{'en': 'Insulin and heat', 'es': 'Insulina y calor'} Image

Insulin and heat

DiabetesForo's profile photo   07/13/2014 7:29 a.m.

This issue that I raise is already known for all of you, but in case someone is good for this experience, I wanted to comment.

We know that insulin must be saved refrigerated, except for the "boli" that we are using, and according to the instructions this insulin that we use daily usually has a validity outside the fridge of twenty -seventh days.

Well, a few days ago I started having completely out of control levels, without having varied my food and exercise habits.

Of course I worry and I can't understand what is due, until in the end I make a reflection, about the state of insulin.Reside in a city where now in summer it is normal for the 20º to be exceeded at home during the day and night.

The insulin pen was already at the end, that is, it was about 15 or 20 days at room temperature.

I decided to discard how little it was and click on another refrigerator pen.

The levels have returned to the usual ones in me, and therefore, it is clear, insulin had spoiled.

Since then, I also keep the feather of use in the refrigerator.

As they advise us, the fact of having it outside is only because cold insulin can hurt a little when injecting it.Well, I sincerely do not make a difference, so seen what has been seen, during the summer, always insulin in the refrigerator.

Greetings and happy vacations to all.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/13/2014 7:29 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks for the information, Miguel.I have also observed q, the last days of open insulin, makes less effect ..., although as it does not always happen, you can not be sure ... but it is true that it is better to keep the ball in the fridge as long as it can.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/13/2014 1:31 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello again friend!You will see ... since I have reason I have always seen insulin in the fridge !!!(Even if they say now that it is not necessary !!!When my mother lived there were only roads and kept in the fridge (even who, so that she does not give her light, wraps her on albal paper). Then my niece and my tia (which if they use bolis) also keep itAlways in the fridge (even in winter and when they go to a restaurant they ask the waiters who please keep it cold ...).Specifically they always put it at the door of the frigo because if it is put elsewhere you run the risk of touching the cold walls and freezing (insulin is very delicate).The truth is that this is the first news that I have that cold hurts more ... but I am going to give you a truqui: take the habit of getting it out of the fridge when you start preparing the food, so while you cook, you putThe table, you pipi, you wash your hands, shrink your wife -hahaha- and others ... Well, insulin is tempering without giving time to spoil!After putting it on, so if, again cold (I'm what I do with the fruit in summer because at room temperature it is broken and direct from the frigo causes me to teeth pain).You will tell me if "my little home remedy" works for you.
Well, hey ... I'm very happy, a lot and I touched that alone. It has been that (and not that they had to change the medication).Now to celebrate it you take a mini-chup of your preferred liquor to my health with a chocolate cookie without sugar mmm and imagine in Hawaii surrounded by native beauties, "hahaha.A strong gorgeous hug."Ta then."

nina45's profile photo
nina45
07/13/2014 3:21 p.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

Hello,
Doesn't anything straight notice in insulin when it becomes "bad"?Like another color or thickness, I don't know ... I say it to be attentive, just in case it ever happens to me!

I keep the insulin unopened in the fridge, and the one I am always using it in a cold wallet, which remains cool but not as cold as in the fridge, I recommend it.Because it is true that it hurts more when it is cold from the fridge, but it only shows if you get a lot.I kept it in the fridge when I used 38 units of Lantus and did notice the temperature difference!But with 2 or 4 units of fast no, because it is "little."

Laire's profile photo
Laire
07/13/2014 8:08 p.m.

22 años. Tipo 1, debut 06/2014.
22 u. Lantus por las mañanas + Apidra

Laire, I have not noticed absolutely anything, neither in color nor other appearance.But it is true that this cartridge was already ineffective.The important thing about insulin in the fridge is that it does not crystallize, you have to avoid excessive cold and put it in the lowest or at the door.I insist that I do not make a difference between injecting it cold or at room temperature.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/14/2014 2:04 a.m.

Ala, I have stayed with stone, I did not know that even the use ball could be left in the fridge or punctuated the cold ball, I thought that the same depended on the type of insulin, I use a quick ball and another of Lantus,And so far I have in the fridge the new ones that I have not opened, and the one I use I carry it in my bag, but without refrigerating or neverite or anything, as I spend the quick in 10 days approx and the lantus in about 15 noI have worried.But last week I returned from a trip that took reserve bolis, once I arrived at destination I put them in the fridge of the room but I did not use them, and once I have returned with the trajín of the clothes, the house and the work, I forgot to put them in the fridge, and now they will take about 4 days out of the fridge and I don't know what to do with those bowling.Will they still valid?Will it be bad if I put them back in the fridge?Another question that assaults me, if the ball that I use I put it in my bag throughout the day (because I go to work or eat outside ...) and when I arrive home at night, could I put it back to the fridge andtake it out the next morning to take it all day in the bag?It would not be bad to put and get out of the fridge so many hours apart?

valky's profile photo
valky
09/06/2014 9:31 p.m.

DM1 Debut diciembre 2004.

Valky, nothing happens to put it in the fridge after opening it and having it outside .. it always remains better at a lower temperature.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/06/2014 9:44 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Nothing happens with the ball that you are in use, but those that "left" from the trip and have taken them to put them in the fridge ... those expire at 28 days approx.

mimbek's profile photo
mimbek
09/07/2014 4:47 p.m.

Reflot this thread because I also have doubts, to vary ...
Now in Valencia it does not fall from 30 degrees almost during the day, and in my house, as another compi said, it is also hot.I follow the guidelines that the two endocrine and a couple of nurses have given me: the unused, in the fridge;those that are being used, at room temperature.But of course, if you go down the street for a while, it's very hot.So I looked for in pharmacies something small, fair case, to carry it in my backpack (I am not interested in large neveritas for day to day; another thing would be trips ...).After searching in multiple pharmacies, they had nothing in any: -o.In the end I got a kind of adequate case to wear snacks (in a home-cocina thing store), which has the internal insulation coating.I do not know if it is enough to protect from high temperatures (in the prospects it puts maximum 24 degrees, and doctors say 30) so I put a gel over of those for injuries.The fact is that it gives me something that cools too much ... Everything is doubts.When I take out the pen it is very cold (and it hurts me more; the solution is to take it out before, but sometimes you cannot or do not remember).The feathers do not put them in direct contact with the gel, but in turn they go inside another smaller man.
Anyway, rolls, as I see that we all have

By the way, what is that of a cold portfolio commented by Laire?I guess the same thing that I carry, but my question is if there is something more specialized for the subject, instead of using thermos for snacks ..., and where you find it.

Merci

imara's profile photo
imara
07/11/2016 2:37 p.m.

The cold wallet is the best.You just need water to activate and hard three or four days or more.Maintain insulin at an adequate temperature.
In the forum store you can find them all sizes.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/11/2016 6:15 p.m.

Completely agree and use it and it is the most comfortable, it functions as a botijo, by evaporation it slightly cools what is inside, do not expect that it cools like a fridge but let's say that what is inside is not heated inside.

fjf's profile photo
fjf
07/11/2016 6:54 p.m.

Thank you :-) I just found several threads that talk about it.Let's see if I try it.

imara's profile photo
imara
07/12/2016 12:21 p.m.

Hello everyone.
I happened to Miguel, Fura of Control, throw the pen and again normal, I no longer leave it out or in winter, I am convinced that they inform us badly.

Greetings

Rodrigo's profile photo
Rodrigo
07/12/2016 5:50 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.