Running from the hand of "my diabetes"

fer's profile photo   09/12/2013 6:25 a.m.

When they ask me, what does it mean to run?I answer without hesitation, life, running keeps me alive, this is my story:

My mother told me that when I was born it was a real career, that of "pilgrimage" to look for a hospital to accept me was not an easy thing, I ended up being born in the hospital avoided and in the room without pronouncing, on July 19 in the eighties,When the mallons were in fashion and José José still had a voice, it was a career for the woman who was about to bring a girl to the world ...

At 6 years I ran as desperate to the doctor of my mother's hand, her daughter was spinning in a school column, her pupils as big as dishes, "I can't see mom", that phrase was the beginning of small racesWithout a goal that we started walking, that girl was already a teenager, there were nights, in which without knowing the reason, I began to run so quick, so desperate, the weight in my head dominated the ideas, I was drunk with absenceI didn't know, I didn't understand what was happening to me, I ran at night, with my backpack on my back, everything weighed as much, as 100 kilos of unanswered questions, like thousands of flickers who do not end up seeing, something inside me, just theSide of the heart, where the question is born, where fear is found ...

Years later we ran to an emergency room, from that moment on, the races were not the same, now I knew, after 16 kilometers they gave them their hand for the first time: type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism and to play a joke to the destination,Addison syndrome, what does it mean?A lot of autoantibodies determined to run in less expected moments;It turned out to be fascinated to run, reach the limit, cross it and keep standing, we play our best cards on the track, we challenged ourselves ... and then I am there, a few meters from the finish line, a few steps away from hugging those whoI love, to tell the ear, short, we succeed, 5 seconds of ecstasy, of lived sleep, of promise fulfilled and eternal love, I feel invincible, the soul throbs and she tells me, we go for another, that I still do not die.

I have never told the kilometers I have traveled what would be?meters are glory, pain disappears, anguish dissipates, resistance is expressed, fantasy comes alive, that friend, is called a goal, is in front of you, you admire it, you delight you, you run you even more, you don't even think about it, you feel floating, nothing weighs you, neither tiredness, nor fears, nor the obligations that you have accumulated throughout your life, you listen to a sound, that beat that increases, you listen to your heart pouring into steps, you feel it, you live it, you cross it, you want it, you approach.

Days ago they told me, and what is special to run with type 1 diabetes?I replied: Nothing, it is as easy as taking a needle and trying to place the thread in the buttonhole with the eyes closed, how to reproduce the colors of the sea, as simple as breathing underwater, as simple as understanding God ... easy notIt is, as a simple one has nothing, I am quiet when listening to them, saying that they fear the "wall" on the route, do not worry, I will live it ten times and continue to go crazy, to stay alive, to keep running.

There is no diabetes without the race, when we lack, everything loses our heads, figures of 3 numbers, bed, wait, then I return to the track with more force, a few years older than that summer, with more accounts, with profits, lessDebts, I discover that being a broker is not lyrics, it's essence, it's life, it's strength, listening to life partner? We approach the goal.

Dra.Marisol Gil Pérez

Medical, Diabetes educator, president and founder of life stories and NGO sugar and of course,I am a woman who does not believe in the impossible and loves running from the hand of her diabetes.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/12/2013 6:25 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.