Babies, breastfeeding, cereals and type 1 diabetes

tica's profile photo   07/03/2013 3:50 a.m.

There are two main articles on the subject (in English)

Norris JM, Karriga K, Klingensmith G, Hoffman M, Eisenbarth GS, Erlich Ha, Reweers M. Link
Timing of Initial Cereal Exhibition in Infancy and Risk of Islet Autoimmune.Jama.2003 Oct 1;290 (13): 1713-20.

Ziegler Ag, Schmid S, Huber D, Hummel M, Bonifacio E. Early Infant Feeding and Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes-Associated Autoantibodies. Link Jama.2003 Oct 1;290 (13): 1721-8.

- Both use risk patients
- Both find a correlation between giving cereals (talk about rice and wheat) before 3 months and type 1 diabetes
- Only the first finds relationship between cereals for the first time from 7 months and diabetes, the second takes 6 months as a basis and is not related
- Neither of them speaks of breastfeeding

About breastfeeding ..., breastfeeding can be extended

The adjusted hazard ratios were Higher for the 1 to 3 months and the 7 months or Older Groups whether fed rice or gluten-countsing cereals.However If Cereals were Introduced While The Child Was Still Breastfeeding the Risk of Islet Autoimmunity was reduced and This Reduction Was Independent of the Child’s Age at Initial Cereal Exhibition.

An explanation is that children need to introduce food gradually ...

"It may be that the immune system, Even in Older Babies, you require gradual introduction of foods, and that introducing much of particular Food at One Time presentation to Problem," Norris Says.

“It is Clear That (These Studies) do not present suffficient evidence to suggest that‘ infant cereal causes Diabetes, ’and Hopefullly Will not be my interpreted as Such By Parents and the public,” They Wrote.

Atkinson Tells Webmd That Even After Two Decades of Research, The Environmental Trigger or Triggers for Type 1 Diabetes Remain Unidentified.

"I Think these studies do put cereal at or near the top of the list of potential triggers, but we still have to look for other agents," Hery."I feel for the families of these Children Becouse Every Few Years there is a new idea about What Causes Type 1 Diabetes, And, So Far, None of Them Has Been Deequate [To Be a Cause]."

tica's profile photo
tica
07/03/2013 3:50 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

I keep the ethical articles.
Very interesting.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/11/2013 4:04 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.