Doubts: quitting smoking

DiabetesForo's profile photo   09/09/2013 1:58 p.m.

I have 3 days trying to quit smoking;It was the only thing that was aware of all the doctor told me.After trying, on Friday I bought an electronic cigar, those of steam, with liquids with nicotine but in a smaller dose.
I don't know if it will be a good system or not;For now I carry it, more or less well, but I ask, can it be that the intake of nicotine thus, or anxiety, make the levels rise to me?

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/09/2013 1:58 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Gara,
I have been with the electronic cigarette for two months and I have not had anxiety at any time and now I have been without nicotine for two weeks and for the moment of the first day ...
Tell you two independent things ...
Personally, anxity and nerves, they put the levels through the clouds ...
And the other on the electronic cigarette, if you notice anxiety, upload the nicotine mg ... It is a process in which you must reduce but without passing anxiety.It is better that you start with more nicotine (than anyway, it will be much less than in the normal cigarette) and go down progressively.
You'll be counting :-)

INTRUSA's profile photo
INTRUSA
09/09/2013 2:05 p.m.

DM1 desde 1991
Bombera desde el 22/07/2013
Última hemo 30/10/2014 --> 6,1%

Here you have an article with a lot of information about tobacco and diabetes.

cigarette and diabetes, a lethal mixture

Smoking is a chronic disease characterized by the usual consumption of cigarettes, it is an addiction and also a risk factor associated with multiple diseases.It constitutes the main avoidable cause of disease, disability and death in today's world.For its health consequences, the high economic and social costs that it implies, represents an important public health problem.

Tobacco smoke is a complex mixture of fine particulate material and contains around 4,700 chemical substances capable of producing harm to humans.This material reaches the depths of the lung, serving as transportation for chemical substances, which are distributed throughout the body inducing damage and cellular changes that translate into more than 25 different diseases.Tobacco smoke is considered an environmental toxic and a carcinogen capable of inducing cancer in humans.

cigarette and diabetes

The cigarette not only produces cancer.The American Diabetes Association established that only smoking and diabetes implies 14 times more likely to experience heart problems, in relation to those who do not have diabetes and do not smoke.

A higher risk of microalbuminuria development (loss of small amounts of proteins from urine) has also been described, which are the first step in the development of renal complications in people with type 1 diabetes and 2. The same would happen with retinopathy(Eye complication of diabetes).

The increase in the risk of diabetic neuropathies (neurological complications), as a consequence of cigarettes, has also been documented.In this regard, the danger increases by 2 to 2.5 times in relation to the one possessed with non -smoking diabetes.

The use of tobacco, in its various modalities, constitutes an adverse behavior for the health of all, even for non -smokers who are in everyday contact with people who smoke, becoming passive smokers.But in the particular case of those who have diabetes, this habit is especially dangerous.

Stop smoking can be difficult, and excuses can be found to continue doing it.However, it is shown that the benefits of leaving this addiction begin immediately after turning off the last cigar:

- At 20 minutes after quitting smoking, its blood pressure decreases, its low pulse and the temperature of the blood in their hands and feet has increased.

- At 2 hours, nicotine has been reduced in your body.

- At 8 hours, the level of carbon monoxide in its blood decreases and oxygen increases to the normal level of a non-formator.This is one of the best advantages of quitting smoking, because carbon monoxide affects muscles, brain and tissues.

- At 24 hours, its chances of a heart attack have already decreased.

- At 48 hours, its sense of smell has improved and its palate comes alive again.

- Past 2 to 4 days, all nicotine remains have disappeared from the body.That means there is no physical addictive substance in your brain.

- Between 2 and 9 weeks later, its circulation will improve, the exercise will not be so exhausting and its lung capacity will increase.

- After 3 months, it improves your fertility.This is a frequently overlooked reason when good reasons are sought to quit smoking.In men the quality and density of sperm increases and in women it increases the possibilities of conceiving, with less probability of involuntary abortion, or giving birth to babies with greater risk of fetal death, premature delivery or that the baby has alow birth weight.

- InThe first 9 months, you will realize that you no longer feel lack of air, cough and nasal congestion or fatigue quickly improved.

- After 1 year, the risk of a coronary heart disease appears is half that of a smoker.At this point and due to the increase in oxygen, it will have a remarkable improvement in your skin and gums.Oxygen will help repair dry skin and premature wrinkles.

- After 5 years, the risk of lung cancer is reduced by half.Also its risk of mouth cancer, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases rapidly.

- Between 5 to 15 years, you will no longer be at risk of facing a stroke-vascular accident than that of anyone who has never smoked.

- From 10 years after leaving it, its chances of coronary heart disease will be practically the same as those of anyone who has never smoked.In fact, the risk of premature death for all causes due to tobacco practically disappears and feels again like the people who have never smoked.

Tips to quit smoking

1. Be motivated.Always remember why you are quitting smoking and what are the benefits you will get.

2. Have a specific action plan.Set the day and time when you will quit smoking, decrease the amount of cigarettes in half a week before leaving it.Or you can gradually leave it in a specific time, but have a plan.

3. Arrange your activities so that it is easier to be without smoking.Do not go to places where you used to smoke or where many people smoke, ask your friends, family or co -workers who do not smoke in front of you, have several things you can do when the urgency of smoking comes.

4. Consider the use of medications for not smoking.There are interesting news in this area.Remember that only a doctor can prescribe the appropriate medication.

If you are in this risk group, do not hesitate to request the support and assistance that allows you to transform into an ex-manager, with a healthier future.Remember that smoking increases the risks of diabetes complications.

Sources: Laclasinhmo.cl, Porsalud.wordpress.com and Health.com.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/02/2013 12:10 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.