Lantus and needles

mimbek's profile photo   08/14/2013 6:51 a.m.

I have a question…

In the morning I get 8 units, and there are times that I notice that the peak of maximum action is too strong.The question is ... the days that happens, means that then the effect of the whole day will last less hours?It is that yesterday morning I started to lower my sugar without explanation, and at night at 2 hours of dinner I measured and I had a huge 310 in blood, which I did not understand either.I hope I explained to me, I am a little fish: -s.

And another theme is the needles.Which are the best?In my health center they give me Braun, but not enough ... so I buy some of the BD brand that they don't just like it.When I'm going to click, I put the needle in the gut ... I have it and then go through it ... and it hurts a lot: -o.This morning in my leg when I put the lantus, I made a little strip, when I took out the needle, blood has come out and I have left a lot.

Thanks

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
08/14/2013 6:51 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

If the BD needle hurts ... I don't know what to tell you.It is undoubtedly the best of the market to the rest of the rest, including the mediocre Braun.

And Lantus does have a peak of action, effectively.It has been shown that for practical purposes, it has it.But it is not usually problematic.And if one day for whatever reason, you have had a little more of appreciable peak (which can be due only to 4857383765478430 reasons, of which one is the lantus), the rest of the day it does not have to be bad, and lessstill due to Lantus.Basal insulin has very little hypoglycemic power (it is estimated that around 10 mg/dl per hour).

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
08/14/2013 12:43 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Mimbek said:

And another theme is the needles.Which are the best?In my health center they give me Braun, but not enough ... so I buy some of the BD brand that they don't just like it.When I'm going to click, I put the needle in the gut ... I have it and then go through it ... and it hurts a lot: -o.This morning in my leg when I put the lantus, I made a little strip, when I took out the needle, blood has come out and I have left a lot.

Thanks

What size of needles do you use?
99% of people should do well those of 5 mm, the smallest.
Even with that size without pinching it is effective, without problems.

Probably if you use an 8mm needle, it is too long for you, if you don't take the pinch well and take under the subcutaneous tissue you click on the not adequate area ... and that's why blood comes out.
Maybe when it hurts it is because you are clicking in muscle, below the dermis (skin) and subcutaneous tissue.
In addition, if you click on muscle the absorption is very different from when it is done in subcutaneous tissue.

Those of 5mm can click at a right angle without problems, it is impossible for you to get to muscle.
With 8mm if you are thin and do not do well technique of the pinch you have chances of clicking a little in muscle

It also usually hurts more when you choose a saturated area of ​​punctures ... even rotating the areas, we have the tendency to always click on the same place.

The same happens if you reuse the needles, there is a lot of difference between a new and one used needle.One used more, with much difference.

There is not much variety of needles in the market: Braun, BD, Insupe and Novo.
BD and Novo are good needles ... Braun is tolerable by pulling bad and insufficent is the worst of the worst.

Once I tried novo needles, very good, superfines in its fireplace and with security closure that prevented them from reusing them again.I don't remember what they were called.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/14/2013 1:55 p.m.

I was surprised that the BDs are better, because the truth is that I notice the difference (worse).

The ones I buy are BD 0.25mm 31g x 8mm, maybe they are too thick?Those used by Braun are also 8 mm, but the thickness at this time I don't know, I don't have the box: |

And in terms of price, the BD cost me 21.50 euros, and the Braun 50 euros ... (that's why I ruled out the same ones they give in the health center).

Anyway I will try to rotate the areas better ... It is true that no matter how much I know there is rotate, I sometimes tend to do it in areas that I know hurt less.

Thank you!

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
08/14/2013 6:02 p.m.

And as for yesterday's dowers and uploads ... I don't go around, as you say there are tasy factors that alters the glucose you go to know!

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
08/14/2013 6:04 p.m.

I recommend that you try 5 mm needles, the difference is considerable.With the 8 mm I used to have bruises that disappeared as soon as I started using the 5 mm, I think they were BD, the best without a doubt.

DiabetesForo
08/15/2013 6:54 a.m.

I used 5 mm BD and the truth is that great ... the bad thing is that I hurried them too much and when they were already sighing, but if not, perfect!

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
08/16/2013 11:46 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Ever, you never have to reuse needles by God ...

DiabetesForo
08/16/2013 2:59 p.m.

Thank you, then I take note for the next time I have to buy!At first at the health center they told me that I had to reuse them, and I did it for 1 month or so ... but then I refused.I prefer to buy and use one every time.

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
08/16/2013 7:14 p.m.

Prado said:
is that never, you never have to reuse the needles by God .... or

I know it, I know ... :(

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
08/17/2013 7:18 a.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.