Diabetes and sport

vivalavida's profile photo   11/20/2013 8:33 a.m.

Good morning:

I am new.I am the mother of a 13 -year -old girl who has debuted in September.He is currently with the honeymoon and after an obstacle race with insulin doses, we have managed to adjust it.

Your guidelines are as follows:

5ui de Lantus
1 UI of Humalog, breakfast, food and dinner (it has been clicking it for a week after meals, because if it did not go too much and arrived more or less with 80 at 2 hours of any food. Now, it arrives between 90 and 110,And as he uses a pen, he can no longer lower insulin, so he puts it later.

Take a diet with the following rations:

Breakfast: 3
Lunch: 2
Food: 6
Snack: 2
Dinner: 5
Recale: 2

She makes tennis from Monday to Friday after school and my question, goes in this direction.

His snack time is at 5:00 p.m., and as the endocrine told us, we must increase 1 ration to go to tennis.

Its tennis class is at 6:00 p.m.Before starting the class it is measured to see if you need extra ration of HC or not.And it has been 5 or 6 days before starting between 90 and 100 glucose.Then a juice is taken, and at 30 minutes of exercise it is measured again, and here comes the weird, it gives 70 or even one day 62. Another juice is taken and no longer continues to do sports.

My question is what you think can be the cause of the low glucose drop, because it surprises me that in half an hour it will give you time to consume so much.I would also like to hear your ideas what we should do, if you take 2 juices instead of 1. I don't know if this is good, because I think being based on juices and hypoglycemia is not highly recommended.

Let's see if you can throw me a little hand, that you look very expert to everyone.

A kiss and thank you very much.

Eve

vivalavida's profile photo
vivalavida
11/20/2013 8:33 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Eva.Welcome to the forum.

My son is also 13 years old and also debuted in September ... but two years ago.
Unfortunately it is not as an athlete as I would like, but it does have a couple of days after school.

How does your daughter usually get to dinner?It is important to know if the descent is because "consume" the HC of the juice with the sport or if it is because it does not rise enough.

Assuming that there are well to dinner, I can think of several things you could do.Is a question of proveing ​​what gives better result:
- What values ​​do you have at 5:00 p.m.?If they are normal (80-120), I would give three servings at 5:00 p.m. instead of two (it is the one I would choose)
- Is the juice fast (normal juice) or slow (without added sugars)?And how much is taken?I would give 1HC of fast juice (100ml) and a pair of cookies before starting tennis if it is in those fair values.
- Another possibility, if it does not arrive very fair at 5:00 p.m., it is a little later, around 5:45 p.m. (even in this case, it may be better to give it more than 2HC).

While I am on a honeymoon, in my experience the control is more difficult.Then it is still complicated at these ages with so revolutionized hormones, but at least you know the insulin in your body.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
11/20/2013 9:17 a.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Hi @Vivalavida and welcome to the forum!

Here are some messages on the subject, I think you will find them interesting.;-)

Type 1 diabetes and sport
Recently I went to the endocrine for a routine review, and I asked him about physical exercise, sport and that, that if it was good to control glycemia and/or ...
Link
Diabetes and sport
Hello everyone, I have been diabetic for 15 years and a bomb user for 2.5.I am 36 years old.I'm going to run 3 or 4 times a week between ...
Link
"Risk" Diabetes and Sports
I have opened it because we are sure that we are more than one or two that we practiced (or practiced before debuting) some of these sports called ...
Link
Diabetes and sport
Hello everyone!!I propose this topic in case any of you can advise me a bit when it comes to sports.I have received the basic notions through ...
Link

fer's profile photo
fer
11/20/2013 10:40 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello, thank you very much for your answers.It has excited me the speed with which you have answered me, because between visiting and visiting doctors, you feel a bit alone when making decisions.Then they tell you that very well, but while ... it gives a little vertigo.

Andrés, I tell you, I also find it difficult to control the honeymoon.Since we are at home, I do not know a value above 200 mg and has been promptly and at the beginning of everything.The rest has been a race down doses of insulins and cramming her to eat so that she does not enter hiccups, even at night, arouse it.The fact is that she is being strong, and she is taking out the positive side of all this, and I can only thank her for the fortitude lesson that is giving us all.We haven't heard it complain.

And leaving the sentimentalisms, I tell you:

* At 5:00 p.m.I always give you one more ration, that is, three in total.
* At 18.00 it arrives between 90-100 and takes a juice with sugar.
*At half an hour I was in 70, so he left the class.

Yesterday we tried something else:

*At 5:00 p.m., snack, that is, three in total.
* At 18.00 he arrived between 90-100 and took a juice with sugar and 2 glucsport pills
*At half an hour I was in 83, and another juice was taken.
* Ended with 123.

How do you see it?You think I should give two more glucosport pills or leave it like this.

Another question that I have is the results of Glucosport.Do glucose rise as quickly as a sugary fruit juice?I have observed that it does not upload the same, but I do not understand why.

And another thing, although sports, having to complete with Glucosport and fruit juice, willn't it gain weight?

Thanks for answering me ..

vivalavida
11/21/2013 4:17 a.m.

And why don't you try not to put insulin in food ???I see that he gets so little insulin and if he does so much sport and goes down so much during the afternoon, you should talk to his doctor and remove insulin, until the honeymoon ends.Even Lantus because sport also produces glucose drops hours after doing so.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/21/2013 4:35 a.m.

What Prado says also seems very good option.

Indeed, we have also noticed that Glucosport does not raise glucose very fast.
There are some 1.5HC rapid absorption diabalance envelopes that are going very well ... but they are somewhat expensive.They are bought in the pharmacy.The Glucosport is not very cheap.There is one in 0.66HC liquid format every blister that is surely assimilated faster.

If in the end there were two juices (2HC) and two glycosport pills (0.5HC), I would try what I told you: 1 HC juice and 1HC cookies (even the prince cookies with their chocolate that are a ratione.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
11/21/2013 5:48 a.m.

Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

I forgot ... Glory at age 13 being a athlete?!?!?They burn that and more.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
11/21/2013 6:12 a.m.

Thank youss ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

To remove the insulin I had thought about it, but it is a doctor on December 9, so until then ..... I decided to put it after eating.That is what they explained to me to do in case I arrived below 90 before meals, so that occurred to me.

I do not know very well how to hit, because I have read that on the honeymoon it is better to leave them with some insulin to extend the reserves of the pancreas more.

I know that Humalog does not need, because when he began to puncture after eating, he has had three forgetfulness, and I was at perfect levels! But without consulting the doctor she is afraid to make that decision.I don't dare.

Another things .... I still do not dominate the inclusion of sugar.I have become an expert in counting rations, but all without sugar.And as I see that you talk to me about prince cookies, that it is crazy ... do they tell 1 ration and that's it?Or I have to take more information because they will carry sugar jet ...

And one more ... is normal to have at 3.00 in the morning and at 6.00 in the morning 122?I don't understand it, it's the first day this happens.

Kisses to all.

vivalavida
11/21/2013 7:15 a.m.

Prince cookies:
Link

As you can see, a cookie = 10g of HC = 1 ration.
They have more sugar than the cookies María Fontaneda of a lifetime ( Link but as they also have more fat, what is eaten by what is served.That is, they go up slowly ... and they are very rich.The only problem I see is that you always want to take one more!

As for the measurements you put, where do you have to sign?
As you have read and how you will realize, the value when getting up is the most difficult to control.And even more in growth stage.
We have already notified the endocrine that it is possible that for a period we have to put insulin at dawn.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
11/21/2013 8:08 a.m.

Hi @VUVALAVIDA !!!I would like not to have to welcome you, but since we are, because you welcome you to this forum that gives so much and so much helps us.
I saw myself the same as you, with my little son, and also adjusting doses (of insulating, tomorrow and night), madness.He is losing his fear little by little and I compare it to when his older brother was born and we take it home and at first you do not know if you do it right or badly ... it is a bit like that.
My son is also on honeymoon, or so I think, because still (except for occasions) we put quick insulin.That if we adjust the slow a lot and if two days, and even one, this tall we touch the slow units to put but do not put quickly at all.He also does sports after school and almost always carries an actimel and a banana, even so yesterday I arrive at dinner with 63 !!That we did down the fast and see how today.I will tell you so that you can compare the amount of sport you do: Basketball 3 days and 1 day coincides with Physics (yesterday) and the Saturdays usually have basketball game and also goes to a pool (Saturdays only).
It only has a two days that do not exercise that are on Sundays and on Tuesdays, but on Tuesdays I make you walk a little, do not see how it shows the day that rains a lot and we cannot walk and on Sundays are also noticed but it would already be aBeef put more exercise on Sunday.
As for the rations there is a post that explains it great, but in principle they told me to take into account the H.C.Without counting "apart" the sugars that H.C.are.What happens is that when you see the compositions of food and see that it puts total H.C: x, of which Ázucares x/2, p.eg.The Ázucares will be the fast H.C and the others are the slow ones.
I do not know if I expose me too well, I hope that if and that it has helped you.
Kisses

Enma's profile photo
Enma
11/21/2013 8:13 a.m.

Diabética tipo 3
Mamá de Iago (14 años)
Lantus 25 uds
Apidra a demanda
Freestyle libre
@enma

Well, thank you very much, your help has served me a lot.

Kisses to all.

vivalavida
11/21/2013 9:32 a.m.

If you are perfect without Humalog, don't put it on.The glucometer is the one that rules.
With so many juices you are feeding the insulin and will not sit very well.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/21/2013 10:55 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello everyone.I already wrote in another thread asking about sport because it is something that interests me a lot.How my daughter already said debuted four months ago with fourteen years recently.She did and does competition sports (rhythmic gymnastics) and trains an average of five days a week about three hours a day.As you can see it is a lot and we think it could not with it.To deny that it has cost us a lot to find the measure so that she can follow the rhythm but with patience everything is possible.She is now on a honeymoon and except counted occasions she doesn't have to puncture quickly, just slow at night.They recommended that if their values ​​were below 100 before eating and was going to do sports, it would not be punctured quickly.Also before starting the sport he takes a couple of Maria cookies and in the middle of the training eating trozitos.It works very well.I hope our little tricks serve you although we are still very new in this.And thank you all for your comments because you learn from everything.All the best

cristinusky's profile photo
cristinusky
11/21/2013 3:10 p.m.

Well, it has served me a lot.I'm about to dare to remove the dose of food from food.

Thank you very much, you are charming.

Kisses

vivalavida
11/22/2013 2:40 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.