Lost on the subject ...

lusia's profile photo   02/13/2014 7:25 a.m.

Good! 1 My name is Lucia and I am new in this, my 49 -year -old father has diagnosed diabetes and the truth is that I am very lost on the subject, mostly in his day to day.For example, things that can eat, drink and so on.I know that you should avoid everything that carries glucose but for example, if one day you want to take a gin, which would be the best and with what tonic?Are there doubts like this ... also for example, beer or red wine?I know they are for more special occasions but of course it is fine to know.Then on food issues ... Pasta, rice and others?What types of meat?
Well thank you very much in advance.

lusia's profile photo
lusia
02/13/2014 7:25 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, welcome.
You request a lot of information that is not easy to answer in a comment.You generally raise the food regime of a diabetic.First, not all cases are the same, there are different types of diabetes and with variable incidence degrees.
Therefore, it will always be better than the doctor to report on the diet to follow, and regardless of it, my recommendation as a diabetic is that controlling this disease is an experience that is acquired day by day.That is, the patient will gradually know the foods that best tolerate, the amounts, the hours, etc.For that, obviously, several measurements have to be made a day to know the reaction to certain foods or the amounts you eat.
If it is type II, that by age I consider that it is the type of diabetes that your father has, it will have to avoid direct sugar (sweets in general).Avoid products that carry glucose (glucose syrup is present in many foods).Hydrates also control them, that is, little bread or food in general that carry flour, few potatoes, also rice and pasta you have to reduce them.Fruits, care, depends on the type.They are acceptable apples or pears.You have to be careful with others such as grapes, melon, figs, etc ... better to eat them in the middle of the afternoon, as a snack.Meats in general, being proteins, can be eaten with less risks, avoiding those that are very fat.If they eat the iron, better.
Alcohol, also moderate;Better wine than beer.
But I repeat, the doctor or best endocrine, will be the one who marks the guidelines depending on the characteristics and evolution of his diabetes.
On the other hand, here on the Internet there are many pages and forums where you can receive extensive information and advice of all kinds.But always, remember ... Nothing can be taken generally, each diabetic is a world.
All the best.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
02/13/2014 9:20 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.