{'en': 'Diabetes Mody', 'es': 'Diabetes Mody'} Image

Diabetes Mody

fer's profile photo   11/26/2013 6:54 a.m.

Modly diabetes is a rare type of diabetes, only 1% of diabetics are of this type, so it is common for diagnosed people to have many doubts, I hope to clarify them with the following answers:

1.- What is MODY type diabetes?
It is a rare type of diabetes.It is estimated that 1 in 100 diabetic people have it.

It is due to a genetic problem of dominant inheritance, that is, that it is strongly transmitted from parents to children.A person with Diabetes Modly will transmit it approximately half of his children.

To diagnose it, it is an indispensable requirement for the father or mother to have diabetes, even very slight.They are families in which there are parents, children, grandparents and cousins ​​with diabetes.

It is usually diagnosed in childhood or youth, and does not need insulin, at least for some years.

2.- How many types of diabetes Modly are there?
6 different types are known, but the most common are the MODY 2 and MODY 3:

- Characteristics of MODY 2:
Or it is usually diagnosed in childhood, although there are many adults who have it and do not know.
Or glucose levels are not very high (less than 160 mg/dl), and no normally need any type of treatment.
Or unlike the other types of diabetes do not produce with time damage to the retina, kidneys, heart etc.
Or women with this type of diabetes can be detected for the first time in pregnancy, when the glucose curve is made.After pregnancy they usually maintain high glucose.

- MODY 3:
or it is usually diagnosed between 14 and 30 years.
Or it is a progressive disease: at first it is treated with diet, but over the years, antidiabetic pills and even insulin will be needed.Lately it has been discovered that it is a diabetes that responds very well to a type of antidiabetics, even in some cases in which the patient has been treated with insulin years.
Or if long -term glycemia values ​​are not well controlled, it can cause alterations in the retina, kidney, heart, etc., as in youth diabetes and adult diabetes.

3.- How do you diagnose MODY type diabetes?
To know the diagnosis safely it is necessary to make the genetic diagnosis.

It is only necessary to extract a small blood tube (as for any routine analysis).A doctor specializing in diabetes can tell you if it is indicated in your case.

4.- Why is it important to do the genetic study?
Or if Modly 2 is diagnosed, you will know that your diabetes will not go anymore, you will not normally have complications and will not need treatment.You can reassure other members of your family who also have it.
or if Modly 3 is diagnosed, a type of antidiabetics appropriate to that disease will be treated.It is likely that if it has insulin (you or any family member) can be changed to pills, at least for some years.

5.- They have always told me that I have youth diabetes or diabetes.Can I have MODY diabetes?

- Suspect if:
or his father or mother, in addition to grandparents or cousins, have diabetes.
Or it was treated with diet or pills, and did not need insulin during the first years of the diagnosis, or your doctor has told you that your pancreas still manufactures insulin.

6.- I have always been told that I have adult diabetes or type 2 diabetes. Can I have MODY diabetes?
- Suspect if:
or his father or mother, in addition to grandparents or cousins, have diabetes.
or was diagnosed before 40 years.
or it has no overweight or obesity.
or does not have tension or high cholesterol.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/26/2013 6:54 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you Fer for opening this topic, I am going to tell you my personal story in case someone can serve or be more alert, since for years it goes unnoticed or poorly treated.
My paternal grandmother was a diabetic, she died young because of a wound that began on a finger and ended with the amputation of the two legs, it was evidently 33 years ago when this disease was almost unknown.
My father debuted with thirty-few, they began to deal with oral antidiabetics, about 45 years in a very short time lost a lotThey entered and tested at the hospital and diagnosed an II.
Insulin was injected 3 times a day, but it is not said with certainty, if it was the "fast" with which we corrected the glycemia in the meals, it had many hypoglycemia, I never had it high.
At 53 he died of cancer, but I must say that the poorly treated sugar made him a lot of dent in the body, glaucoma, poor circulation, extreme tiredness ........
And now the 3rd generation arrives, a 33 -year -old girl with 3 children and eager to do things well.
With 18 years in a routine analytical of my company, my basal was 143, when I wantedI was altered before, but nothing did not pay me attention to me and after making the glycemia curve they put me 4u of "fast" insulin and after several hypoglycemia I suspended it alone and days later I talked to my endocrine.
When I arrive at my 38 weeks of gestation and following a diet, my private gynecologist told me that the girl should be born already, because if not my sugar would break down and there could be danger that it would become very large.
When I went to my next revision with my endocrine and gynecologist at the s.s they did not mention at any time advance the birth, the girl would weigh according to them at birth 2'700 as much .......... 40 + 1 passedThe girl was born with a hypoglycemia and 3kg and a half, it had done in a short time bigger than what they thought and my sugar had decompensated, but they had not realized.
Between my first daughter and the second no one reviewed my sugar again.
When I got pregnant with the second one, we have a diet, but in the 38th week of pregnancy my endocrine was not and I was attended by another that caused my birth because my sugar had decompensated .... The girl was born loss of weight but perfect.
I asked for a review with this endocrine that made me a pancreas test and told me that I had an eaten glucose, which had all the ballots to debut, I did not know when, but it was my destiny.
The little boy was born under her supervision and was all great !!!!.
When at 25 I had my third child I did not step on the endocrine, since every 3 months they did the analytics in my health center and gave the hemoglobin a little high but nothing alarming.
It has been in May of this year when my family doctor not very satisfied, he has sent me to my endocrine and when they have seen my hemoglobins in graphics from 18 until now they realize that they are going up, they make me my family tree and aPar of more tests and they tell me that my pancreas works very little and that they put me insulin directly, that I had a mody 3 (possibly) and that perhaps they had to have detected it before (it will not be because of the times they have seen me!!)
One of my children has already been born with it, since 50 percent of your descendants inherit it ....... here my great suffering comes ....... With the crisis they do not test meGenetic to ensure it with which, if I do not have them made to my children they do not make them.
Before frustration and guilt,I thought which of them I needed to teach to eat ......... and with all my optimism and as I have said at first, my desire to do well, I am educating and teaching to live with diabetes at 3.
I am very sorry if I have bored you with the summary of my life, but I would not like anyone to go through the helplessness that I pass, by the agony of seeing the years without knowing when it will touch you, to see how the people of thewhich you have inherited their genes left too soon, without even knowing that their disease was not the diagnosed, or as terrible as they painted it .........
Greetings and thank you very much for being there .........

Arania's profile photo
Arania
11/26/2013 6:14 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You are very strong @arania I do not know if I will have children ... a reason is that it is diabetic of birth ... and well, the stress that the kids give, the attention ... the nights in candle ... I thinkI would not know how to do it ... I also say that I am 27 years old ... that the work is as it is, that I live with my parents, that I have not been able to develop as an independent person, and an endless factors ... but well, thank youfor sharing a hug !!

Marcos_J_M's profile photo
Marcos_J_M
04/15/2016 11:42 a.m.

Marcos - 26 años - Debut a los 14
Sevilla - HbA1c 5.5

I am still waiting to know what type of diabetes I have, but the endocrine told me about the Mody and Lada ... until now I only controlled me carrying a healthy diet, and now with the pregnancy I started with the fast insulin at minimum doses forThe noon, between 2 and 3 units I usually put on.
With this of the crisis ... I also have my doubts that they do the genetic study, because I know that it is expensive, so I do not know very well where my story will end.I try to take care of the best I can, and we'll see.

pikelinda's profile photo
pikelinda
04/15/2016 8:17 p.m.

Diagnosticada en 2015 tipo 2/Mody??
Controlada con dieta y ejercicio
Ultima hemo: 5.5

I am the same as you and Lara has already given me the genetic study.Although in theory I had to be done and when I went to the endocrine there was nothing done

Nila's profile photo
Nila
04/15/2016 10:49 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

Hello everyone, 2 days ago they gave me the result of the genetic study of my son since his father is mody 3 and unfortunately my son is a carrier of the gene.At some point before the 25 years he would debut.After the disgust, and several conversations with professionals, the conclusion and the medical council is to "forget" for now.There is no restriction to do but of course start instilling healthy habits in your life.I imagine that the page will not let me put swear words but it is a p..ada.I have read as much as possible in this regard but indeed there is not too much information on diabetes mody pq the diagnosed are less than 3 percent of all diabetics.Many people diagnosed in type 1 are mody without knowing it since until recently it has not been much investigated about this variant.Any additional information please post it so that we all benefit.Greetings to all

monimat's profile photo
monimat
11/14/2016 7:43 p.m.

monimat said:
hello everyone, 2 days ago they gave me the result of my son's genetic study since his father is mody 3 and unfortunately my son is a bearer of the gene.At some point before the 25 years he would debut.After the disgust, and several conversations with professionals, the conclusion and the medical council is to "forget" for now.There is no restriction to do but of course start instilling healthy habits in your life.I imagine that the page will not let me put swear words but it is a p..ada.I have read as much as possible in this regard but indeed there is not too much information on diabetes mody pq the diagnosed are less than 3 percent of all diabetics.Many people diagnosed in type 1 are mody without knowing it since until recently it has not been much investigated about this variant.Any additional information please post it so that we all benefit.Greetings to all

Sorry to ask you, how long has genetic analysis taken?They take me dizzy more than a year

Nila's profile photo
Nila
11/16/2016 2:37 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

I am also waiting for those results for months.A question with the mody can you also debut with ketoacidosis?They take me dizzy a thousand and have not even evidenced me of antibodies.At the moment I am quick and slow insulin.14 U of Tougeo and fast according to what eate.

losttotheriver's profile photo
losttotheriver
08/18/2017 5:50 p.m.

In my case they did the study to rule out.And really, I'm still today without knowing which I have.I have no antibodies, I have always been very thin and I only have my diabetic grandmother 2 but of course, obese and sedentary.I debuted in pregnancy and 6 years later I continue with only 8 of Lantus, together with sport.Although just now, I am uncontrolled by a hip injury and I am lost.They did the study because I descend from the Basque Country and there it seems to be there is a high percentage of Modly, if I remember correctly.

If I am sincere I would say that it was a 1 about to debut at 28 but that it gave my face before being pregnant and making the glucose curve, and as I have cared for a lot these years, I lengthened the reserve.My humble opinion, or perhaps it is a strain with its slow progression, we go a mystery 8- |

pochola's profile photo
pochola
12/05/2017 5:31 p.m.

DM1 desde 2011 8 puntos Lantus. Todo esfuerzo traerá su recompensa ♥ Hemo 5.7

Hello, after 20 years having a rare diabetes (nobody knew why I disappeared, I needed insulin or suddenly only metformin) they decided to do genetic tests and I gave me positive mody.And of my two children, a positive one and the negative girl.They fulfill the rule of the fourth generation.My son has adapted quite well to diamicron, but not.I was taking Synjardi for two years, and I was phenomenal, but as the Mody diagnose, they have begun to change the medication and I am fatal.They have changed to Jardiance and suspended since it has caused me many fungi and glycems of 200 on an empty stomach.They continued with diamicron 30 and also suspended since I woke up with 40 and 50/45 hypos.Now I am taking glymepirida 1 mg.And it causes me hypos in the middle of the morning and has made me fat 5 kilos in a short time.
What medication do you take you?
Thank you so much

puri's profile photo
puri
04/08/2019 4:08 p.m.

My son was diagnosed Modly5 nonspecific, we will see a geneticist to see if there is any more study

patriciavecchia's profile photo
patriciavecchia
04/08/2019 6:50 p.m.

Our studies of Modly 2 and Modly 3 Q gave negative it took a year ... we made them at the Hospital de Clínicas Argentina and the remaining 13 Modly did it in a private laboratory and took 45 days ..

patriciavecchia's profile photo
patriciavecchia
04/08/2019 6:55 p.m.

Good, in my case I have the genetic exams and what was my surprise what I have 2 types of MODY, MODY 2 and MODY 12 😪🤷‍♀️ If I am very rare ... In principle a one comes from the father's part and theAnother mother.

sms's profile photo
sms
12/17/2019 8:34 a.m.

Caray!, @Sms yes that is weird, yes ... how do you carry it?

fer's profile photo
fer
12/17/2019 8:49 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer in principle well because for now I am taking it, my brother instead has the same mody as me, but he is with metformin and insulin.

sms's profile photo
sms
12/17/2019 9:12 a.m.

nila said:
monimat said:
hello everyone, 2 days ago they gave me the result of my son's genetic study since his father is mody 3And unfortunately my son is a bearer of the gene.At some point before the 25 years he would debut.After the disgust, and several conversations with professionals, the conclusion and the medical council is to "forget" for now.There is no restriction to do but of course start instilling healthy habits in your life.I imagine that the page will not let me put swear words but it is a p..ada.I have read as much as possible in this regard but indeed there is not too much information on diabetes mody pq the diagnosed are less than 3 percent of all diabetics.Many people diagnosed in type 1 are mody without knowing it since until recently it has not been much investigated about this variant.Any additional information please post it so that we all benefit.Greetings to all

Sorry to ask you, how long has genetic analysis taken?They get me dizzy more than a year

Hello, I am Modly 5 and the genetic study of 2 months, after sending the sagre hidden to analyze.

The important thing is that you "touch" an endocrine that wants to ask for the study.

Amga's profile photo
Amga
09/23/2023 10:39 p.m.

Patriciavecchia said:
My son was diagnosed Modly5 nonspecific we will see a geneticist to see if there is any more study

Hello, I also have MODY5.
Where do you live?A geneticist?I think in Spain we don't have that specialty.

Amga's profile photo
Amga
09/23/2023 10:43 p.m.

I was done to me for social security.The endocrine and the genetic unit.

Nila's profile photo
Nila
09/27/2023 12:06 a.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.