Charlie Kimball, first insulin -dependent diabetic that wins an Indy test

cabronias's profile photo   08/05/2013 1:45 p.m.

Link

cabronias's profile photo
cabronias
08/05/2013 1:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

According to them, the sugar is measured about 12 times before each race and controls the sugar from boxes, with an unchanged continuous meter inserted in the arm.Drinking fruit juices when they communicate that it is low.

Finally, an athlete who tells how he does and not as the majority who say nothing they do, showing that nothing happens and that any diabetic could do the same quietly.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/06/2013 1:32 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

He carries a Dexcom, and the meter monitor takes him next to the accounting and can see the trend he carries all the time.From Boxes they do not monitor him.The 12 times that is measured must be the Dexcom calibrations.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/06/2013 3:06 a.m.

I carry the Dexcom G4 and 12 calibrations seems to me a barbarity, usually it is only necessary to do 2 controls a day with glucose meter, one in the morning and another at night, the rest of the time, the dexcom gives you every 5 minutes theglucose level, the trend, etc ...

Now some of you do that I use it, and I am delighted, this is the ease of control!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
08/06/2013 9 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

My diagnosed daughter type 1 diabetes a month ago.Until then towards competition.The doctors encourage him to continue but I really are afraid of how to control his sugar, how to act before practicing his déporté.I need advice. !!

cristinusky's profile photo
cristinusky
08/06/2013 1:07 p.m.

I would encourage him to follow, but the debut will be much harder because he will have to give up a very important part.The first thing I would do would be to ask for the insulin bomb. What sport does it do?

tica's profile photo
tica
08/06/2013 1:31 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Gimasia rhythmic does. She wants to continue in all costs since she has been practicing it since the age of six and since the nine in competition.It is part of your daily routine.They have not told us anything about the insulin bomb, only that the day before the Insulins down 10 or 15%.The problem is that I pay attention every day

cristinusky's profile photo
cristinusky
08/06/2013 7:43 p.m.

Do not think about it, insulin pump and continuous glucose meter;It is expensive but it gives you independence and very high stability.I carry the bomb since 2008, and the Dexcom since 2010, I work in shifts (entering every day at a different hour), my glycemia profile only exceeds another person from the hospital group where they take me, and so fromThat he debuts in 1992, without complications but without lowering his guard, and the latter is the stage where I carry best metabolic control.It costs me a paston a year but I can lead an almost normal life ... I would not think about it, also practicing competition sport it is possible that the company that manufactures can sponsor you to propaganda.Try it that you don't already have it.I encourage and for all.All the best.

Vidalete's profile photo
Vidalete
08/09/2013 9:12 a.m.

Look for advertising if you can be lucky ...

cabronias's profile photo
cabronias
08/10/2013 4:25 p.m.

It is no impediment for someone who performs a continuous sport every day.It is not that you forget the diabetes, but you do almost forget that it is a handicap with respect to others.Last year I competed again in cycling as I was younger.In 5 months of hard training I put myself very in shape, as I was not in years ago.Then, throughout the year and without too much effort, I made about 15 thousand kilometers and stages of up to 6 hours and more.I got to forget that I had to eat and, sometimes, reaching the base of some mountain port measured me running without even having to stop, ate some glucose or bars and climb the port.All this at a great level.The races that I ran did not spend much of 2 hours and the levels were perfect, the more the more races and the more controlled the expense.In those two hours I didn't even measure glucose.I learned that curriculum during training and exits with groups that do not give rest from beginning to end.

In the team they proposed to return some elite race, but those are already more than 140 km, 4 to 5 hours and sometimes 3 or 4 very hard ports.It was perfectly possible, but I had not trained it, it was for now and it would have had to turn to the team of the team to measure me every so often.The question was that we expected a child at that time and other harder and more rewarding stages of life, both effort and training were waiting for me, because the bicycle will no longer feed me.

A year later and doing almost every day of the babysitter I am not so in a way but it will never scare me to face any physical activity.The most difficult at the beginning ... adjust slow insulin.Of 30 units passed to 8 daily.The rapid also reduces to less than half.

JoseManuel's profile photo
JoseManuel
08/13/2013 6:27 a.m.

I write all this tocho so that no one considers that a child will be less than the others in any sport.Surely a day arrives that everyone who wins will think is so strong because insulin serves as dopping.In fact, you have to request, at least cycling, an aut (authorization for therapeutic use) to the Higher Sports Council and well used helps a lot.

JoseManuel
08/13/2013 6:36 a.m.

Josemanuel said:
It is no impediment for someone who performs a continuous sport every day.It is not that you forget the diabetes, but you do almost forget that it is a handicap with respect to others.Last year I competed again in cycling as I was younger.In 5 months of hard training I put myself very in shape, as I was not in years ago.Then, throughout the year and without too much effort, I made about 15 thousand kilometers and stages of up to 6 hours and more.I got to forget that I had to eat and, sometimes, reaching the base of some mountain port measured me running without even having to stop, ate some glucose or bars and climb the port.All this at a great level.The races that I ran did not spend much of 2 hours and the levels were perfect, the more the more races and the more controlled the expense.In those two hours I didn't even measure glucose.I learned that curriculum during training and exits with groups that do not give rest from beginning to end.

In the team they proposed to return some elite race, but those are already more than 140 km, 4 to 5 hours and sometimes 3 or 4 very hard ports.It was perfectly possible, but I had not trained it, it was for now and it would have had to turn to the team of the team to measure me every so often.The question was that we expected a child at that time and other harder and more rewarding stages of life, both effort and training were waiting for me, because the bicycle will no longer feed me.

A year later and doing almost every day of the babysitter I am not so in a way but it will never scare me to face any physical activity.The most difficult at the beginning ... adjust slow insulin.Of 30 units passed to 8 daily.The rapid also reduces to less than half.

Did you go from putting 30 basal units (Lantus type) to just 8?Is it a lot, right?I, although at much more modest levels, of putting 29 every day, I spend 27 the day I run (about an hour)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/13/2013 7:21 a.m.

Then I used Lantus, yes.The change was not immediate, I went down little by little.If so, I could not even pedal 1 hour in a row without accentuated glucose descents.They were also the right units to go to bed and get up on the same values.If towards several days of rest I had to go up 2 units every day of the activity.Today doing less activity I have to vary from 20 to 30 units depending on how long the salt are.I also have to say that since it is not regular, exercise is very complicated to regulate.

JoseManuel
08/13/2013 9:33 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.