Children's camp. Rights and obligations-

juanqui2791's profile photo   03/02/2012 4:24 p.m.

Hello, I wanted to ask everyone the next question.
Some children of the school go to coexistence to a farm-school for four days, my child is 6 years old and I have decided to go, as a consequence I have spoken with the managers of the school farm and there is no problem.
In principle they have said that it is about giving children as much freedom as possible and that they will be with monitors.
That I can do to do it at any time glycemia control.And at any time I can go to kitchens for yogurt or milk or juice what you need.
In principle they told me that the child had to sleep with the other children and there is a monitor all night watching, but they have not put any paste because I have told them that he has to sleep with me.Because it has nightly glymia controls when I notice that it is restless and moves a lot.Or wake up hurting his head if he has a hypo.
They have also accepted and none paste in principle.
Now my doubts come.You think they are going to get fed up if they bother them a lot with the issue of controls when they are doing some activity.
When all other children sleep together this is special and have to sleep with me.
That the food weigh, when they go to eat.
That he will give him the snack to him, when he touches him in the afternoon, or in the middle of the morning.
Let the insulin get when you have to eat.
There is a very long series of conditions, which seem to be against normalization, and that others understand this disease.
The only thing I want is for the boy to have a good time.
If someone from you has gone through this, to tell me their experience.

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
03/02/2012 4:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Juanqui, I understand your concern, but look you don't have to have "Stockholm Syndrome", your child has medical needs that have to be met, if those of the camp bothers them, which does not have why, it is their problem.I have had many problems at school, so I'm scald, my advice is that you carry a medical report where I put the needs of your child, how many times you have to measure it, such as acting before a hiccup, insulin, food etc.., If they get silly, you teach it, as I see that they seem reasonable and have not put in principle any paste because you enter your child as many times as you need, with education but either begging and please asking that you are inYour right.Another thing is that your child can feel self -conscious about your presence, in that case try to go alone at the necessary moments, if he wants to sleep with his teammates, you could sleep elsewhere, put on the alarm and enter to measure it at night, I be what I would do, you will spend a horrible night but everything is so that the child enjoys the same as the others.
You will tell us how the experience, little by little we have to let them fly, ayssss what fear:-/

mornita's profile photo
mornita
03/03/2012 7:28 a.m.

Hello, the first thing I see is that I only have 5 years and 11 months, it has not yet turned 6. Then the camping is 200km from home.It is a camp not aimed at diabetic children, therefore, monitors have no idea of ​​the protocol of action in case of hypoglycemia.Moreover, there are people who don't even know what diabetes is.Therefore I want him to feel like any child, so I want him to go and overwhelm him with my presence as little as possible.
In the school we are phenomenal, because his teacher's husband is diabetic and puts the same insulin as my son and she knows all the symptoms of hypoglycemia.
But as you say you have to let them fly, and if it is true fear.
Nothing greetings.

juanqui2791
03/03/2012 8:03 a.m.

Look, when my daughter was little I didn't complicate my life so much.I had hypos at night, so if they went on an excursion or camps, I changed it for something else .. a toy .. A movie day or simply stayed at home playing, and so happy.
But if you see that it will have a bad time for not going, then you see you and do everything you would do with him at home.He is very small to leave him alone.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/04/2012 4:47 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The other day I wrote a tocho and it was erased.Mainly said the same thing that Regina tells you.My mother fooled me at that age and I so happy :) I think you can feel worse in the camp so different from the other children that if you stay at home and so happy.
When you are a little older you can ask you those things.With 11 years I went to a basketball campus "for normal children and young people" :) And I had a speech and nobody noticed my diabetes.I fixed them alone: ​​P

tica's profile photo
tica
03/04/2012 6:02 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

If you have decided to let him go, I would advise you to find out about the type of activity they are going to do and the schedules, so that you can measure him in the times of activity change, or rest.Surely the little one feels better like that.
I guess they will not stop all day, so surely it will have to go down insulin, and give it some extra hydrates ... but if you can make the effort and the child you feel like it, it will surely be a good experience and it will pass it by pipe ..And the sleeping, I intuit that you will also be through the camp or take it home, to a hotel? ... well, however, surely it is compensated to be for the day with his teammates.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
03/05/2012 4:36 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hello! I think the same as Velia.
I do not think you should deprive your child that he goes to the camp and more if you go with him.Small have to miss things.
The camps monitors are very considered on these issues, surely they are involved in anything your child needs.
In the camps the children carry out many activities, it is best that you try not to interrupt the activities of the child, unless it is necessary, and adapt the control schedules a bit, so that it is not the center of attention among their peers, such asThey told you to need extra contribution and probably less insulin.
At night, I will make a lot of illusion to sleep with his teammates, so at least let him fall asleep with them even if you then pass it to your room.
I went to several camps of the school with that age, and as one more, my mother did the controls or gave me something extra if I was short of not stopping, but for the rest with monitors, responsible for the camp ... Singe problem.

carmen.materod's profile photo
carmen.materod
03/06/2012 6:19 a.m.

Thanks for the tips.The camp is in Elche (Alicante) and we live in Albacete, and if at the moment they have not put any paste, but quite the opposite.I suppose they understand.
So we will suffer from 4 days, and I will try not to interrupt its activities, and there is luck.

juanqui2791
03/07/2012 2:40 p.m.

Juanqui, I have to wish you that despite the controls and the bad sleep, you have a good time, especially the child, surely you enjoy seeing him.Do not forget to tell us the return, by the time touches us;).

mornita's profile photo
mornita
03/07/2012 5:14 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.