Diabetes and Dental Health

fer's profile photo   08/12/2013 7:54 a.m.

Badly controlled diabetes can cause decreased bone support that support teeth as well as gum infections, leading the patient to lose dental pieces more easily.

The stomatologist of the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS) in Jalisco, Arturo Javier Almaguer Carrillo, explained that there are substances in the body called cytosine who, in non -controlled diabetic patients, increase the level of inflammation of the gums.

This situation, he said, produces gingivitis and periodontal disease, a condition that damages the bone and root of the tooth, favoring its loss, and that is a very frequent diagnosis in diabetic people.

"It is characterized by inflammation and redness of the gums, which can even bleed, thus favoring the fall of dental pieces and halitosis or bad breath, nine out of 10 not controlled diabetics, they will suffer from teeth loss,"He said.

He explained that the excess circulating sugar in blood facilitates the proliferation of bacteria, especially in the mouth where food remains accumulate that, not withdrawing with adequate cleaning, form colonies of these microorganisms that cause infections from slight to serious.

He indicated that four out of 10 diabetic patients who come with the dentist, do not know the importance of good control of their illness to avoid risks such as the aforementioned infections, but in addition to bleeding, because among the multiple repercussions of diabetes,There is also poor coagulation.

This is especially important because among the most common dental procedures in diabetic patients are parts extractions, which can cause increased risk of abundant bleeding in these people.

"If there is control in the patient, take your medications and an adequate diet, it reduces the risk to infections and loss of dental parts" and also in the event of an eventual surgical procedure, the probability of hemorrhages will be reduced, he said.

He said that adequate preventive dental care contributes to oral health and this in turn facilitates balanced nutrition, which favors better diabetes control and the prevention of acute and chronic complications of this metabolic disease.

Similarly, an adequate toothbusDiabetics, reduce the risk to develop infections in the oral cavity, he said.

fer's profile photo
fer
08/12/2013 7:54 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Ains ... I attest to it ... for my bad control during adolescence, now I have periodontitis ... you clean every two by three, because they don't have so much gum, bacteria get everywhere ... something thatOf course I could have avoided me ... :(

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
08/12/2013 8 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

It would be easier to say in what disease diabetes is not a risk factor.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/12/2013 8:03 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Sherpa41 said:
It would be easier to say in what disease diabetes is not a risk factor.

how much reason ...

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
08/12/2013 8:07 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.