Sergio Jornet: "I was diagnosed with diabetes, which led me to athletics"

fer's profile photo   11/26/2013 6:37 a.m.

The diabetes that were discovered when he was 10 is to blame for Sergio Jornet today to be one of the most promising athletes of the regional athletic panorama.

So much so that Barcelona - the second most important club of Spanish athletics behind the beaches of Castellón - has just signed as one of the firm promises of the Spanish decathlon.

Torreño by birth and son of Catalan father, the diabetes that was presented to him when he was ten years old forced him to leave football - he was at the Municipal School of Las Torres - because the doctors recommended to walk.

SJ- I began to jog for the mountain, I took hobby and here I continue.I thought I could dedicate myself to athletics.

- Didn't diabetes prevent it?
SJ- Upon upside down.Thanks to her I got to athletics.The key to controlling diabetes is good nutrition, physical exercise and dosing insulin.

- And why dedicate yourself to decathlon?
SJ- I started practicing cross and then I went to track athletics.And as I liked all the disciplines, I thought I could combine them in the decathlon.

- What test dominates more?
SJ- Of all the modalities, in which I develop is best in length of length and in 100 meters.

- Now he goes to Barcelona.Being his Catalan father, he will have made him illusion, right?
SJ- Of course.Barcelona is one of the two most powerful clubs in Spain, along with the beaches of Castellón.With my incorporation to the Catalan club, a series of unsuspected possibilities for my future in athletics are opened.

- And he will say that he is from Barcelona of a lifetime, right?
Sj- Well yes, it's true.Since childhood I have been from Barcelona, ​​which is quite normal given that my father is Catalan and Barcelona.He instilled in me the fondness for Barca colors.

- Can you call Antonio Peñalver's successor?By the way, do you know you?
SJ- It is my reference in athletics.I could not see him in the Barcelona Games because I was not born in 1992, but then I have seen him on television and video and is one of my referents in athletics, along with the Marchor Juan Manuel Molina.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/26/2013 6:37 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.