Good news about research

anahi's profile photo   06/14/2008 1:02 p.m.

I copy them an article that a friend sent me, about investigations to reverse the DM T1

A combination of drugs could reverse type 1 jano.es diabetes · June 11, 2008 12:34

Within the framework of the scientific sessions of the American Association of Diabetes (ADA), developed in San Francisco, researchers from the University of Virginia, led by Dr. Jerry L. Nadler, presented the promising results obtained with a new strategy designed forRevert type 1 diabetes.

They tested the combination of smoothfilin, developing drug designed to curb immune damage to insulin producing cells, and the protein peptide associated with islet neurogenesis (INGAP), another drug based on a protein, discovered in 1997, which produces thepancreas naturally.

Dr. Nadler explains that type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, caused because the immune system attacks by mistake to their own insulin producing cells.It has long been thought that this damage is irreversible, but new evidence suggests that the pancreas has an innate capacity to self -refill and self -register those destroyed cells.However, in type 1 diabetes, that ability of the pancreas cannot fight against the action of the autoimmune response.

In the study they treated diabetic mice with the combination of lysophylline and Ingop peptide, with separate or placebo drugs.The highest remission rate was achieved in those animals treated first with smoothfilin, in order to depress the immune system, and subsequently treated with the combination of smoothfilin and Ingop peptide.In these mice, the remission rate achieved was 70% after having stopped the treatment in all groups, even in animals with much higher blood glucose levels than before receiving the treatment.

Those who received only the Ingop peptide or with the combination of Ingop and smooth showed significantly higher levels of blood insulin after the treatment than mice received by placebo, concentrations that were similar to those of non -diabetic mice.However, the reversal of hyperglycemia was only observed in animals that received the combination of the two drugs.

"They are very stimulating results," said Dr. Nadler."Since we already know that both drugs are safe, we hope to rehearse this combination in the clinic as a potential therapy for type 1 diabetes."

anahi's profile photo
anahi
06/14/2008 1:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Anahi:
Really this news is encouraging, I am convinced that one day diabetes will be like any other disease that can be cured or even prevent with a vaccine.
It does not have many years for a tuberculosis so many years.
Especially this stimulates me and gives me strength to continue day struggling to get Maria to have as normal glucose levels as possible, so that when that dream day of healing arrives, he has the mimmous possible sequelae.
Ahoa is 7 years old, let's imagine that in 20 years the miracle arrives.With 27 he still has a lifetime ahead.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/14/2008 7:09 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.