What should I do?

Borgia's profile photo   01/04/2012 1:26 p.m.

To the group:
While for years I had the controlled sugar using Dianben, the nephrolgo decided to change it because I had a component that would affect my kidneys.(I suffer from chronic renal failure).

After several medications changes and not being able to stabilize me, 2mg rephaklin tablets were chosen in three shots complemented with a daily insulin application.

And this is where the story begins:

The doctor told me that if for three shots in a row (or alternated) it would reach 120 glucose or more applied one more unit of the injected insulin, starting with 7 units, but did not clarify to how many units arrive.

The controls were: before breakfast and before dinner.

With 7 units it marked 217 and 235
"9" "204 and 132
"10" "186 and 190
"11" "164 and 163
"12" "189 and 220
"14" "166 (today morning).

Specifically:

As I do not see a constant in the descent of the measurements in relation to the rise of insulin units, I would thank those who have experience in these things their opinion on whether the insulin units could continue to increase (and where) or should already resort to anothertime to the doctor.

It is that with this matter I am totally lost ....... and scared.

Cordially.

Pedro Castillo Estebez
Gran Canaria

and 251

Borgia's profile photo
Borgia
01/04/2012 1:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What kind of insulin?
I imagine that it should be Lantus or Levemir ... You'll tell us.

The repair (I imagine that Prandin or Novonorm) is used to control the glycemia caused by the intake of the meals ... that is, it acts for about 3 hours only.
Therefore, I imagine that the doctor will have chosen to pay slow insulin (Levemir or Lantus).

Slow insulins are used to complement the basic insulin needs of the organism, let's say it is survival insulin.
That is why doses are usually more stable and are not usually modified, except necessary changes due to hypers or hypos.

Maybe you have paid insulin NPH ... that your action and duration is different ...

Anyway, that confirming what insulin you carry and we will tell you better

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/04/2012 2:21 p.m.

Pedro, first of all tranquility, that this is less complicated when known.

You don't tell us what insulin you put on.I deduce that Lantus.Lantus will meet you basal needs (what the body requires without meals) and that for the intakes take the other oral medication.

If the doctor has told you to go up until you get up below 120, that is what you have to do.Go up and wait two or three days before uploading again, because the changes do not always have immediate effect.

You should not be afraid, because there is no limit, at least, if any, you are still well below.Simply monitor that there are no hypoglycemia and get controls more frequently in periods of changes.

And stay calm, that everything will do well.And it never hurts to consult any doubt to the doctor.

Here you have us when you need us.Go telling us how you evolve, okay?

Health and welcome home.

DiabetesForo
01/04/2012 2:22 p.m.

Thanks Alea and Owash for answering my question.

The insulin that I apply is the Lantus - Solostar + Insulin Glargina (?)

As I must go out now, I will analyze more calmly the clarifications that they had good to provide me.

Cordial greetings.

Pedro

Borgia's profile photo
Borgia
01/04/2012 2:43 p.m.

The variations of glycemia that you comment must be due to meals and you probably cannot control them with the Lantus, for many ups or dose declines you do ...

It would be good that in addition to seeing the glycemia, you would point out what you eat: in quantity and type ... it is not the same to eat meat that pasta

DiabetesForo
01/04/2012 3:12 p.m.

I don't know why but reading above all I remember Socrates, who say he said: I just know that I don't know anything !!

Anyway, I rescue what it tells me to gradually rise the doses and see every two or three days how measurements evolve.

And also about writing down what, according to Owash, and I recognize that I might have neglected a little.

Is that I live alone and in terms of meals ......

Thanks friends.I will have them aware.

Greetings.

Pedro
(<!

Borgia's profile photo
Borgia
01/05/2012 10:34 a.m.

Continuing with the topic to raise, and you were well answered, I allow myself to point out that in recent days I have measured:

Day 3 - 12 units: before breakfast 189 / before dinner 220

"4 - 14" "166" 174

"5 - 14" 173 "131

"6 - 15" 127 "122

"7 - 15" 163 "223

"8 - 16" 126 "194

"9-16" 121 ----------

From my total ignorance, it seems to me that with the application of 16 units on the previous night I would be approaching the value that is given as normal on an empty stomach (70 to 130), but I do not know how to relate those units (16) to the values ​​thatIt gives me before dinner.

What opinion do you have?

Cordially.

Pedro

Borgia's profile photo
Borgia
01/09/2012 5:54 a.m.

What time do you eat?What time do you dinner?And, above all, what do you eat?

It would be important to know what foods and in which amounts you have eaten those days and the time that passes between food and dinner.

Continue with 16 units a few more days, and tell us quantity and type of food that you have taken at each meal, and hours in which you have done it.

All the best.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
01/09/2012 7:02 a.m.

I will see Nacho note, although I fear that in the food will be the crux of the matter.And it is that because of my chronic renal failure problem - which limits me the intake of meat and eggs once a week and twice fish - I have largely overturned to the pastes.And I like them a lot!

I am always ingesting something, every two hours or so (yogurt, cheese and so on).

Greetings and thanks.

Pedro

Borgia's profile photo
Borgia
01/09/2012 9:33 a.m.

Try to stay the next few days with three meals a day, to see what these values ​​do.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
01/09/2012 9:57 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.