NPH insulin in children, 3 times a day?

juanqui2791's profile photo   10/12/2011 4:04 p.m.

Hello,

I would like to ask if someone has tried to use Insulina NPH 3 times a day, tomorrow, noon and dinner, in 5 -year -old children.

Thank you!

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
10/12/2011 4:04 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi, Juanqui.

I guess someone will be, because there are endocrine for all tastes, but personally, the NPH seems to me a horror.To my daughter, when I used it, they gave her dos and climb her every two by three, and enslaves at rigid schedules.My recommendation is that that child is asked to change to Levemir or Lantus and, if they don't want to change endocrine.I did that in his day and often change for my daughter.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/12/2011 6:49 p.m.

I don't know if things have changed much but they were not prescribed slow action analogues (such as lantus) if things have changed I say nothing but until four days ago this was so and on the other hand a minor of12 years (or under 14 years, I do not remember exactly age) is an bone pediatrician who, at most what he can ask for is a pediatrician change.

Anyway, what you have in these hands is a diabetes in a child, very difficult diabetes to control and there neither the NPH nor the lantus nor the levemir nor any insulin will do miracles, they will all go the samegood/bad.

If you have to use NPH to use NPH, to be regular at times and monitor the nights for possible hypoglycemia.

DiabetesForo
10/12/2011 7:09 p.m.

I do not agree with you, TNT.

To start, a child can take a pediatrician or an endocrine.My daughter was taken in Oviedo (I guess you know her well) a certain character that should be between bars instead of attending children.It was supposedly endocrine of pediatrics (I think he was only pediatrician).He was the one who tormented my daughter and many other children with rigid schedules, rigid diets, etc.That's why I asked for the change and we went to Gijón, where no pediatrician was carried, but Dr. Prieto, head of the Endocrinology Section, and was the one who prescribed the Lantus.Finally a respite.

On the other hand, although it is true that under 6 years of age do not prescribe a priori, they can do it if the parents consist in writing.And with Levemir there is no hit.

It is true that no insulin is miracles.In fact, miracles, if perhaps, in Lourdes.But we are talking about improving the quality of life of a diabetic child, and that does the Lantus, the Levemir, or, better yet, the bomb.

Health

DiabetesForo
10/12/2011 7:26 p.m.

I have no idea who took your daughter in Oviedo at that time, but since you talk about the endocrine of pediatrics catches my attention ...

To prescribe NPH in children under 6 years of age does not convert any doctor (pediatrician or endocrine or any type) into a character who deserves to be between bars simply for that, it is what they do by default all and it is something is done for some reason, if notThere would be no risk, parents would not have to sign any consent of anything.

How old was your daughter when you requested the change and the lantus was prescribed for the first time?
Edito: Seeing your firm Your daughter debuted with 8 years, from the perspective of _hoy_ Lantus could have been prescribed from the first moment but that did not happen in the current era we are talking about what was done 9 or 10 years ago, totally normalNPH was prescribed at that time, the Lantus at that time only began to take its first steps.

Is that change to the Lantus a radical change for better in its diabetes or did you remain the diabetes in a child (something very difficult to handle independently of the type of insulin)?

What you have had in hand was the diabetes of a child and what you still have in hand is a diabetes in a teenageInsulin pump / ... others).
Following the same criteria with which you speak of the NPH (basically: bad results -& GT; poor treatment) you could also say that all treatments are a horror however you only say it of one of the treatments and that is what I mostIt draws attention.

Many parents are waiting as "May water" the change from NPH to something like Lantus or Levemir, they expect that change as something miraculous when they will be basically the same (with a diabetes of a child or a teenager in hand) and I am surprised thatSomeone who has already traveled much of that path and maybe now begins to see some light at the end of the tunnel (what you have in hand is becoming a diabetes of an adult person, something in principle more bearable) speaks of differencesHuge of being with one or other insulins at those ages, when I believe that what most influences those ages.

When your daughter's diabetes begins to stabilize (if you are not doing), will you label the treatment you have at that time as "wonderful" and extend it to the doctor to take it at that time?Will it also be a "wonderful" doctor?I do not say that these two things do not influence (treatment and medical) but it seems to me that what is going to weigh the most is the fact of becoming the diabetes of an adult (in principle somewhat more bearable) more than the insulins you have in thatmoment.

DiabetesForo
10/12/2011 8:31 p.m.

In parts (Jack the Dixit Ripper):

My daughter was taken, in HUCA, the only doctor who wore diabetic children.And I do not say the name because it is easy to find out and because for my daughter it was a real criminal.I do not know if you know that there are pediatricians who avoid as much as possible to send children to such an individual.Treat children hard, without empathy, like an ogre.The kids (and I speak in the plural because there are quite a few who have suffered to that guy) they have panic and they will "throw their anger."For him, swimming, for example, is not exercise, nor run in the street, nor play Pilla-Pilla.The only acceptable exercise is the march at a light pace.

That said, as you will understand, what matters least is that he prescribes and continues to recipe NPH, among other things because it is the only insulin that dominates.

And yes, it is true that when my daughter debuted there was no Lantus.It started shortly after and, when I asked for the change, after seeing the excellent result in other foreros, he simply replied that the Lantus did not exist.But my daughter was already 9 or 10 years old and there were no contraindications by age.

Questions if the change to Lantus was a radical change.The answer is: flatly yes.My daughter did not need to get up on a Sunday at 8 in the morning to breakfast.The insulin curves did not force her to eat at certain times.She was not obliged to rigid schedules and had no hypoglycemia so often.He could snack or not, as he wanted, and he didn't have to take him a snack when he was already asleep.

And now, with the bomb, the change has simply been spectacular.And not because of age, because the pump has been put in the middle of the rebel age and hormone explosion.No. The barbarities of adolescent have made them with Lantus and with bomb.But when you want to take care of you can.However, with NPH, and being a breeding that did what was told, following the guidelines, the control was impossible and enslaved.

In short: When my daughter was little, there was no less less (which can be administered in young children) and practically did not exist the bomb, so everything was more difficult.

But now you know which is the only reason why NPH continues to be prescribed?The economic one.It is simply cheaper.And it is not my invention.The excellent pediatrician my daughter had at the health center taught me a circular that "doctors recommended" prescribe NPH instead of Lantus, given the highest cost of it.

And to understand even better, a teenager, or a child, can have more difficulties in achieving glycemic stability.That is why they precisely need the best control options.There are plenty of studies that demonstrate how pump treatment improves stability.

To say that, as a child is unstable, it doesn't matter insulin because it will continue unstable is like saying that, as the road is bad, it doesn't matter the car you carry, because you can hit it the same.
I'm sorry, but I prefer, in any case, the good car.

Health

DiabetesForo
10/12/2011 9:29 p.m.

Taking advantage of the fact that I am doing a night job I answer you even if they are a bit untimely.

That said, as you will understand, what least matters and continues to recipe NPH, among other things because it is the only insulin that dominates.

You speak like that person is the only person in the world who continues to recipe NPH to children under 6 years when that is not, that is still done and continue to do it mostly at those ages and there are several reasons apart from the economic or knowledge of knowledge ofother insulins/terápia for that to continue.

Over time the insulin analogues (all) will be filmed more and that limitation will disappear but for the moment it is what there is and no endocrine or pediatrician will stain their hands (none) unless parents release him from certain responsibilities(Sign consent).

And yes, it is true that when my daughter debuted there was no lantus.It started shortly after and, when I asked for the change, after seeing the excellent result in other foreros, he simply replied that the Lantus did not exist.But my daughter was already 9 or 10 years old and there were no contraindications by age.
Are you serious?Did you ask NPH change to Lantus shortly after the Lantus PQ began to use some users of an Internet forum that were very happy with the Lantus?Leaving that person's response aside ... are you really saying that?

Questions if the change to Lantus was a radical change.The answer is: flatly yes.My daughter did not need to get up on a Sunday at 8 in the morning to breakfast.The insulin curves did not force her to eat at certain times.She was not obliged to rigid schedules and had no hypoglycemia so often.I could snack or not, as he wanted, and he didn't have to give him a resopon when he was already asleep.

Are you the same Alea who counts adventures and misadventures about his daughter's diabetes on the Ruta de la Plata thread?because one of two or in that thread you tend to decorate what you tell in a rather negative way or in this thread in which we are adorning what you are telling so that it seems otherwise, we go little less than the lantus is great.

It is relatively easy to find posts of one alea (if not in that thread of La PlataThe same person.

I think you fall into some contradiction (or that or what you tell in those threads is not so ugly and what you tell in this thread is not so handsome).

<Blockquote Alea "" = "" Rel = ""You can stick it the same.
I'm sorry, but I prefer, in any case, the good car.
I do not seem like a good example for different reasons ... but mainly it does not seem like a good example because I have not said exactly what you try to express especially in the first part ... we will have to assume that it is something you have said andYou want to reply to yourself.

DiabetesForo
10/13/2011 12:06 a.m.

A diabetes forum serves among other things to find out about the new advances that are going on the subject, to know the experiences of others with the different treatments that exist in the market and the obligation of a doctor is to know before even that weadvances.I also asked Lantus to my endocrine because I wanted to try it and not only did it not seemed crazy to tell him but he pointed to the studio since then I was not yet marketed in Spain and they facilitated it to me in the hospital.
I used NPH and despite my stability, Lantus was an immense step forward, soon I already went to the bomb and that is another world: D: D: D: D.

DiabetesForo
10/13/2011 4:30 a.m.

I do not want to argue about pediatric endocrine first, I suppose there will be everyone.
Then I also have knowledge about insulin prices, therefore I don't know which is more expensive.
Just saying we are considering the passage to another type of insulin such as determining, using it as a basal and Aar as novo rapid for meals.
The problem that we have most with the Insulatard (NPH), are the peaks about the five hours that are brutal, so specifically we took a step when dividing the morning dose into two.At 8 and the other at 2 pm and the night leave it the same.
See if in this way we managed to control the peak of 13:30 at 14:30.The glycemia curve is very strong in a short time, if you are not very attentive the baby stays with 20 mg/dl of glucose and we all have very bad.

juanqui2791
10/13/2011 7:44 a.m.

In my case I started with pork insulin(You were high before a meal and or NPH overses and there was no way to correct the peak. I ended up having 20, 40, 60 and put the most that suited at the time).Then pass to NPH and ultra fast and then to NPH, regular and ultra -grape (which for me was the best combination even if there will be people who wonder if I am crazy or what).And finally, after 15 years of diabetes the lantus arrived.For me the invention of Devil, that badly it was ... the four years that I used was no way to make her, 300 and 400 peaks every day because I did not cover me just 20 hours.In addition in the afternoon I need practically twice the insulin that in the morning and that with the Lantus is not possible.I wanted to return to the NPH and the doctor did not leave me, because "everyone" was better for the Lantus than the NPH.

With this I do not want to condemn the Lantus (I have not tried other basal), or to the mix feathers.But for me, before carrying the pump, the treatment that was best was NPH and I mixtures the mixtures.
Now I have been with very stable diabetes for a few years, almost no change basal, maybe now the lantus would not be "the worst" ... Each insulin is for each person and at every moment of life.

Juanqui2791, returning to the case of your 5 -year -old son, my recommendation: get the pump ... is authorized (and recommended in children), it is the safest method for hypoglycemia and you have to solve the hypoglycemia of 20.So low in such young children is really dangerous.I think that only to avoid these hypoglycemia, your case would be a book to grant you the pump.

tica's profile photo
tica
10/13/2011 9:14 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

TNT, an point:

There is no "alea" here, because, among other things, Alea, that is, I, is a lady as to not try to belittle anyone, not even someone like you.

That said, I'm afraid you have a reader problem.The barbarities or rebellions that I have told my daughter I do not need to magnify them.More than anything because I don't need to get attention.And if I have told them, it has been, above all, so that other parents are alert with their children and do not take certain attitudes.And also, why not, to probe Possible Forero tips that, unlike you, what they are looking for is to help try their self -esteem based on being a bad imitator of Risto Mejide.I'm sorry for you, but don't impress me.Try it with another (but better not in this forum)

The one that my daughter has made barbarities with consequences of lack of control in her diabetes has nothing to do with the quality of insulins.In fact, the example you have not understood is that, when you want to take care of, according to what treatments can, while with anachronisms like the NPH it cannot.Is it hard for you to understand that?

And you don't seem to have understood that I speak well of the Lantus comparing it with the NPH.Naturally, comparing it to the pump is far behind.But if you do not seem a delay, the NPH, of the bomb better or tell you.

And finally, reading "a few users of an Internet forum", said, in a derogatory plan, says very little of you.I have learned a thousand times more from diabetes with many of those users, especially of a few, who with the criminal who tried and almost ends my daughter's mental health.Because, even if you don't believe it, there are not only people who ask doubts, but there are also very prepared people, who know how to help and, above all, who wants to help.Some know each other in person and, to top it off, we respect each other.But maybe you don't know what I'm talking about, so I'm not going to waste more time.I guess life has not treated you well, judging by the bitterness that you distil, but that is not my problem or that of the rest of the foreros.

Greetings

DiabetesForo
10/13/2011 10:09 a.m.

In response to the insulin bomb, I suppose it is for children a little over five years.
As well as my son in the Patio del Cole plays with sand and also play the catches and push and throw to the ground, things of
Children and the bomb does not convince me for the issue of the catheter is released, or a blow to the pump and does not work.
That is why it is better to expect it to be a bit more responsible.
As for the NPH peaks yesterday we started with three doses, at 8 in the morning, at 14 noon and at nine o'clock at night.The morning dose is unfolded between the morning and noon, it seems that there is less peak, to see also that we get in the glucosilada next month.
Nothing a greeting to all,

juanqui2791
10/13/2011 5:46 p.m.

In my daughter's case, NPH's passage to Lantus, radically changed our lives, once we found the time that was best (11h).
The night hypoglycemia ended, which brought me head, the rigid food schedules, which were a horror, and the continuous uncertainty of the glycemia.
With lantus and ultra -grape, he has normalized his life.

The "offender" of which Alea speaks, I have suffered so.He literally made me crazy after the words about the future that, according to him, I was waiting for my daughter, and with whom he gave me the day after the diagnosis.
After 18 years, nothing he told me came true, but the anguish that caused me did not take me away until I miraculously found the forum before this one (no longer exists), with foreros who taught me and helped me more than anyEndo, and to whom I will be eternally grateful.: D

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/13/2011 6:10 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Juanqui, I answered you in the presentation thread .... Of course, the bomb is for children of any age, even for babies is the best indicated treatment ... read the thread of parents and you will see that almost all of us who write thereWe have experience with her, and children are disparate ages.I already offered to tell you what you need, because my daughter has been for 7 years now.
Alea, daughter, how well you write, and what patience you have, or what wisdom, or what do I know ... much less intelligent than you, I am now telling up to 10 to have to regret what I write ...It's true that I admire you.
To TNT tell him that with the irresponsibility that characterizes me, I also asked my daughter's endocrine, under my responsibility to change to Lantus when she did not yet be 6 years old ... We were only a couple of months with her, noI know if it arrived, because for that date we had already requested the bomb ... we did not get the desired result, I suppose that too little time to adjust well basal and Bolus, and I also did it because I met in a forum the experience of many foreros that thewere they using with a good result ... are you using it for infusa science?Well, it seems to me that when you entered this forum, you were looking for the occasional response ... in short, that if I can boast, it is to have fought because my daughter has the best treatment that today can have, and for thatI have had to document very much, in forums above all, with the experience of people who, as Alea tells you, in addition to knowing, wants to help ...

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/13/2011 8:15 p.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Alea I'm going to point out something:

Talking about someone in the third person is neither a contempt nor an offense neither an insult nor anything like that, in principle it is not, but come on ... it seems that it is a subject of semantics instead of going directly to the grain.

After having read a person (Alea) in this forum talking about a topic (Lantus) and see that he has different (quite different) opinions on that topic in several posts of this forum for looking for a rapid explanation of PQ that could happen to me thatI raise things like "It will be that there is more than one person using that nick" or "Maybe someone who is not her has her access data to the forum and has written posts using that nick" hence the question of whether you were orNot the same person, I believed that the PQ of the question had been clear in my previous post but it seems that a subsequent explanation has been necessary.

On this topic I think you have been quite clear, there is only one alea, so the only thing that could be discussed is whether or not it is the existence of those Posts of Alea with quite different opinions about the Lantus.

You know the answer to that, whatever is the usual of the forum and has read you a little knows the answer to that and the person who refers to the existence of those posts knows the answer to that.

I, who are the person who refers to those posts, I do not refer to them because of the possible trasOpinions regarding the Lantus.

----------------------------

Reference to some users of an Internet forum with the words "some users of an Internet forum" is not derogatory for those users (or other users) of a forum (or other forums), but we return to the same ...It is a semantics issue instead of going directly to the point.

If a person to read those questions (one really matters), he raises it, he answers himself and finally stands a little about that answer, if at that time that person feels uncomfortable with that answer I think I thinkthat should be considered because it feels uncomfortable instead of getting to wander over anything (such as the users of a forum: whether or not you learn from them, if there are people prepared in a forum or there are not, if they know each other inperson or not, ... etc).

The question is basically "yes" or "no", maybe you can clarify a little but it is "yes" or "no", if it is necessary to wander more than the account something is not going well, they may be weighing othersThings apart from how that insulin was reached, maybe something like the (real) results obtained with that insulin, maybe it simply was not so wonderful ...

In this issue I have to say that you have not been as clear as in the subject of whether there is more than one alea, you have not answered those questions (or good, to which it really matters), of course you have no obligation.

----------------------------

I have no problem leaving the subject here since I see that in each post you try to go through the "hills of Úbeda" with semantic themes are true or not ("this is derogatory" "this is a contempt") or talk all the timeof people who deserve a couple of references (the first doctor that your daughter had on diabetes issues) come on ... talk about things that do not contribute anything to anyone but I see that you point to give some "firewood" ...

(...) Alea, that is, I, is a lady not to try to belittle anyone, not even someone like you.

(...) And also, why not, to probe Possible tips from Forero that, unlike you, what they are looking for is to help try their self -esteem based on being a bad imitator of Risto Mejide.

I tell youThat if you start saying that you do not do or are not going to do one thing but some (few) lines later end up doing that thing makes:
1st) If you do that thing alloy, do not fool yourself.
2nd) Caes in a contradiction, one more.
This is just an example, there is more ... but don't worry about things like this PQ you have people who tell you for example how well you write or how intelligent you are even if you do things like that (and see them the same as you and thatMe) and that for your self -esteem can do well.

I repeat, I have no problem leaving the subject here, I entered this thread for making a couple of punctualizations and it seems that the subject has derived more to "hills of Úbeda" than to something else, but well ... if there is "firewood"And also without coming to the story ...

I am convinced that if I had not put to post in this thread, I would not have half of the posts that they now have or read it a quarter of the readers that it now has;)

DiabetesForo
10/14/2011 3:16 a.m.

Of course, TNT, is that the debates lit always have that little mourning point to which no one can resist;)

As far as I know, based on what I experienced and what I have been able to know later, I can only contribute that Lantus improved a lot with respect to NPH in practically all the people who participated in the initial studies of this insulin (I one of them).And "the conclusion" that we can establish from that study (with the capital, because it was resounding and obvious) is that Lantus drastically reduced nocturnal hypoglycemia, in general producing a reduction in the number of hypoglycemia.That is, that the absence of peak could be verified, which is mainly the greatest threat of NPH, which - as well as they have already said - has the enormous slavery that it requires faithfully adjusting to schedules, and if you do not comply, your meats will sufferThe consequent and intense hypoglycemia.This is already in itself that it compensates and justifies to go to NPH, insulin that the truth, from my ignorance, I do not understand how today continues to exist.I remember her with very little appreciation, because of the huge downs that buzz me.
And in children ... I don't even tell you.The erratic life of a child I think is the ideal one for a type of insulin such as Lantus or Levemir.If I had a child with diabetes today, I would sign the informed consent with my eyes closed without hesitation.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/14/2011 4:28 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I was going to answer point to point, but, TNT, you have achieved one thing: bore me.

And see that I like controversies, but whenever the level deserves.

I will only explain to you (once again, for the last time), that my opinions are not contradictory, but compared.That is, so that you understand it, if possible: if you ask me how is a car, for example, a Seat Ibiza, I can answer how good, bad or regular, and I do not lie any of the time, because you have to readThe context.If the Seat Ibiza (call it Lantus) I compare it with the Seat Panda (call it NPH), you will see that in that case I will say that it is magnificent.If I compare it with a Ford Focus (read Levemir), I will tell you that normal.And if I compare it with a Aston Martin Viage (read bomb), then I will say it is a shit.
Am I contradictory?No. I am talking in a context.Yes, that one you usually get things to try not to make sense.

Seriously, I think you have a problem and that you should look at it.

And don't worry about my self -esteem.If they tell me that I am intelligent, I believe it and thank the fulfillment, because I know that I am not, but being intelligent has no merit, because I have done nothing to deserve it.It is like being handsome, or tall, or having the eyes of a certain color.
If they tell me that I write well, I also appreciate it, and I am glad, because I love making me understand and I get effort to do it better, although I know my limitations and I do not write, or from afar, as I would like.
Of course, I would like to make merits to be a good person.It is what is really difficult and the only thing worth it, but that is already major words.

Anyway, I agree with Gondrullo and I don't know how they continue to prescribe that insulin shit that, in my opinion is the NPH.

Health

DiabetesForo
10/14/2011 4 p.m.

I have been busy these days with hardly any time to connect, yesterday I could connect and read the forum a little but I did not have time to answer, today I have achieved a little time:

Of course, luck is not with you, the reference to those posts is not on any comparison of insulins (a pity PQ you had cured that comparison with insulins and cars and no, the shots do not go around).

On the other hand ... that someone who makes some posts references to him that he takes out the context things when they are simply that, some references, it is a bit funny, to enter to make some assessment I think like likeIt would be minimal to see what posts are.

The level will not go to value it, I will only say that it has been basically the same during the whole thread and you have participated in it from the beginning, if you now put it to value it as of low quality or low level ... also alsoIt's a bit funny (stop you for a moment).

This thread may have many qualifiers but it is everything but boring, if someone has smiled once or several times or has even released some laugh during the thread we can rule out that this person has been bored by reading it, laughing and being bored are terms that are not veryCompatible

Greetings to all the readers you want not to grow;)

DiabetesForo
10/21/2011 3:15 a.m.

A baby to put NPH is a horror.The panic hypoglycemia that we have swallowed.It is to see your daughter die with hypoglycemia.It may be that 4 years ago it was.In relation to Lantus, it is not yet approved for children under 2 years.No one should judge the experiences of others.As little respect and if you can support better.Instead of analyzing each sentence.Greetings

hoyos9's profile photo
hoyos9
09/08/2017 12:59 a.m.

Hello, my son at 4 years old told him NPH, twice x day, as his body still produced some insulin was without fast, and since May of this year, he is 5 years old, he is with Lantus and fast before each meal.The Lantus in the middle of the morning. And x now beyond inexplicable climbs, as usually happens, it is doing very well.
Is the toujeo indicated in children?Or only adults.?

Dani Se's profile photo
Dani Se
09/08/2017 4 p.m.

Soy DANIELA, mamà de Tomás de 8 años. Con tresiba 9u y lispro en comidas desde mayo 2017 . Iport y free+miao miao2 con xdrip y nigthscout .
Argentina

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.