kekiya has happened to everyone.
You think that almost 2 units will make you go down to a hiccup, but in reality the power of insulin is already in its final phase and has less hypoglycemic power.

In addition, we must take into account the food we have made, which sometimes takes longer to metabolize than insulin itself.

The duration of active insulin can be modified in the pump.In the Bolus section, configuration.
It is predetermined in 6 hours, but it is normal to put it in 3 and if you want to be very demanding in 2
When you use the Wizard Bolus, the system takes into account active insulin and subtracts the active insulin of the new Bolus you want to put on.

Check the manual explained there.

DiabetesForo
09/04/2013 4:54 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.