Restless legs syndrome

luisjmlky's profile photo   09/26/2013 4:02 p.m.

Good afternoon, I am treating diabetes since August of this year with slow and fast insulin.I am suffering punctures and pain in my nights that do not let me sleep.I went to the emergency department and the vascular said that I have the circulation well and that it can be the syndrome of the restless legs and want to redirect the neurologist.Did I want to know if this syndrome has a cure and if once the sugar levels are stabilized, it is solved only since before starting to treat me I had no problem of this type.I also suffer strong punctures in legs, arms, back etc.

Any comment will be grateful, greetings.

luisjmlky's profile photo
luisjmlky
09/26/2013 4:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Louisjmlky,

Honestly, it is the first time I read about restless legs syndrome, in the forum I have not found references to the case.I have investigated and it seems that it is not very common, I put what I have found:

restless legs syndrome

It is a disorder in which there is a desire or need to move the legs to interrupt annoying sensations.

Causes
Restless legs syndrome (SPI) occurs more frequently in middle -aged people and older adults.This condition worsens with stress and its cause is unknown in most patients.

This syndrome can occur more frequently in patients with:

- Chronic kidney disease
- Diabetes
- Iron deficiency
- Parkinson's evil
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Pregnancy
- Use of certain medications, such as caffeine, calcium channel, lithium or neuroleptic channel blockers
- Sedative abstinence

This syndrome is frequently transmitted from parents to children and this can be a factor when the symptoms begin at an early age.The abnormal gene has not yet been identified.

Restless legs syndrome can cause a decrease in sleep quality (insomnia).This lack of sleep can lead to daytime sleepiness, anxiety or depression and confusion or slowness in thought processes.

Symptoms
This syndrome leads to sensations at the bottom of the legs between the knee and the ankle.The feeling causes discomfort unless they move their legs.These sensations:

- They usually occur at night when one is lying or sometimes during the day when one sits for prolonged periods.
- They can be described as drag, crawling, pain, pull, ardor, tingling or bubbling.
- They can last an hour or more.
- Sometimes they can occur at the top of the legs, feet or arms.

You will feel an irresistible desire to walk or move the legs that almost always relieves discomfort.

Most patients have rhythmic legs of the legs during sleep hours, called the limb periodic movement disorder (PLMD).

All these symptoms often interrupt sleep.Symptoms can sometimes make it difficult to sit during air or car trips or along classes or meetings.

Symptoms can worsen during periods of stress or emotional disorder.

tests and exams
There is no specific examination for restless legs syndrome.

The doctor will usually find no problem, unless peripheral neuropathy is also presented.

Blood exams will be done to rule out disorders with similar symptoms, such as ferropenic anemia.

Treatment
There is no known cure for restless legs syndrome.

The treatment is aimed at reducing stress and helping muscle relaxation.The following techniques can help:

- Soft stretching exercises
- Massages
- Hot baths

The low doses of Pamipexol (Mirapex) or Ropinirol (Requip) can be very effective in controlling symptoms in some people.

If you have a serious sleep interruption, the doctor can prescribe medications such as sinemet (an antiparkinsonian medicine), gabapentin and pregabalin, or tranquilizers such as clonazepam.However, these medications can cause diurnal drowsiness.

Iron deficiency patients should receive supplements of this element.

Sometimes, low narcotics doses can relieve symptoms of restless legs syndrome.

prognosis
This syndrome is not dangerous or potentially deadly and is not a sign of a serious disorder;However, it can beannoying and disturbing sleep, which can affect your quality of life.

possible complications
Insomnia can be presented.

When to contact a medical professional
Request an appointment with the doctor if:

- It has syndoms of restless legs syndrome
- Your dream is interrupted

Prevention
The techniques to stimulate muscle relaxation and to reduce stress can reduce the incidence of this syndrome in people prone to this condition.

Alternative names
Night myoclonian;SPI;Acatism

References
Biller J, Love BB, Schneck MJ.Sleep and ITS Disorders.In: Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J, eds.Bradley: Neurology in Clinical Practice.5th ed.Philadelphia, Pa: Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier;2008: Chap 72.

Lang AE.OTHER MOVEMENT DESCORDERS.In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds.Cecil Medicine.24th ed.Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2011: Chap 417.

Updated: 9/26/2011
English version reviewed by: Luc Jasmin, MD, PHD, Department of Anatomy Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA.Review byed by Verimed Healthcare Network.Also Reviewed by David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, and David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.A.M., Inc.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/27/2013 2:48 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello, I already read this information, the issue is that doctors believe that my continuous leg pain is due to this syndrome or peripheral diabetic neuropathy.I have diagnosed me diabetes in August but I suffer it for 4 years without knowing it, weighed 96 kg and now I am in 60 and I still lose weight.

Before starting to treat me diabetes I had no pain of any kind and that is why I thought it could be related.

luisjmlky's profile photo
luisjmlky
10/01/2013 1:47 p.m.

Sometimes medicines have side effects.I sometimes suffer from restless legs- is one of the many symptoms that come and go.More or less I have noticed a correlation between a healthy lifestyle and calm legs -like all other symptoms tend to decrease and even disappear.What is healthy lifestyle, I think you have to define it.You have to find what works and then be constant.

zumo123's profile photo
zumo123
06/16/2015 6:55 a.m.

Hello Louisjmlky
I also suffer from time to time and they spend showering my leg (usually happens to me alone) with cold water for 4 or 5 minutes in the house shower.Start with very little water to avoid a strong sensation and you are increasing the water from the shower little by little until a good stream comes out.There are also those who spend hot water instead of cold, as Fer indicates in his comment.I had been doing flexions for a long time, but not anymore.It seems that each person has to look for what goes best.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
02/10/2017 4:05 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.