Corticosteroids and insulin

tica's profile photo   08/17/2013 12:35 p.m.

Urbason has been punctured for a fat back contract.I was warned by the doctor who still climbed the sugar a bit ... I already knew the effect of corticosteroids, but not the Urbasson.It has told me that it takes about 12 hours to take effect, even so I have uploaded 10% the basal and I have put one more unit to eat.After eating I had a beautiful 327 and that I have eaten little .... now I have put the basal at 140%.Even so, any advice?How much can the effect of this injection last?

tica's profile photo
tica
08/17/2013 12:35 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

I would say that the Urbasson begins to take the effect at half an hour, at 12 noon is when it has more effect and from 24 it already begins to stop effecting, as eliminated in the urine can take to eliminate up to 36 hours.

In the prospect, it increases appetite and delays absorption.
So at meals you might try a square bolus or a dual.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/17/2013 5:58 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, I hope the effect will only last one day.I already brought the basal to 150% the corrections are like water I have put 8 units to correct a 250 and eat a minipincho of tortilla, I do not give it or 2 rc and after dinner 270 .... tomorrow it will be another day ...

tica's profile photo
tica
08/17/2013 9:15 p.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

It is not that I have great experience with cortisone in its modalities, but trying to control glycemia during corticosteroid consumption (that word always reminds me of corticols), it seems to me something simply quasi-impossible.So I would tell you "do what you can."Of course, when you lower the medication of corticosteroids, as you do not lower the insulin to "Cascoporro", they will give you so many hypoglycemia that you are going to freak out, as the boys say.So courage ...

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
08/19/2013 8:39 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Yesterday after eating I felt "fair" but for laziness I didn't look at myI am still thirsty, I think that in the little car of I carry another, another half -liter ... how lucky that in the backpack we carry a liter and a half .... also to inside ... analysis before dinner 450 !!!Often Canguelo entered me ... Luckily the effect of corticosteroids was 2 days ... Toleran night, light that 400 with 10 units believing safe hypo and stayed in 280 ... again to correct, this at night, with the basal to 170% I am with muscle relaxants and I did not just grind me a nocturnal hypo ... come on that I have almostn't hit an eye.I got up at 86 ... what I do not understand is how I did not feel the hyper, I drank 2 liters of water and my head hurt (I thought it was for the back contractures) it seems that I am in the diabetes for 2days so to speak .... gave me a anger ...

tica's profile photo
tica
08/20/2013 4:26 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Good morning,

I would like to know how long your body takes to eliminate the cortisone.They gave me cortisona for a problem that I had in one eye called Tolosa-Hunt syndrome.In three days they put me for vein 1500 mg (500 every day) and also, by Boca I took 90mg a day, and then they went down little by little.I was about two months/two and a half months taking it.I swallow a lot and fat too much, now I have lowered something but I have about 4 kg that I am unable to get myself out and I am not a sedentary person since the gym is at least 3 times a week.
I am type 1 diabetic with insulin pump since March this year 2015

I would thank you if you could give me a solution since I am quite desperate.

Thank you so much

CRISTINAMOSQUERA's profile photo
CRISTINAMOSQUERA
09/21/2015 12:32 p.m.

I imagine that the corticosteroid will have already eliminated it. What you have fattened will have to lower it little by little ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/21/2015 2:30 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I was also taking corticosteroids in high doses, the glycems could control them because I had 6 to 6.4 subied as 5 units the basal, I put 11 because I passed to 16 (as was the same daily dose of corticosteroid because it isor less it is constant what suits sugar) another thing is when you occasionally take it a few days or put an infiltration, those days are crazy, you are doing corrections on the march to the tutún, normally the effect of the local corticosteroid or me lasts meabout 48h
The fattening .. you have to differentiate 2 things, on the one hand you retain a lot of liquid and you incan like a barstoring fat too, so you get everything together, Camos you look monisima of death ...
In addition, another problem, they tell you that be careful with sugar because it goes up and such but they do not tell you that if you take them for a while, the adrenal glands are canceled because you are already giving the body sternally the cortisol and you lose the answer to hypoglycemia, you have no symptoms and also not loose glucagon, because the warning signal is not given, they are dangerous !!
When you stop taking them, that you cannot leave s sudden because the adrenals do not work from one day to another, but they start as you leave you take them, the liquid lost it quickly, but the little fat you have stored (q inWomen are stored in the belly because the corticosteroid has made us become more man (hirsurtism), you do not lose it until you eat normal again for a while or regime, so my advice is that if you take xorticoid tryThe meals because then it costs to cook it and it usually takes a lot.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
09/21/2015 3:01 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

In my case, more once a year I have to make an infiltration in my hand because of an injury that I had a lot ago.According to me in traumBe more pending to prevent me from climbing, apart from increasing Lantus or now the two basal pump.

GemaTer's profile photo
GemaTer
09/21/2015 4:16 p.m.

Conviviendo con la diabetes desde 1986
Aviva Combo Junio 2015
Freestyle Enero 2016
Dexcom g4 Octubre 2016
Ultima Hb1ac 5,7

Hello!
I want to resume the thread ...

Today I am frustrated.I have a very strong allergic reaction in my face for 2 days.I have a lot of granites swollen by Tooooda my face and it looks a lot.Not to mention what it seems that I have the face made of Gotelé ...

I have gone to the emergency room and I have only treated me the hyper I had after having taken me Urbasón on my own, however, the face that is what really worries me or looked at me.What is secondary tell me!Tonight I have gone to other emergencies and the same, that being diabetic do not dare to send me corticosteroids.

Has it happened to you?It seems fatal to me that they do not treat you an allergic reaction like this.It bites me a lot and I worry that I have it in my eyes too.

NiñaBurbuja's profile photo
NiñaBurbuja
04/03/2021 10:40 p.m.

T1 diagnosticada a los 24, tengo 31.
Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

@"Niñaburbuja", because I don't understand it, if you go up with corticosteroids, you'll correct with insulin.
My little daughter had an asthma crisis and was admitted with corticosteroids, the corregía with quick me, in the same hospital, and we could control it well.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/04/2021 2:32 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The same thing happened to me because of the pine capsus, they have treated me with oral antihistamines and creams and it happened to me in two days and has not affected me glycemia at all

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
04/04/2021 10:03 a.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

@Regina thanks for telling me your experience.The doctor of the first emergencies told me that if at some point they had to give me corticosteroids they would have to enter ... I sincerely think that I have found residents who did not dare to touch me.

@Alberto_13 I have only sent me antihistamines but it is what I usually take and this does not advance ☹

Thanks to the two of answering!🤗

NiñaBurbuja
04/04/2021 10:41 a.m.

Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

They gave me corticosteroids for the inflammation of the eye after an operation, at first they treated me with a few drops because they did not dare to give me corticosteroids, but in the end there was no choice.I spent a few days high of glycemia, but there was no other left and nothing happens to spend a few days uncontrolled if one is aware of what is happening.
Good luck @"niñaburbuja" I hope you have a solution soon.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
04/04/2021 2:53 p.m.

I took corticosteroids about 4 years and glying, about 100mg/dl above the usual, but readjus the rapid and slow and nothing happened.Rhinitis stayed with me, there continues ... :(

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/06/2021 4:44 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Thank you very much for your comments @anaisabel and @ruthbia.

The truth is that I am hallucinating when I see that they did give you ... tomorrow I have an appointment with the endo and I continue with my face the same, I will see if she tells me what happens because I do not understand anything and are already many days :(

I understand that there is medication that uploads the glucose and you have to be careful but you can not imagine how I have my face and sincerely, in my opinion, I could also die because I close the paths of the swelling or because I give me a shock.

Forgive, I needed to vent.

NiñaBurbuja
04/06/2021 6:35 p.m.

@"Bubble girl" especially that an allergologist sees you, you will already adjust the insulin.
You have to know what you have reacted.
As long as you give some soothing cream, unless you don't pique you so much.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/06/2021 9:17 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Well, you will tell us

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
04/06/2021 10:28 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

In the end what they have given me is an emergency appointment for April 16 at the dermatologist ... yesterday I had an appointment with the endocrine and told me that they could give them to me but that it would always go through the consultation to adjust thedose because it depended a lot on the type of corticosteroids.

Anyway, luckily it has improved a lot but of course, we are talking about 7 days.It continues to spicy and now it seems that my skin is going to fall, but hey, I understand that it is part of the healing process.

In case someone looks in my situation, it has helped me a lot to wash my face with glycerin soap.

Again, thank you all for commenting and for worrying 🤗

NiñaBurbuja
04/09/2021 3:58 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.