{'en': 'Diabetic Gastroparesia', 'es': 'Gastroparesia diabetica'} Image

Diabetic Gastroparesia

hernan's profile photo   09/18/2013 4:32 p.m.

Hello,

My name is Hernán and I need urgent information on diabetic gastroparesis disease, my mother is very bad and many exams are performed and continues with the same symptoms, if anyone knows or has this disease, please deliver information ......

Greetings and thanks :)

hernan's profile photo
hernan
09/18/2013 4:32 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Gastroparesis is a disorder that happens when stomach muscles do not work properly.Sometimes it is called "delayed gastric emptying."Normally, after a person swallows food, stomach muscles begin to tighten and tense.(These movements are called contractions).This crushes food and moves them to the small intestine to continue with the digestion process.When you have gastroparesia, stomach muscles do not contract properly.This may delay or prevent the process of crushing food and sending them to the small intestine.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/18/2013 5:02 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You can tell me what symptoms are the ones that has?All the best

mmolina18's profile photo
mmolina18
09/18/2013 7:13 p.m.

So, can you not digest?or what?: S

farstar's profile photo
farstar
09/18/2013 11:06 p.m.

This thread interests me.I have a very slowed gastric emptying and I think it has gone more over the years.I have no symptomatology of gastroparesia, but I still have doubts about whether that is, which forces me to always click after eating, sometimes much later.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/19/2013 4:18 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

It is not that the digestion is not done, but it becomes slow, the information about diabetic gastroparesia is expanded.

Diabetic gastroparesia occurs when the foods that are ingested stay for a long time, or stamped in the stomach.When food stays a long time in the stomach, they harden forming a solid bulge called Bezoar.A bezoar can cause pain, nausea and infections.Gastroparesis affects type I diabetics, although in type II, it can also occur but less frequently.

Causes: When diabetes causes damage to the vagus nerve due to the prolonged permanence of high blood sugar levels, the brain loses communication capacity with the stomach, which extends the time that food remainsIn the stomach, before moving to the small intestine.

Signs and symptoms: Depending on how serious or benign gastroparesis, one or all the following symptoms can occur:

- Abdomen inflated and with pain.
- Decrease in appetite.
- Feeling full when eating even without eating too much.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Weight loss.

Care: There is no cure for gastroparesia, but generally this disease can be treated with medications and making changes in the diet.It is normally enough to receive care in a clinic or in the doctor's office.In more serious cases, it may be necessary to go to the hospital for exams and treatment.Periodic visits to the doctor may be necessary 1 to 4 times a month.

Exams: Some of the following exams are used to find out if you have gastroparesia.

- Abdominal ultrasound.
- Blood exams.
- Gastric manometry.
- Medical history and physical exam.
- Scanography with gastric emptying radioisotopes
- Superior endoscopy.
- Upper GI.

Treatment options: Treatment consists in controlling symptoms since there is no cure for gastroparesia.Depending on how benign or severe that gastroparesia is adjusting the treatment, for example:

- Medications are used to treat some symptoms of gastroparesia, such as nausea, infections and also for your stomach to move food faster.
- Changes in insulin doses.
- Changes in your daily diet and in meal hours.
- The nasogastric probe to relieve pain and reduce inflation.
- If changes in medications and diet do not take effect, it is possible that a "PEG or tube J" is needed to place in the small intestine.Food is supplied in liquid form through this tube, preventing it from passing through the stomach creating problems.This treatment can be short or long duration.
- Placement of an intravenous central line to manage food in liquid form for a short time.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/19/2013 7:29 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

For gondullo,
The 3 studies that I know on the issue of gastric emptying related to the DM:
Horowitz M, Maddox A, Harding Pe, Maddern GJ, Chatterton
Be, Wishart J, et al.Effect of Cisapride on Gastric and Esophageal
Emptying in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Gastroenterology
1987; 92: 1899-907.

Melga P, Mansi C, Ciuchi E, Giusti R, Sciabà L, Prando R. Chronic
administration of levosulpiride and glycemic control in
IDDM Patients with Gastroparesis.Care diabetes 1997; 20: 55-8.

Mansi C, Savarino V, Vigneri s, Perilli D, Melga P, Sciaba L
et al.Gastrokinetic Effects of Levosulpiride in Dyspeptic Patients
with diabetic gastroparesis.Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90:
1989-93.

None decreases hypos, nor establishes a causal relationship between empty and glycosylated improvement.

For the diagnosis of gastric emptying (and gastroparesis), gammafría, ultrasound or breath test is usually used.

Normally to diagnose gastroparesia, after making all the story is usually performed a gastroscopy that discards tumors or ulcers.
Then something is sought by vilia by ultrasound and finally the medication is proven to see if it works and improves.
That is, it is usually diagnosed by exclusion.

It is rare that gastroparesia occur in a patient who has not had any other complication such as retinopathy, neuropathy or nephropathy.

I have been working in a digestive endoscopies and I have seen hundreds of gastroscopies ... and barely remember 5 or 6 gastroparesias ...

Bezares, who mentions Fer, I have only seen 2 and I doubt that no one gets so the limit of putting a PEG for this problem, much before the drugs or surgery are used.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/20/2013 2:01 p.m.

Caray what you control.I congratulate you

White's profile photo
White
09/22/2013 5:43 p.m.

Owash said:
for gondullo,
The 3 studies that I know on the issue of gastric emptying related to the DM:
Horowitz M, Maddox A, Harding Pe, Maddern GJ, Chatterton
Be, Wishart J, et al.Effect of Cisapride on Gastric and Esophageal
Emptying in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Gastroenterology
1987; 92: 1899-907.

Melga P, Mansi C, Ciuchi E, Giusti R, Sciabà L, Prando R. Chronic
administration of levosulpiride and glycemic control in
IDDM Patients with Gastroparesis.Care diabetes 1997; 20: 55-8.

Mansi C, Savarino V, Vigneri s, Perilli D, Melga P, Sciaba L
et al.Gastrokinetic Effects of Levosulpiride in Dyspeptic Patients
with diabetic gastroparesis.Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90:
1989-93.

None decreases hypos, nor establishes a causal relationship between empty and glycosylated improvement.

For the diagnosis of gastric emptying (and gastroparesis), gammafría, ultrasound or breath test is usually used.

Normally to diagnose gastroparesia, after making all the story is usually performed a gastroscopy that discards tumors or ulcers.
Then something is sought by vilia by ultrasound and finally the medication is proven to see if it works and improves.
That is, it is usually diagnosed by exclusion.

It is rare that gastroparesia occur in a patient who has not had any other complication such as retinopathy, neuropathy or nephropathy.

I have been working in a digestive endoscopies and I have seen hundreds of gastroscopies ... and barely remember 5 or 6 gastroparesias ...

Bezares, which mentions Fer, I have only seen 2 and I doubt that no one gets so the limit of putting a PEG for this problem, much earlier the drugs or surgery are used.

Hi Owash, I have begun to suspect that I have gastroparesia, so far for me something totally unknown, I have never wanted to focus on the complications of diabetes.

From 3 months here I have taken 2 kilos of weight without increasing my intake, I find it more to go to the bathroom of what I did before and sometimes I have as an anguish and sensation of the full belly

Last summer I was diagnosed with mild peripheral neuropathy without treatment and they discharged me for not having serious consequences and being something that all diabetics ended up having, they gave little importance

I am waiting to tell the header and you send me any proof if you see it convenient but I would like you to give me your opinion.It is also true that lately I have a little anxiety and there to do the EMG to rule out neurological damage, if not, or do it to me

Thank you

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
05/04/2022 12:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.